Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: What's a used MFDB really worth?

Post Thanks / Like

What's a used MFDB really worth?

Having seen Calumet sell a (good condition) used P45 for (US) $5.3k inc. tax, and a private seller sell a (good condition) P65+ for approx. $14.5k inc. tax (both on eBay), I can't help wondering about the price difference between a used MFDB from a dealer and the value determined by the market. Take the P45 - the best price I can find from a dealer for a straight sale (of a used example) is (US) $11k + taxes. I know they have their overheads to cost for, just like any other business, ... but still, that's over a $6k difference from the one Calumet just sold. Kaching! Should I give up selling used cars and move into the used MFDB business? Answers on a postcard please to the usual address.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What's a used MFDB really worth?

On February 12th a dealer sold a P45+ on eBay for $12.5k, and, on March 7th, another dealer sold a P45+ on eBay with VAW still remaining for $13.5k. Current over the counter dealer price? About $18k + taxes (perhaps with some warranty remaining).

On May 6th 2010 Calumet sold a used P30+ in Hasselblad H fitting on eBay for $4,550.00. Current over the counter dealer price? Around $8.5k + taxes (perhaps with some warranty remaining).

All prices U.S.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I would say that $13.5K for used P45+ from a private party is about right for that back with no warranty. Non plus P45's are usually about $4K less. Most dealers check items out and offer some form of warranty or return period, and need to make a profit, so priced typically will be higher -- but for that you get added piece of mind and much better support when you need it ;-)

You do sometimes see some good deals out of Calumet used, but I suspect that P30+ auction they lost money on. Bottom line is the economy is so bad right now, the only hard closes on eBay are relative deals for whatever the item was. So sure, pay your money and take your chance -- not too much risk buying from Calumet or other known reseller, but definitely risky to buy form an unknown private party.

As for a P65+ selling for $14.5K, no effing way. It was most likely a scam that never finalized even though the 'auction' ended at that price.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, I'd say the P65+ looked pretty legit. Total was 14k including camera and lens, which were both worth somewhere in the region of 4k, leaving the DB at 10k = $14.5k US. Seller had a history of dealing in high value camera gear, it could be examined prior to the auction ending and picked up in person, payment could be made through PayPal, the serial number was available to check out, and it wasn't being sold from some obscure PO Box in a far flung corner of the world. Same old story of something only being worth what someone else is prepared to pay for it.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to bare in mind is this. If you're in the market for a P65+, you're probably not going to be looking on eBay for it. So, when one does come up it's the rest of us mere mortals who start salivating. Given our buying power is less (otherwise we'd go drop 40 large on a new one) it's resultant market value is going to be appreciably less, given that we determine the price in an auction. Also, remember this was in the UK, where the economy is heading south at a rate of knots. (If you thought the credit crunch was bad, just wait 'til the sovereign debt crisis hits home). So, no, I don't expect to find a used one sitting on a dealer's shelf for $15k - but I still maintain that the dealer pricing of MFDBs is artificially high, and that in the long term this is bad news for everyone hoping to see a thriving MFDB sector out there in the (economically tough) years ahead.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by f8orbust View Post
    " ... and a private seller sell a (good condition) P65+ for approx. $14.5k inc. tax (on eBay) ...
    Sorry, don't believe it. Show me.

(BTW, was the seller's address a mental institution?)

The value in this level of gear isn't as an investment, it is the using of them.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Sorry, don't believe it. Show me.

(BTW, was the seller's address a mental institution?)

The value in this level of gear isn't as an investment, it is the using of them.

-Marc
    Heres that P65. It seemed legit. I was in contact with the seller during the auction. I chickened out with seconds before it sold for a hundred pounds more than my final bid. It just seemed too good to be true, but someone may have got the deal of the century. neither the buyer or seller have gotten or given any rating to each other on the sale yet so its hard to say....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=230468696849

Regarding the value of a P45, Calumet in the UK offered me one last week with a three month warranty for 3,600.

