The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Which Back For Rollie 6008

Mitchell

I have a 6008 non-autofocus with 2 lenses that I love, but never use now that I'm digital.

What backs can I use with this?

Is there a web site that gives a basic understanding of the options?

I am looking for more resolution, and hoping for wider exposure range from bigger pixels. I would use it outside for small scale landscapes and nature closeups, no action shots.

Cost is daunting. Is 2nd hand reasonable, and safe?

This forum is great.

Thanks for any help,

Mitchell

Graham Mitchell

Options:

- the Rollei P20. This is basically a Phase One P20. 36x36mm sensor, so quite cropped and of course square. This is quite old now. People seem to get very nice results from it but being square and 'only' 16 MP and quite cropped isn't for everyone. Probably your cheapest option.

- Sinar eMotion backs (and maybe others I am not familiar with) use adapters and there is a Rollei 6008 adapter available. I use the eMotion 54LV which has a 22MP 36x48mm sensor. The adapter can be detached from the camera and re-attached at 90 degrees. In other words you can rotate the back between landscape and portrait.

- Some of the Hasselblad backs also use adapters and I believe there is a Rollei adapter available too. I don't know much about these backs. Try the Hasselblad website.

- All of the Phase One backs are now available in a Rollei fixed mount. I believe these can not be rotated so the back will be stuck in landscape mode and you will need to rotate the whole camera for portrait mode (which means you will need to use a 90 degree prism and not the WLF).

I would recommend finding a refurbished Sinar back like the eMotion22 because you may want to upgrade camera bodies to the Hy6 some day. This new camera already works with your lenses and the Sinar back (with a different adapter). If you get a fixed mount solution, you will not be able to use the back on the newer Hy6.

If you don't care about the limitations of the P20 and have no interest in growing the system and want a cheap solution, this may be best for you.

BJNY

- Sinar eMotion backs (and maybe others I am not familiar with) use adapters and there is a Rollei 6008 adapter available. I use the eMotion 54LV which has a 22MP 36x48mm sensor. The adapter can be detached from the camera and re-attached at 90 degrees. In other words you can rotate the back between landscape and portrait.
Graham,
I'd love to see some snapshots of how your e54lv mounts on the 6008 in portrait & landscape orientation.
Billy

T

thsinar

I'll take some snapshots for you, Billy, but tomorrow: I have a 6008 as well.

Thierry

Graham,
I'd love to see some snapshots of how your e54lv mounts on the 6008 in portrait & landscape orientation.
Billy

BJNY

Thanks in advance, Thierry.
While you're at it, would you mind posting some snaps of the revised e75lv with new 2.5" TFT?
Please show the 45º prism and revolving plate, too.

Last edited:

BJNY

Thierry says he'll do it.
It doesn't have to be a great effort, just with one's point-n-shoot is fine.

Mitchell

Graham,

Thanks so much. This will get me started. So far I haven't had much success at finding dealers, prices on the internet.

Can I expect greater dynamic range with a Sinar 54 LV, than say a Leica M8, or DMR?

Thanks,

Mitchell

T

thsinar

I hope my Lumix will do it, since you wish to have the e75 on the 6008!

:salute:

Thierry

Thierry says he'll do it.
It doesn't have to be a great effort, just with one's point-n-shoot is fine.

BJNY

Graham,
Billy
Thanks in advance, Thierry.
While you're at it, would you mind posting some snaps of the revised e75lv with new 2.5" TFT?
Please show the 45º prism and revolving plate, too.
Thierry,

Of course I believe you that it will, but please show the eMotion75lv in mid-rotation clearing the 45º prism.
I'm sure your photographic efforts will be appreciated by many.

Billy

T

thsinar

that means another snapshot with the Hy6!

Alright, sold, tomorrow!

But then, somebody has to explain me how to get these "bloody" pics uploaded/attached here: I could not yet figure it out!

:mad:

Thierry

Thierry,

Of course I believe you that it will, but please show the eMotion75lv in mid-rotation clearing the 45º prism.
I'm sure your photographic efforts will be appreciated by many.

Billy

EH21

Thierry,
I'm looking forward to seeing these as well.
Thanks,
Eric

Mitchell - I have a 6008 AF with the Rollei db20p (phase p20) back so can answer any questions you might have about this. There are a few options for the 6008 besides the aforementioned. You can get a number of sinar backs, or older imacon backs or hasselblad CF backs to fit the rollei. Phase is now saying they will fit new backs to Rollei mount as well. I can't answer your question about DR for sinar backs but can tell you DR of the p20 is about 1.5 stops more usable DR than the leica DMR since I also have that camera.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thierry very simple. LOL

Look at the bottom see the NEW REPLY or New Thread . Hit that

You get a dialog box . Type in I am going to give Guy a new Sinar because he is really a cool dude. LOL

Than Look for Manage Attachments . Hit that one and i dialog box comes up . Hit choose file find image 900 pixels wide in either direction SRGB you want than hit the upload. Than you will see your files than hit submit . For further details on the complete way to do this look here http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54

irakly

I tried Rollei P20 that came as a kit with 6008AF on a 6008i, and it did not work. The back wold beep like mad and flash a red light. I don't know, maybe the body needs to be updated somehow...

EH21

Good point Irakly - I forgot the OP only had a 6008. I know that Rollei service can update a 6008AF to work with the digital backs as not all could, but not sure if they can upgrade the 6008 or not but probably worth a check.

Mitchell

This sounds important.

Does anyone know if the Sinars can work with the 6008 non-auto foocus?

Where can I find out if Rollei can upgrade my 6008 for the P 20?

I have only been able to find a German speaking Rollei site. The US Rollei site seems to be defunct.

Best,

Mitchell

T

thsinar

Mitchell,

Yes, definitively, all current Sinarbacks DO have adapters for the Rollei 6008's (AF, non-AF).

Best regards,
Thierry

This sounds important.

Does anyone know if the Sinars can work with the 6008 non-auto foocus?

Best,

Mitchell

Mitchell

Thanks everyone. I'm deep into camera lust.

But, it's going to take quite a while to get a grasp on medium format digital backs.

Is there a dealer and/or web source you can recommend for prices, etc.

Best,

Mitchell