The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Thinking Of Making The Leap

C

caspita

I have been a long time lurker on this site and luminous landscape. I currently shoot with the 1Ds line from canon, and am contemplating the jump to medium format.

I have pretty much decided on the Hasselblad body so that I can continue to shoot synced at 1/800 regardless of the lens. I also like their lens line up. My question is basically if I would should go with a P45+ back or just order a H4D-40. Would there be any pros or cons in going with one over the other (excluding focus vs. capture and open vs. closed). One of the reasons for me to jump to medium format is the dynamic range and the mega pixels (hate to admit that, but everyday clients want bigger and bigger prints that are extremely sharp).

I would want to use this camera for all of my commercial work as well as my personal work (landscape).

Any words of wisdom are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

Jeffg53

A hybrid Phase/Hasselblad solution will stop you using the newer H lenses like the 28. I think that they only work on H3 and later cameras. I don't know whether the GPS will work with C1 either. Maybe David Grover can help out?

Hi Caspita,

I think the H4D40 would be a great choice (naturally!) if you want to use this for commercial and your landscape work.

The H4D40 has nice clean higher ISO's (more so than the 39MP equivalents), plus 4.5 minutes exposure time also useful for your landscape work.

Jeff (above!) has done a test with the 40 and might like to comment further.

However, your only real way of knowing is to take them in the field and see what system you get on with best.

The GPS solution, will only work on H3D/H4D cameras as it needs to communicate directly with the digital back.

David

Jeffg53

I certainly have tried a 40. Subsequently, I have a 40 on order. My 39 will be sold when it arrives and my A900 has already gone off to be sold. The 40 will meet my needs for landscape, and people shots with excellent ISO 400 and a new monopod setup. I will, for the first time in a long time, have only one camera system.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Welcome to my world Jeff. Exactly what i am doing with a Phase P40+. These two systems can pretty much handle it all.

I agree with David a H40 sounds like the one but as always look at both systems and see what makes the most sense to you. Plenty of data here on both the H40 and P40+ some things may fit you better and some may not.

Jeffg53

Welcome to my world Jeff. Exactly what i am doing with a Phase P40+. These two systems can pretty much handle it all.

I agree with David a H40 sounds like the one but as always look at both systems and see what makes the most sense to you. Plenty of data here on both the H40 and P40+ some things may fit you better and some may not.
I'm delighted to be there Guy. Even though I had the A900 with Zeiss glass. every time I opened an image, I was disappointed with what I saw. It wasn't just resolution but the colour and, particularly skin tones. Then when the 40 came along, and I saw how good high ISO shots were, and tried it out on long exposures, I thought I must have died and gone to Heaven. The final piece for me was the Yuri Arcurs monopod setup.

C

caspita

I appreciate all the feedback, seems like I can't go wrong with the HD40. Jeff you made a very good point, I hadn't even thought of not being able to use the new H lenses...and that 28mm would definitely be on my list.

Tex

Subscriber Member
I appreciate all the feedback, seems like I can't go wrong with the HD40. Jeff you made a very good point, I hadn't even thought of not being able to use the new H lenses...and that 28mm would definitely be on my list.
Yea, you can go wrong unless you enjoy losing lots of money on hourly depreciating hardware.