A lot of the low prices in the uk seem to be for phase backs in H mount. They are obviously seen as a dead end investment.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I "won" a similar back also in case with 28mm, also from a German and also collect. But as i got to ask questions about serial numbers, different pick-up location etc, the seller told me a silly story about the back beeing stolen out of his car etc. Obvious a man with bad intentions. Never thought they would pull a scam when mentioning "pick-up" only.
    The seller in this case has his P65 in bradford UK but lives in Germany and all feedback is German??????? Ring a bell???? I bet he speaks german with a eastern european accent to like my seller.
    Hope the buyer read this and proceeds very carefully. Maybe its a great deal but at that price at this time of the year? I wish him luck.
    Last edited by H3dtogo; 15th May 2010 at 13:52.

Post Thanks / Like

The guy in Germany was 'listing it on behalf of a colleague based in the UK'...so we'll wait and see on that one. Whether it's legit or not is beside the point though - people who bid did so on the assumption that it was ok, and thus its valuation of around $14.5k still stands. Sure, I'd be interested to see what a similar one would go for if sold by Calumet...but I'm betting that (in the UK at least) it wouldn't be a whole lot more.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I'd just like to throw in here that if WE as a dealer could buy a P65+ for $14.5k we'd do it in a heart beat.

That was clearly not a legit sale.

Here's something I NEVER want to see on a eBay page: "This is a private sale, for this reason no refunds and no exchange." let alone one for a $15k back. The seller has seven recorded sales including 5 cheap bicycles and one $3k Nikon lens. There is a discrepancy in locations (as H3Dtogo said).

eBay is like anywhere else you do business. You can occasionally find great deals through your own ingenuity (like when a seller lists an item but mispells the name or does not categorize it well) or pure luck, but if it seems too good to be true it is. The Phase One P65+ is the only available 60 megapixel back in the world. It doesn't go cheap. And with a DF body and 28mm lens??

Here are a few of the reasons our customers tell us they buy from us rather than taking their business to the world of eBay.

Support - We work hard to establish a relationship with our customers. When you have a problem we will be there to help. 95% of our tech support calls are for something other than a digital back repair (more info)
    Accessories - Every Demo/Refurb/Used we sell back comes with NEW accessories. Since batteries become exhausted, cables can become lose etc.
    Software - Capture One Pro ($400) is licensed to each user by their email address and is not transferable. When we sell a back with a Value Added Warranty we include a fresh license.
    CCD Filter - Private Sellers may or may not share your opinion on what a “scratch free” filter means. We thoroughly inspect every back’s CCD.
    Sensor Errors - Similar to LCD TV’s a sensor can have stuck lines/pixels. More than once we have seen private sellers with such an error that was not disclosed.
    Confidence - Every Sale we make is backed by a promise: if you’re not happy we will make things right. Instead of eBay ratings we have an international reputation held by thousands of satisfied customers.
    Warranty - We clearly state the warranty of each Demo/Refurb/Used back we sell. Moreover, as Phase One dealers we can extend your warranty 1-year at a time (rates vary by model).
    Platform Swap - We clearly state whether each back is entitled to a free swap of platforms.
    Upgrades - We have a standing promise to our customers to held them when they want to upgrade regardless of what manufacturer programs are or are not available. Selling your back in the future on the open market is stressful and opens you to fraud and to getting a sub-par price.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Nope, I'd say the P65+ looked pretty legit.
    Wow, from a seller with a total of 7 feedbacks listing it for a friend --- you've got to be kidding if you think that's anything close to legit. Screaming scam to me.
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Wow, from a seller with a total of 7 feedbacks listing it for a friend --- you've got to be kidding if you think that's anything close to legit. Screaming scam to me.
    Setting that p65 aside,scam or not, the fact that Calumet are prepared to sell the P45 for 3,600 says a lot about the market.
    Last edited by Aaron; 15th May 2010 at 15:40.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I don't think Calumet was "prepared" for that. I think they assumed it would sell for closer to normal prices and got burned by using a no-reserve auction. Show me another one that sold for that through a legitimate dealer, then I'll agree that DOES describe what the market really is right now...
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Setting that p65 aside,scam or not, the fact that Calumet are prepared to sell the P45 for 3,600 says a lot about the market.

