Site Sponsors

Thread: Phocus 2.5 Will process Canon/Nikon....

Post Thanks / Like

Phocus 2.5 Will process Canon/Nikon....

Hi
    I'm surprised this has not been mentioned, also note that it's a free download.

below is the Press Release:

Hasselblad today announced the release of Phocus 2.5 for Mac, breaking new ground by adding RAW support for more than 150 third party digital cameras, including cameras from Canon, Nikon, Leica, Sony, Fuji, Olympus, and more, as well as support for the most common file formats such as TIFF, JPEG, DNG, and PNG. This added file support results in a single, comprehensive - and free - solution that will enable all Hasselblad photographers to streamline their work process by working with both Hasselblad images and those captured with their 35mm DSLRs in one and the same application. Phocus 2.5 also contains a number of new and exciting features that improve workflow and image quality, in addition to further enhancing Phocus's open environment by enabling the photographer to share keywords from Aperture and Lightroom. Photographers who use Leaf digital backs also benefit from this upgrade, with the inclusion of RAW support for Leaf digital backs.

"This new version of the software is perfectly in line with our overall ambition of providing the most seamless, photographer oriented tools possible," says Peter Stig, Product Director at Hasselblad. "Most high-end shooters work with a range of cameras, some Medium Format, some 35mm, depending on the challenges of the job at hand. Phocus 2.5 allows Mac users to stay in the same familiar and powerful Phocus environment, regardless of what type of camera the files come from. In addition," he continues, " the support for Leaf backs gives photographers the ability to accurately evaluate the benefits of moving towards an integrated Hasselblad product, such as one of our new medium format DSLRs H4D-40, H4D-50 or H4D-60."

The key to Phocus 2.5's file support capabilities is a clever use of Apple's OS X, as Peter Stig explains: "The new Phocus 2.5 architecture has been tailored to use the imaging engine of Apple's OS X operating system and takes full advantage of OS X's support for a wide range of digital cameras, allowing us to support this range of non-Hasselblad files. Support for additional cameras will come with each new version of OS X. Tethered capture is not supported."

"In addition," says Peter Stig, "for 35mm DSLR shooters considering the move up to Medium Format, Phocus 2.5 for Mac provides a great opportunity to get acquainted with the Hasselblad world of Medium Format photography and image processing, including workflow options with browsing, adjusting and processing 35mm RAW image files."

Maintaining the strengths of Phocus 2.0, the new release allows current Phocus users to seamlessly transition to version 2.5, with no learning curve. For those previously unfamiliar with Phocus, switching to the "lite" mode provides a user-friendly and streamlined interface that still provides access to the most important core features such as browsing, and the new full quality printing and slideshow creation options.

"With the launch of Phocus 2.5," Peter Stig concludes, "Hasselblad continues to deliver upon its commitment to provide the world's best camera systems to the world's most demanding photographers."

Phocus 2.5 for Mac is free of charge and available for download from the Hasselblad web site on May 19th 2010.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Phocus 2.5 Will process Canon/Nikon....

Oh really? I will have to try that. I got a level of color purity with my DMR using FlexColor that I never got from any other raw converter. It will be interesting to see how it does on the Sony files.

Thanks for posting that!

Post Thanks / Like

Smart move on Hassy's part. Nice to hear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

hmm...what about the PC version? When, Hassy?

Post Thanks / Like

I wonder if this will be updated to include native raw files from the new Pentax 645D!

Post Thanks / Like

Guys I'd be surprised if they would add support for other MF files.. EDIT I just read the Press release and see they are supporting Leaf files.../EDIT

I'm afraid that third party RAW support will be restricted to the mac versions because they are leveraging OS X's inbuilt support for RAW files (Just as aperture does). FYI about 85% of Phocus users are mac based.

Nick-T

P.S 2.5 works as advertised and it's great to be able to manage Canon and Hasselblad files in the one place.
    Last edited by Nick-T; 11th May 2010 at 13:23.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

An unexpected positive surprise - thanks for the info Nick.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Nick-T View Post
    FYI about 85% of Phocus users are mac based.

Nick-T

P.S 2.5 works as advertised and it's great to be able to manage Canon and Hasselblad files in the one place.
    yes, but PC users also pay the same money for the bodies and lenses. Why shouldn't we get the same treatment?

Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately trying to do the same thing with Microsoft architecture is much much harder.

Access to certain camera 'codecs' is not 100% straightforward.

It is not an exclusion by us on purpose, more a limitation of the OS.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks David. Good response. But please do try and help us minority PC users.

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    Unfortunately trying to do the same thing with Microsoft architecture is much much harder.

Access to certain camera 'codecs' is not 100% straightforward.

It is not an exclusion by us on purpose, more a limitation of the OS.

Post Thanks / Like

David - any idea whether future updates will include the capability to do raw conversion of the native raw files from the forthcoming Pentax 645D (not the DNG's, but the actual raws)? I know it's a competitor MFD solution, but so is Leaf...

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Ed,

If it is part of the Apple OSX supported cameras, then yes, it would be compatible.

David

Post Thanks / Like

Great, will have to try it.

As a Hasselblad shooter I now could stay within one post processing tool. Will see how it performs WRT C1Pro.

I doubt it will be free forever. Maybe only the first few months (or year).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

If the RAW support is coming from OSX, does that mean that the conversions will look like those from Aperture? (not that that is a bad thing, just curious)

David
    David Farkas
    Leica Store Miami

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post
    If the RAW support is coming from OSX, does that mean that the conversions will look like those from Aperture? (not that that is a bad thing, just curious)

David
    Yes David that is correct.

Post Thanks / Like

I hope PHOCUS 2.5 can work with tethered 35mm DSLR like C1pro... for pro users...
    chiek imaging
    http://chiek.co.kr
    Sinar P2, Hasselblad CFV-50c and Sony a7R, canon systems

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

M8,M9 and digilux 2 are on the apple camera list. the digilux 2 has not been covered by C1, so this is good news for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Tell, the truth, I have no interest in using Phocus with other camera formats. There are better tools for that. However, I have a keen interest in mounting a more stable version of Phocus on my PC. Please keep that PC release coming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cunim View Post
    Tell, the truth, I have no interest in using Phocus with other camera formats. There are better tools for that. However, I have a keen interest in mounting a more stable version of Phocus on my PC. Please keep that PC release coming.
    I could not see how this PC release would be coming because Phocus 2.5 bases on the RAW profiles inside OSX. There is nothing like that on a Windows machine. So making it work on a PC would mean that Hasselblad has to really integrate all the supported RAW profiles in Phocus (kind of a middleware), which is really time consuming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    I could not see how this PC release would be coming because Phocus 2.5 bases on the RAW profiles inside OSX. There is nothing like that on a Windows machine. So making it work on a PC would mean that Hasselblad has to really integrate all the supported RAW profiles in Phocus (kind of a middleware), which is really time consuming.
    Actually, I am using a beta of PC2.5. There are some issues but no reason the software can't progress to release, without the multicamera support. I am very pleased to see Hasselblad continuing to improve Phocus, and like to remind them that some of us want stability prioritized.

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dfarkas View Post

David

Is APERTURE V.2 or V.3 a prerequisite to go along with OSX 10.6.3 when you want to use PHOCUS 2.5 with other RAW files than 3FR ? ? ?

Jürgen

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Still not supporting their own scanners? Not good.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jotloob View Post
    Is APERTURE V.2 or V.3 a prerequisite to go along with OSX 10.6.3 when you want to use PHOCUS 2.5 with other RAW files than 3FR ? ? ?

Jürgen
    It should not be a prerequisite, as the RAW converters are part of Mac OS and not Aperture. Also Aperture makes use of these function.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    Still not supporting their own scanners? Not good.
    Yes, it would be good if they would also support their scanners in Phocus, so one would not need to use Flexcolor for this job.

