The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Another Update on the DF Kit

RayM

Hi, Just thought I'd send another quick update on the 645DF kit, this time with the 150D that I recently picked up from Jack. So far so very good. Delighted, frankly. As an example, today I took the rig to a whitewater kayak course we have here in town. While it's not exactly like basketball for action, it's still a moving subject with lots of things to challenge and fool an autofocus mechanism. The DF performed extremely well, frankly, MUCH better than I thought it would, and the 150D was just terrific (I think the word I constantly use in describing the 150 is "clarity." It's just a real superb lens). And the camera, I simply can't believe how much more responsive this system is compared to my Contax. In my experience it's way more accurate, with farless hunting. The hunting/searching isn't completely gone, mind you, but it's a helluva lot better than my Contax ever was. I'm developing real trust in complete this kit and that's really good. Ray

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Hi Ray,

Good update! glad you are enjoying the 150 and DF combo as much as I did. Would you agree with me that the "D" glass from Mamiya/Phase leaves nothing behind to the Contax Zeiss glass? I know several folks still claim superiority, but frankly I don't see it...

K

KWR Phase One

The 150mm D lens is an incredible lens. It offers a wide aperture than the 75-150mm and when used wide open for portraits or something that needs separation from the background it is incredible. The background blurs out so nice. Stop down and the shallow DOF and feel of the lens yield great images.

The 45mm D and 28mm lenses will surprise you too.

I invested many years ago in Contax gear. Have a body and lenses even a big 350mm lens for sale. Frankly, and I know I am a manufacturer rep, but also a true believer in the best image quality and these new Phase One D lenses are incredible. Also, I think the DF camera has nailed it. Coupled with the lenses and firmware upgrades it is a winner combo. Being able to set custom functions on the camera from the digital back is a huge plus. If you haven’t tried a DF camera with a Phase Back and D lenses then you owe it to yourself. Get in touch with one our dealers or attend a PODAS workshop.

RayM

Jack, I have the 45D, 80D, 120D, and 150D. In my opinion, not only have I not lost anything in terms of image quality, I feel I have actually gained substantially in a bunch of areas. One of the biggest reasons I went MF in the first place was to have access to the contax/zeiss 120 Makro. It was and remains a terrific lens. One of the reasons I was having difficulty even thinking about leaving the contax system was because of this lens and its quality. Having used my 120D, I must say that it is in all ways the better lens. I am so incredibly pleased by that. It's been such a terrific surprise for me. I also believe that the head to head the 80D bests the contax 80 (except that the contax is the faster lens at f2). The 45D is sharper than than its contax counterpart. Where do I start on the 150D? My comparison was with the contax 140. The 150D is, I believe, the significantly better lens, to the point where I feel stunned by its quality. For me, I am just so pleased with this new kit. I made a really good decision in moving to it. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to others.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for confirming all that Ray. I suspect your observations will help others trying to decide if they should continue to build on a Contax kit or finally make the break and upgrade...

thomas

Would you agree with me that the "D" glass from Mamiya/Phase leaves nothing behind to the Contax Zeiss glass? I know several folks still claim superiority, but frankly I don't see it...
hups?!? Who? I mean other than those "German glass is superior" believers ...
I only know the Phase 80D from a few samples but I'd say it's better than the Contax Planar 80 wide open. Probably even stopped down... hard to say.
The masterpieces in the Contax line are the 3.5/35 and the 4/120 macro... IMO.
I suspect your observations will help others trying to decide if they should continue to build on a Contax kit or finally make the break and upgrade...
There is much more. I for one would/will never buy a camera without exchangable finder. The simplicity and handling and "feel" of the Contax (and its lenses with an aperture ring) is completely different to a Mamiya/Phase body. Also the vertical grip is very nice.
So unless you need a certain lens or accessory that is not available for Contax there are still many reasons to keep the kit as long as it works. Even if there are Mamiya lenses that match or even exceed the performance of some Contax lenses.

But, hey, of course there won't be a Contax Kit to try on one of those "Podas" sales events ;-)

T.Karma

Jack, I have the 45D, 80D, 120D, and 150D. In my opinion, not only have I not lost anything in terms of image quality, I feel I have actually gained substantially in a bunch of areas. One of the biggest reasons I went MF in the first place was to have access to the contax/zeiss 120 Makro. It was and remains a terrific lens. One of the reasons I was having difficulty even thinking about leaving the contax system was because of this lens and its quality. Having used my 120D, I must say that it is in all ways the better lens. I am so incredibly pleased by that. It's been such a terrific surprise for me. I also believe that the head to head the 80D bests the contax 80 (except that the contax is the faster lens at f2). The 45D is sharper than than its contax counterpart. Where do I start on the 150D? My comparison was with the contax 140. The 150D is, I believe, the significantly better lens, to the point where I feel stunned by its quality. For me, I am just so pleased with this new kit. I made a really good decision in moving to it. I wouldn't hesitate recommending it to others.
My feeling is, at this point of camera development its more about a certain flavour that one should look for. All more modern MF-SLR systems are plenty sharp.
I have not much to compare directly in MF other than the Contax. But what always strikes me on the Contax lenses is the combination of sharpness and softness together (kind of harmony look), if that makes sense. I dont see this as often in other captures that are visible elsewhere.

T.Karma

...... Frankly, and I know I am a manufacturer rep, but also a true believer in the best image quality and these new Phase One D lenses are incredible. Also, I think the DF camera has nailed it. Coupled with the lenses and firmware upgrades it is a winner combo. Being able to set custom functions on the camera from the digital back is a huge plus. If you haven’t tried a DF camera with a Phase Back and D lenses then you owe it to yourself. Get in touch with one our dealers or attend a PODAS workshop.
It is not really that easy: "The best image quality". I could argue that some of the French vintage lenses are making prettier images, than a super dooper resolving 200lp/mm lens. Photographers for the most part are not scientists.
They want to create something that has some kind of emotional impact, conveys a grand idea, etc..
By simply duplicating visual reality into 2D nothing is really gained, except a flat and boring copy of nature. So what has the DF nailed in terms of look ? :)