It says much more about Calumet than it does about the market. Because you can on occasion find a digital back for thousands less than a typical price from a dealer does not mean the market has moved to that price. It means a situation occurred - either intentionally or accidentally - where a unit was sold for a radical price. The circumstances of why are never clear. But think about it. There are quite a few P65+ owners on this forum. I wonder how many would be willing to sell their P65+ for $10K - $14K (with a camera lens). Probably not too many hands going up.

Generally, when you see a price dramatically lower than what you're accustomed to, the reason is desperate, needed cash flow or sudden change in circumstances. In the case of a dealer, it could be a situation where they purchased from a desperate seller at an even lower price, then turned it around for a quick, modest buck. Or, it has been a unit that has been in rental and has already paid for itself. Even so, a dealer generally would still adhere to a sale price that yielded a standard profit margin. But remember, cash flow is king, and sometimes, that rule may bend pricing from a dealer that sees a need to generate cash quickly.

I sold a used P45 unit earlier this year (with full support from Capture Integration) for $11,900. While the price may not have started there, it was an agreeable closure for both the customer buying from us and Capture Integration. We are very cognizant of cash flow as any successful business should be. But we have never found ourselves in a situation where we needed to sell a P45 (for example) for $5K - $6K. If customers refused to buy them at the price we sell them, then that would indicate the market pricing is too high. This is not the case, at least in our experience.

A customer of mine recently picked up a P45 used on eBay for $5,800. This unit was being sold by a leasing company. The leasing company had very little experience in this type of product. They listed it as a Buy It Now for $8,500, a very reasonable price. No offers. So, my customer contacted them and made them an offer. Sometimes with auctions, timing is an issue also, and a desired price is not achieved - just because fewer buyers happened to be in the market for that 5 day period. So then, they go lower to move it, thinking the price is too high.

We routinely sell P45+ units for $16K - $18K, depending on the condition. We rarely encounter objections to the price, as the clients who come to us typically do so for many of the reasons Doug mentions above - they want a partner and an advocate who has their back (pun intended) now and in the future. P45+ used models can commonly be found from end users/eBay for a bit less, and on occasion, as we're discussing here, at a crazy price that comes from circumstances that are not known (but are typically cash-flow linked).

So - bottom line, lots of reasons can be found for these low prices, but usually none of them are an indication of market pricing, but rather a reaction to a cash flow situation or something similar.

It does happen, and we're aware of it - in fact, as Doug said, we will also snap up a digital back that is legit and in good condition at a radical price, but we do very stern due diligence, both in terms of the seller and the product. We request serial numbers, investigate them for the history of the product, and cover ourselves with regard to the seller, who must be legitimate. And we're looking for reasons to not do the deal, because our spidey-sense is tingling. So, just be careful if you're tempted.

Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Calumet was "prepared" for that. I think they assumed it would sell for closer to normal prices and got burned by using a no-reserve auction. Show me another one that sold for that through a legitimate dealer, then I'll agree that DOES describe what the market really is right now...
    Nope.
    The P45 back I was offered by Calumet was not via ebay, it was over the store counter , pay your 3,600 and off you go, (3 month warranty).

And the one that they sold on ebay didnt burn them either. They had that one on ebay for 4,000 opening bid, they got zero bids on it! It was relisted the following week for 3,500.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like

I've been watching the bottom end of the 22 mpix market.

Mamiya ZD cameras are regularly going for 3K

A ZD back + AFD II was recently on this site for 4.5K

A P25 just sold on Adorama for about 4K

Aptus 22's seem to go for around 4-5K depending .....

