The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD road test. Wow

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Guy, any shots without the IR filter in place?

:)

I am dying to see how a file looks without the IR filter.
No Andy i have yet to try it out yet . Jack did and the one issue he ran into was keeping any dust out off the sensor. BTW welcome did not get a chance to formally welcome you after i signed you in last night. Love to do the Africa gig with you sometime myself. Sounds like a blast but anyway this is a great option to this back because you can remove the IR filter. I think the only one that you can actually remove. This is something Jim Collum who doe s a bunch of IR work wants us to test also. Jim uses the Mamiya body and a Aptus 75 back and actually one of our moderators here and also teaches at our workshops.

No Andy i have yet to try it out yet . Jack did and the one issue he ran into was keeping any dust out off the sensor. BTW welcome did not get a chance to formally welcome you after i signed you in last night. Love to do the Africa gig with you sometime myself. Sounds like a blast but anyway this is a great option to this back because you can remove the IR filter. I think the only one that you can actually remove. This is something Jim Collum who doe s a bunch of IR work wants us to test also. Jim uses the Mamiya body and a Aptus 75 back and actually one of our moderators here and also teaches at our workshops.
Thanks, Guy. Glad to be here. Hey, I would love for you to come to Africa sometime. I am spending more and more time in Namibia these days, all in an effort to gather more content for a book. Probably the most beautiful landscapes I have ever seen.

It sounds like the ZD is quite popular as of late. I have my eyes on one at a local dealer, and I can get a *steal* of a deal on one right now. I mean steal. I just need to make sure that it fits my overall goal for what I am doing.

Jim had me over to his house way back in 2001 or 2002 when we used to live in the bay area. So glad to 'see' you again, Jim!

Ok, so I cannot wait to see what a ZD raw file looks like when the IR filter is removed. I am willing to beg for one right now, unfortunately.

Guy Mancuso

Andy seriously go grab that ZD. Worst case someone here will most likely want to get one for a good price if it don't work out but the files do jump. I got a great deal at 8600.00 body , lens and back and i here there are even better deals . There is a new body coming with improvements but the back alone at this price is worth it.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Guy, any shots without the IR filter in place?

:)

I am dying to see how a file looks without the IR filter.
Truth be told, I have some test shots I am too embarrassed to show -- they were taken specifically to see how the ZD sans cut filter responded to IR and have less than zero artisitic appeal. Suffice it to say, I am not in a hurry to do more IR with the ZD until I have an appropriate subject for it: It took me 45 minutes, three attempts and 9 swabs to clean off the naked sensor front, filter rear and filter front, just to get it back to the point where I had no dust bunnies... And no, the canned air would NOT blow them off, they needed the Eclipse and swabs. Like hanging freaking flypaper when you have to keep two surfaces clean before you assemble them to clean the third... FTR I *HATE* dirty sensors.

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Jack, My apologies if my query cost you much distress. :eek:
You weren't the only one, so no worries. I was curious too. But truth be told, it was really all Jim's fault.

Be advised that if you do remove that filter and drop it, it is $1600 to replace :eek:. Also be advised that it is kind of fidgety to get out if you have big fingers like I do. Be further advised that when it sails off the back and you react quickly and are lucky enough to catch it, you'll have tons of fingerprints covering both sides of it to clean off :wtf:. Then when you cuss yourself for being so careless :cussing:, you'll have a few drops of spit-spray on your now naked sensor glass that needs to be cleaned off too...

:banghead:,

V

Vivek

No worries on such trivial matters (no pun).

I make my own conversions on more complicated set-ups to have dedicated IR and UV cams for my use.;)

The innards of a Nikon D80. I cut the filter (Hoya R72) as well

Terry

Be advised that if you do remove that filter and drop it, it is $1600 to replace :eek:. Also be advised that it is kind of fidgety to get out if you have big fingers like I do. Be further advised that when it sails off the back and you react quickly and are lucky enough to catch it, you'll have tons of fingerprints covering both sides of it to clean off :wtf:. Then when you cuss yourself for being so careless :cussing:, you'll have a few drops of spit-spray on your now naked sensor glass that needs to be cleaned off too...

:banghead:,

I assume this was all a big hypothetical .... :angel::ROTFL::ROTFL:

dfarkas

Workshop Member
Very nice hand me down my dear. i have to say i am pretty impressed and that is not easy to do. These files are loaded with detail that I have not seen in a long time like this. Actually credit goes to Jack for twisting my arm.
Hey Guy...

You must have a short memory my friend. ;)

I gave you your first taste of the ZD last year at David K's surpirse birthday.

BTW, these shots look amazing. You sure know how to squeeze every last pixel out of a system. Makes me want to get back out to Sedona. Also makes me think twice about maybe bringing a thrid camera system with me on my next trip. :D

David

Guy Mancuso

This is very true David you had one of the first demo's and we shot a quick shot at that party and we said it was really nice. I guess sometimes we need things drilled into our head a couple times to hear things. For me that comes from two Italian parents that let's just say quiet was not in there language

V

Vivek

Oh, of course it was...

:rolleyes:
Geez, I need to loosen up! :eek:

..got Guy confused in all this as well.

Guy- Jack was just making all that up. As he posted in the other thread, it is quite trivial. Sorry for the digression of your thread..