The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

contax 645 adapter to fit mamiya 645?

faneuil

Anyone know where I can find an adapter to put contax 645 lens on mamiya 645 mount?

fotodiox doesn't seem to make them

thanks
Eric

Evanjoe610

Eric,

Only Zoerkendorfer has an adapter that would allow the use of Mamiya 645 optics on the Contax 645.

As far as I know, the Contax 645 optics can't be used on anything beside the Contax 645 and the N system.

faneuil

drat - just jumped at a Contax 645 Zeiss f2 lens which was a bargain.
I assumed an adapter existed..

maybe if I epoxy on a hasselblad adapter...

oy veh
eric

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Usually adapters not being available is a sign that there is no way to accomplish an adapter without losing infinity focus. If you bought the lens for close up portraits you may be able to have an adapter made which can focus out to a few feet.

I have NO idea, just thinking out loud.

Ed Hurst

I suggest calling Zork and speaking to them. I have found them very open - it's possible to speak to someone who really knows what they're talking about - and will discuss making non-standard things for you. Worth a try. And if it's impossible, they'll tell you why. Of course if it is possible, it may cost you more than you saved on your 'bargain' price!

faneuil

yup.. that will teach to BUY with thought "I am sure SOMEONE makes an adapter for that!"
Fortunately seller refunded me promptly..
There are good people out there.

I jumped at a contax 645 zeiss 80mm f2.
Are there Hassy 80mm F2s out there? I don't think I've seen one. Perhaps for the 200 series?

Eric

T

tetsrfun

Are there Hassy 80mm F2s out there? I don't think I've seen one. Perhaps for the 200 series?
No the TCC and FE versions of the 80mm are f/2.8. I think that the only f2 CZ Hasselblad lens is the 110mm F and FE.

Steve

gsking

I was thinking...too bad they don't make a bunch of 35mm adapters for M645. With the cropped digital backs, you could get most (if not all) of the image sensor covered.

I suppose it's because you'd need to submerge the lens, and then the mirror will slap the back of the lens, huh?

Never mind. :) Thought it would be fun to try my M42 lenses on my "FF" digital back.

Evanjoe610

Eric,

The Contax 645 optics are all electronic and has electrical contacts for the camera body to interact with the lenses. The 120mm is the exception, as it is manual. As I stated as far as I know, beside using the Contax N1, the 645 optics can not be used on any other camera system.

Your best bet is to buy a Cntax 645 to see what the buzz is regarding the Zeiss 80mmF2.0.

monza

I agree, the 645 is a sweet system.

But you *can* use the 645 lenses on full frame digital, if you get the NAM adapter and have it converted by Conurus. Then the lenses will work with full aperture and AF on Canon systems (except for the 120 as noted which is manual focus.)

gogopix

Subscriber
But why? For about the same as a 1DsII you can get a contax body and a lower end refurbished Phase of leaf and have 22MP REAL MF, AF system.

Victor

monza

Sure, you could do that, too. :) I was just pointing out that these lenses *can* be used on other camera systems.

gogopix

Subscriber
Understand. Actually forgot that the NAM (for the Contax N) was capable of allowing AF. ARe you suggesting that the NAM, plust Contax to Canon, as fixed by Conurus would retain AF or AF confirm?

If true, then maybe they could make a Contax 645 to S2 adapter!!!

regards
Victor

monza

Yes it can, the lenses will AF and the aperture is electronically controlled as well.

Zeiss on S2 would be sweet.

Evanjoe610

Victor,

Conurus will take your Nam-1 (he doesn't stock them) and re-engineered the electronics so that this adapter will mount onto you Canon EOS DSLR and recognize all of the Contax 645 optics...

I plan to take him up on this offer and will have to decide HARD if I should sacrifice my NAM-1 adapter that I use on my Contax N1.

Evan

gogopix

Subscriber
Well, I noticed NAMs are now $600 to $800 on ebay. Somebirdy told somebody sumpin':ROTFL:

With the Conurus 750 you are over $1500. The buy a good Canon, say 1DsII and you are over $9,000

For about $800 you can buy a contax 645 body and for $5-6,000 any number of reburbished 22MP backs....

I don't see the advantage, unless you already have the Canon. Then of course thye superb Contax glass can be used for under $3,000 (as many lenses are now sub-grand in price.

Not to push, the NAM conversion makes a LOT of sense when you realize the converted NAM will take ALL Contax lenses.

If I could get a Conurus Canon/Contax/NAM for a grand, I would do it in a heartbeat, if only to let family members have access to my lenses (many of which I will be selling as I have about two of each :D

ANybody interested in a particular Contax, let me know.

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
YES! (STill keepin' a few rolls cool in the refrig.!).
I'm just waiting for my wife to ask "When are you going to eat those funny looking tootsie rolls..."

conurus

The original question of whether it was possible to adapt a Contax 645 lens to Mamiya 645 mount.

The Contax 645 mount is entirely electronic but the Mamiya 645 AF mount is half electronic and half mechanical. The aperture diaphragm of Mamiya 645 AF is controlled electronically but there is a mechanical AF shaft to drive AF. Manual focus Mamiya 645 lenses will fit an autofocus Mamiya camera body but needs to use stopped-down metering.

Electronically, if you don't care about AF, there is theoretically some way to interface the aperture control. However mechanical is another story. The Contax 645 mount has a much bigger diameter than Mamiya 645 so it is impossible for the former's bayonet to fit inside the latter's mount throat. It is physically impossible without losing infinity focus.

As it now is, a Contax 645 lens can only be adapted using a converted NAM-1 adapter on a Canon camera body, retaining full AF and aperture diaphragm control.