For the 25+, from a dealer, you get to 8-9K ( web site price )

The old Koadak 16mpex go for around 2-2.5K

The even older H 25 phase one seem to go 2.5-3.5K depending on source.

Dave

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, in a few more months you may be able to get one for free ... or someone will pay you to take it off their hands.

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey, in a few more months you may be able to get one for free ... or someone will pay you to take it off their hands.
    Well, they'll have to cover the shipping also, otherwise count me out!

Post Thanks / Like

Supply and demand is always a factor. I've seen the market value of the old Kodak Probacks move up and down over the years from 2K to over 5K.

I'd still be a bit antsy about spending several thousand on a MFDB, and not really knowing "what's inside the box." I really don't like buying used, but at least buying from Capture Integration means some peace of mind, and being able to bug Doug Peterson if I need help/support. Or bugging him even if I don't need help....

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Ken: you always bug me :-).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Ken: you always bug me :-).
    Thanks, Doug!

I hope you don't mind---I put your profile picture up on that Match.com site...

I'll have to bug you guys over at Capture Integration on the new Schneider LS lenses..... *ouch* Looking for the 110mm. Jack probably won't be sharing much once he acquires the Schneider 55-80-110 "holy trinity."

ken

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    Jack probably won't be sharing much once he acquires the Schneider 55-80-110 "holy trinity."
    It's called rental, and my fees have been occasionally referred to as "usurious," whatever that means...

Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Supply and demand is always a factor. I've seen the market value of the old Kodak Probacks move up and down over the years from 2K to over 5K.

I'd still be a bit antsy about spending several thousand on a MFDB, and not really knowing "what's inside the box." I really don't like buying used, but at least buying from Capture Integration means some peace of mind, and being able to bug Doug Peterson if I need help/support. Or bugging him even if I don't need help....
    One of the things that can affect pricing on the Kodak Pro backs is whether there is a bunch of good batteries with it. The batteries are proprietary and were very hard to find even 2 years ago.

Which is yet another reason to go with a dealer with a good reputation on this stuff ... full information when buying.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

One of the things that can affect pricing on the Kodak Pro backs is whether there is a bunch of good batteries with it. The batteries are proprietary and were very hard to find even 2 years ago.

Which is yet another reason to go with a dealer with a good reputation on this stuff ... full information when buying.

-Marc
    One trick that can work with the Kodak Probacks if you don't have the Kodak Li-ion batteries----there is a powercord that is available from Quantum, so you can power the Proback with a Quantum Turbo battery, or the newer Turbo SC.

Post Thanks / Like

It's called rental, and my fees have been occasionally referred to as "usurious," whatever that means...

I do have my 150mm D series though...

How about if I loan you Mariah?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron View Post
    Nope.
    The P45 back I was offered by Calumet was not via ebay, it was over the store counter , pay your 3,600 and off you go, (3 month warranty).
    Hmm...not much in the way of comment on that one. Maybe it's because it doesn't fit into the 'cheapdealsareonlydoneonebayandyou'llprobablygetri ppedoff' scheme of things - surely not?

There goes a Leaf Aptus 75S, Mamiya 645 AFD, 120mm macro Mamiya lens, 80mm Mamiya lens, 45mm Mamiya lens, Polaroid back and Pelican case for $7k.

And there goes a Phase One P30+ for Hasselblad H from Calumet for $4.5k.

Post Thanks / Like

Hmm...not much in the way of comment on that one. Maybe it's because it doesn't fit into the 'cheapdealsareonlydoneonebayandyou'llprobablygetri ppedoff' scheme of things - surely not?

There goes a Leaf Aptus 75S, Mamiya 645 AFD, 120mm macro Mamiya lens, 80mm Mamiya lens, 45mm Mamiya lens, Polaroid back and Pelican case for $7k.

And there goes a Phase One P30+ for Hasselblad H from Calumet for $4.5k.
    Looks like some skimping on the camera platform from your cites above. Big difference, as in HUGE between a 645AFD and the 645DF. (try three generations difference). Same goes for the H platform. But regardless, market values do fluctuate for whatever reason----and deals are always out there to be had. If you're familiar with the MFDB, it's condition/history, and what you want, it's a great time to get into medium format digital.