On the other side I am using my X5 less and less - maybe it will disappear once totally from my workflow. Maybe this is why they do not support in Phocus, because there is not enough demand.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think the market for the X5 is less in individual photographers than in institutions and labs. I use mine almost everyday, and scanning makes up a large proportion of my jobs. Most of the other places I know here that have Hasselblad or Imacon scanners are either labs or museums. Anyway, I do not want to drag the thread down this path, but I am very sad that Hasselblad has again decided to expand the abilities of phocus substantially while leaving the scanners out of the mix. FlexColor is very outdated, still buggy after years of development (you can't even turn off the scanner while the program is still open or the whole program will freeze), and there are just so many things that could make scanning easier, many of which are incorporated into Phocus. It just does not make sense to me why they don't just roll the scanners into Phocus and give FlexColor the retirement it deserves...
    Anyway, I have harped on this before, so I am not going to rail on about it any further in this thread.
    My photos are here: http://www.stuartrichardson.com and more recent work here: http://stuartrichardson.tumblr.com/ Please have a look at my book!
    My lab is here: http://www.customphotolab.is and on facebook

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Richardson View Post
    I think the market for the X5 is less in individual photographers than in institutions and labs. I use mine almost everyday, and scanning makes up a large proportion of my jobs. Most of the other places I know here that have Hasselblad or Imacon scanners are either labs or museums. Anyway, I do not want to drag the thread down this path, but I am very sad that Hasselblad has again decided to expand the abilities of phocus substantially while leaving the scanners out of the mix. FlexColor is very outdated, still buggy after years of development (you can't even turn off the scanner while the program is still open or the whole program will freeze), and there are just so many things that could make scanning easier, many of which are incorporated into Phocus. It just does not make sense to me why they don't just roll the scanners into Phocus and give FlexColor the retirement it deserves...
    Anyway, I have harped on this before, so I am not going to rail on about it any further in this thread.
    +1. FlexColor is not really a great piece of software, to but it blandly... The X5 is a great machine, and deserves better. I know it probably doesn't make much sense from a user-base size point of view, but on the other hand one expects more from a manufacturer - especially after spending quite a few Kbucks in a product...
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    It should not be a prerequisite, as the RAW converters are part of Mac OS and not Aperture. Also Aperture makes use of these function.
    OK . Thank you for your answer . Sounds logical .
    I will cancel my APERTURE V.3 order then .

Jürgen

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by chiek View Post
    I hope PHOCUS 2.5 can work with tethered 35mm DSLR like C1pro... for pro users...
    Quote Originally Posted by arashm View Post
    below is the Press Release:
    [...]
    "Tethered capture is not supported."
    Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I would also prefer to get my X5 supported by Phocus, just to be able to use then 1 post processing SW for everything. You are right that for the amount the X5 costs it needs to get better support!

Post Thanks / Like

Link has been removed. Most of the video was about keyword transfer from other apps. Also new feature to place RGB values on the image at any location. Next was printing full image and then other third party input support. Regards Martin

Post Thanks / Like

Just a heads up that 2.5 is available for download.
    am

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exclamation Re: Phocus 2.5 Will process Canon/Nikon....

A word of caution for Leaf shooters; Files from Leaf Aptus-II 5, 8 and 10 are not supported as the software produces either Magenta or Black previews (when it doesn't crash or freeze, that is...).

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Downloaded Phocus 2.5 and had a little time to play with it this afternoon.

The following are Leica M8.2 files processed from DNG in Phocus then imported to ACR...Phocus seems to lack noise reduction and certain elements like recovery for highlights.

I assume that the Apple OSX connection limits functionality for the raw conversion....?

All of these were with Nokton 50 no UVIR ( re-acquiring off sizes ) so the colors are a little off...ISO 320 or 640

One

Two

Three

Four

Finally

So it works as advertised but may be somewhat limiting at the present time...

Bob

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by docmoore View Post
    Phocus seems to lack noise reduction and certain elements like recovery for highlights.

I assume that the Apple OSX connection limits functionality for the raw conversion....?

So it works as advertised but may be somewhat limiting at the present time...
    From the Release Notes concerning 3rd Party File Support:
    Some tools are disabled mostly due to the fact that we don't have full access to the raw Bayer data. These include highlight recovery, shadow fill, clarity, lens corrections, noise reduction and scene calibration.

Subscriber and Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    From the Release Notes concerning 3rd Party File Support:
    Some tools are disabled mostly due to the fact that we don't have full access to the raw Bayer data. These include highlight recovery, shadow fill, clarity, lens corrections, noise reduction and scene calibration.
    All the important stuff!

Bob