The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

studies for a new series

faneuil

Studies for a new portrait series. All with a P1 DF, P45 back and 80mm 1.9 lens. Bit of PS lens blur filter to add to the 1.9 wide open look.
Comments appreciated.

Eric

gogopix

Subscriber
interesting concept; but you will likely need to do a LOT to see what works and doesn't. I really applaud photographers that experiment. Good show.

BUT, the use of blurring in post does not look natural. May just need to open up :)

regards
Victor

faneuil

I've been trying many lenses and can't quite get the very shallow DOF effect I am looking for without going to PS. The 80mm 1.9 is very shallow but focus doesn't drop off as fast as I would like at that subject distance. A used 210 f4 is about to arrive but think I may run out of studio space for where I would need to stand!

Any recommendations?
The shot closest to what I am trying to achieve is the photo of my wife.

thanks for looking,
Eric

S

Shelby Lewis

Eric... can you explain what your intent is on this project? It actually looks like your going for a look that would best be achieved by using a T/S setup... and that has been done a LOT. I like that look, but just saying that it's nothing new.

However, I'd be interested in hearing from you about your subjects, their poses, and expressions. Are they part of the conception for this series? Or is this a technical exploration of shallow DoF?

I agree about the PS blur looking un-natural... it's so sterile. It ruins the character given by the 80/1.9, IMO.

More info?

Thanks for posting these... I always get jazzed about people embarking on new work for themselves... and then seeing where it takes them!

faneuil

thanks for the comments-

I looking for a calmness, not necessarily peaceful/serenity thing, but more of a cool calm.

images that are in my mind as I move forward with this project:
-Emotionally distant grand portraits that hang over manor fireplaces in the early 20th C.
-Sitter not directly engaged with the camera, somewhat aloof to it all, but striking / beautiful all the same
-John Singer Sargent cross-pollinated withHopper
-study of cool greens and blues against skin.

The shallow DOF isn't the goal, but I was using it to isolate my subject more -- and I want the background creamy and painterly. Soft wrinkles ok, but I want it to be distant. (I've run out of space to get it farther back!)

What I am not looking for:
Happy shiny pictures.
Or boring study on Rembrandt lighting (which am treading dangerously close towards)
To change the character of the images, I am using a ringflash OFF camera to camera right as a fill at about 2 stops below main. Main is a Molo demi dish which I am learning to love and find amazingly flexible. Softbox here just doesn't cut it.

thoughts?

cheers,
Eric

gogopix

Subscriber
I've been trying many lenses and can't quite get the very shallow DOF effect I am looking for without going to PS. The 80mm 1.9 is very shallow but focus doesn't drop off as fast as I would like at that subject distance. A used 210 f4 is about to arrive but think I may run out of studio space for where I would need to stand!

Any recommendations?
The shot closest to what I am trying to achieve is the photo of my wife.

thanks for looking,
Eric
Shoot thru a door or window; the FOV is narrow enough.

Or just use an extender. DOF will be pretty narrow

faneuil

thought of that, so I switched to smaller lens with smallest extender and moved closer to my subject to preserve FOV.

But even mamiya's smallest extender is too much extension on my smaller lenses (50mm and 45mm) to get framing I want.
IE, the maximum focus with extender drops maxium focus distance too much.

I had a 150 D f2.8 and f3.5 but (horrors!) sold both..
I already regret selling the 150 D f2.8 and told the buyer to keep me on his short list when his is ready to sell..

Eric