The problem here at GetDPI is that everyone in this forum has already just bought new MFDBs. Apparently there is no market for those backs you're talking about here, because those deals you see are our old backs we just unloaded....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Excuse me, but The OP asked about prices.

The question was answered by various people. I don't get the need to argue with people who you think are wrong. If backs are really cheap, then buy one. If they're too much, then wait, or buy something else. If the people here don't know what they're talking about, ask someone else.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The problem here at GetDPI is that everyone in this forum has already just bought new MFDBs. Apparently there is no market for those backs you're talking about here, because those deals you see are our old backs we just unloaded....
    Good one Ken --- we created an almost instant LACK of demand and the resultant price plunge!

Also, I think Stephen's point is right on too
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Well it appears that the german chap, who is mentioned earlier in this thread for selling the P65 on ebay, has more friends who require his services to sell mfdbs real cheaply!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Phase-One-P40-...item35a97909bd

P40+ this time in H101 mount (didnt even know phase still do H101 for current backs?)

Sometimes you really do get what you pay for

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hmmm... Local pick up only, so it HAS to be legit!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm... Local pick up only, so it HAS to be legit!
    I'd recommend having a big mean dog on a chain when your knocking on that door with your piggy bank

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Exactly. And even though he says "Bring cash!" suggest you want to inspect it first
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

So what have I learnt from my original posting ... other than to avoid ebay user 'welovepictures' offering anything for sale?

Well, if you're not buying new, and are looking to move into MF and buy a fairly recent back (i.e. something not running on steam attached to a PC running Windows ME) then your best way to get a fantastic $ deal is still probably eBay, from a reputable seller or a private deal on one of the more reputable forums (getdpi/LL etc.) You can probably save anywhere up to 50% on the same equipment offered by a dealer. From looking around the best deals are usually on Leaf and Hasselblad backs.

However, there are occasionally equally great deals to be had from reputable dealers - but the price can vary wildly. e.g. as mentioned above Calumet can sell a used P45 for under $5.5k (inc. tax), while other dealers want $11.5k (plus tax?). That's a BIG difference. Calumet will also sell you a P30+ for $4.5k which is a darn good deal as well. A less popular fitting (Hasselblad V etc.) is probably your path to get the best price, which may not suit all.

Post Thanks / Like

No affiliation with Digital Transitions whatsoever, but they're having a clearout and thought the info. may be of use to anyone looking to buy a MFDB through a dealer:

Post Thanks / Like

Anybody looking for a P65+ ? Calumet have one up on eBay at the minute with a 645, 80mm lens and VA warranty for $28k. Only US bidders unfortunately. Here's the link.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great deal!
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Great deal if you can jump fast enough.

Read the fine print: "This item is being advertised through other channels in addition to eBay. Please contact us to confirm availability before purchasing this item.

This Phase One 645 Digital Camera System w/ P65+ Back is a gently handled store demo unit in excellent condition. It includes the manufacturer's warranty. There are a few faint scuffs on the body and handle, but the lens and sensor are like new."
    [emphasis added]

In other words, only one demo model available. If it wasn't Calumet, I'd call it bait-and-switch. Great deal for a demo----they state their regular retail price is $45K+ for this system, which I think is high.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think it is over with MFDB. Trying to sell my great H3dII-39Mp MS version, multishot it is, for about 13000 euro. But no one even asks for it. This still is one of the best studio and reproduction camera's ever made, less than 5000 shots taken... but no interest, not even someone who offers 1500 euro :-((

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by H3dtogo View Post
    I think it is over with MFDB. Trying to sell my great H3dII-39Mp MS version, multishot it is, for about 13000 euro. But no one even asks for it. This still is one of the best studio and reproduction camera's ever made, less than 5000 shots taken... but no interest, not even someone who offers 1500 euro :-((
    You have to get it in front of the right people at the right time. That is a pretty special camera ... valuable to studio shooters especially. Most people here are landscape and people photographers.

