The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D-50 first impressions

Quentin_Bargate

Hi all

The H4D-50 has arrived along with the 120mm macro and 50mm F/3.5 lenses. I have not had that much time to experiment with it, and the only image from it I can show you at the moment is a shot for stock fairly heavily compressed and reduced hugely in size now used as a spash image at my companion RF stock site here that I quite liked.

The camera is easy enough to use, although it is big. Resolution is silly, but in a good way. Enough real estate to crop a lot and still have a useable file but this does mean that camera shake is more noticeable because there is so much data. I am using a bracket with the camera which is geared spoecifically to allow me to switch between portait and landscape modes without moving a ball head etc. It is a good device, well designed.

True Focus seems to work!

Shooting tethered is easy, but Phocus is not as intuitive as I would like. I still don't understand its colour management when exporting a processed file. Maybe someone can help me out here on how to embed a profile, say Adobe 1998, when saving out as a Tiff file, or if not what profile to apply when opening a processed file in Photoshop. I thought I udnerstood colour management but I seem puzzled by Phocus.

Great files though, no artifacts whatsoever even at 200%..

More later.

Quentin

Jeffg53

At the Export window, edit an existing preset or create a new one which will let you specify the profile to use. I have a ProPhoto 16 bit PSD which is my normal output. It works a treat.

Phocus is worth the learning curve.

Quentin_Bargate

At the Export window, edit an existing preset or create a new one which will let you specify the profile to use. I have a ProPhoto 16 bit PSD which is my normal output. It works a treat.

Phocus is worth the learning curve.
Hi Jeff

Thanks. I knew it had to be somewhere!

I usually save out 16 bit tiffs. ProPhoto is a huge space; I'll probably use Adobe 1998.

Cheers

Quentin

docmoore

Subscriber and Workshop Member
Hi Jeff

Thanks. I knew it had to be somewhere!

I usually save out 16 bit tiffs. ProPhoto is a huge space; I'll probably use Adobe 1998.

Cheers

Quentin
Why not save to ProPhoto and convert to AdobeRGB for printing...never know when output devices will use the overhead.

Bob

KeithL

Agree always store highest color space than convert to other needs.
I dislike these un-wieldy and unnecessarily wide color spaces. Having said that, I can't see the point in paying a small fortune for an H4D-50 and then chucking information away.

It's my understanding that the source profile for Hasselblad cameras is Hasselblad RGB and that this is a wider color space than Adobe RGB. I always export/archive as 16bit tiff with this source Hasselblad RGB profile to retain and preserve all of the capture info and then convert to Adobe RGB or sRGB as necessary, depending on output.

Last edited:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I think the same with phase. Shooting capture is higher than adobe1998. Why I stay with outputting to Prophoto 16 bit Tiffs and actually print on my 7900 from it. I do soft proof with paper profile and make adjustments for print . Usually to clip slightly in the black point. I use a wide gamut monitor as well , NEC actually. I'm dead on the money like this printing to monitor

Quentin_Bargate

I think we can get a bit obsessed by colour spaces. I have tried ProPhoto in the past but ended up retreating to something more manageable. But then again, if I change my mind, I can always re-process to a different colour space at a later date - that the big advantage of raw files, of course :thumbup:

Quentin

Nick-T

The problem with ProPhoto RGB is you just cannot see the colours that you are editing on your monitor and you MUST work in 16BIT. Granted sometime in the future there might be an output device that is capable of outputting that huge (much bigger than Hasselblad RGB) space. When that printer arrives I'll just convert my lowly ARGB files to lab and saturate them :)