I would have gone for your camera two months ago when I bought a CF/39 Multi-Shot on a H2F camera for my studio based work. I use a H4D/40 for mobile and people type work.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

But still.... also cheap stuff such as a pro back, wich is a great back for daily use at 100 to 200 ISO does not sell. I had to shoot (not voluntarely) a lot of my pro work using 384 and a pro back last year and was impressed by its image quality. I even bought an extra proback for my mamiya, besides of the two i already had for Hasselblad-H. I also have a Cambo wide RS for sale, same thing, not even a sign of interest in that camera... and it goes on and on like that.

Post Thanks / Like

....not even a sign of interest in that camera... and it goes on and on like that.
    (The interest is there) Even certified gear sluts on this board run out of money....

Post Thanks / Like

The interest is there...
    Indeed it is ... I'm looking for a used P45+ just now, but the only private offers I've had are substantially higher than Phase One dealers want for the equivalent gear
    Last edited by greygrad; 22nd June 2010 at 11:53.

Post Thanks / Like

I'll take it for 1500 euro!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hi Vieri, I have a prism finder, new in box that fits any H1/H2 camera, you can have two for 1500 euro. It is not a H3d but a great way to start collecting bits and pieces for a great set.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Vieri, I have a prism finder, new in box that fits any H1/H2 camera, you can have two for 1500 euro. It is not a H3d but a great way to start collecting bits and pieces for a great set.
    Thank you very much, that's very generous and thoughtful indeed but... I liked the other one better!
    Vieri Bottazzini
    Leica Ambassador | Formatt-Hitech Ambassador | ABIPP EP
    VIERI BOTTAZZINI PHOTOGRAPHER | VIERI BOTTAZZINI WORKSHOPS | VIERI BOTTAZZINI FINE ART

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

AAn 18 month old P65+ was sold yesterday on ebay for less than 9.5K

Mind you the seller has managed to sell the same P40+ TWICE in the past, so I would not count on this deal being legit or anything (seller also ignored emails querying about the serial number...)
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That is the same person as mentioned above. Sells in UK and Germany, located in Germany but sometimes in the UK.............

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

(The interest is there) Even certified gear sluts on this board run out of money....

LOL! BINGO!

Most pro photographers I know are making due with what they have. You get really pragmatic about incremental improvements that cost 5 figure$ more than your current gear .... existing gear with performance that most people haven't even maxed out yet.

Oddly, it wasn't MFD that broke my piggy bank ... it was a total revamp of my Leica M kit with a brace of M9s and all the super optics that cost more than most any MFD lens .. except maybe Leica MF S2 glass

GAS has been replaced by GSA ... Gear Sluts Anonymous.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Camera gear pricing is weird and buying used from countries whose currency versus US fluctuates wildly can be an interesting hobby. I am sure I have raised a few eyebrows with the amount of gear I have purchased from forum members on GETDPI - I think I am net up around 20% on the balance of transactions over a couple of years lets say enough to pay for umm a anything selling from Hasselblad or Phase today at retail ..buying and selling camera gear is just another trade - you either know whats up or you dont..

One thing for sure - no one who has forked out a lot of cashola for gear - ever ever ever criticises it much - well not whilst owning it ...

thats why dispassionate traders who actually dont give a rats ...arent popular when they speak the plain trut about the gear BS - vested interests an all that -

what is any piece of second hand gear worth?

It all depends - but I cant see much practical difference between the so called top megapixel versions of today with the top megapixel versions of a year or two ago..

then again I don't print larger than 2x4' or 3x4'...and I dont wanna play ( yet) in 60 megapixel land - lets wait for teh 100 megapixel new fagled must have crapola to come out..

then I'll think about a 1000 shot used crapola 60 megapixel back for 20 cents in the dollar..

get my drift?