The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya ZD road test. Wow

robertwright

Truth be told, I have some test shots I am too embarrassed to show -- they were taken specifically to see how the ZD sans cut filter responded to IR and have less than zero artisitic appeal. Suffice it to say, I am not in a hurry to do more IR with the ZD until I have an appropriate subject for it: It took me 45 minutes, three attempts and 9 swabs to clean off the naked sensor front, filter rear and filter front, just to get it back to the point where I had no dust bunnies... And no, the canned air would NOT blow them off, they needed the Eclipse and swabs. Like hanging freaking flypaper when you have to keep two surfaces clean before you assemble them to clean the third... FTR I *HATE* dirty sensors.
is it not a no-no to use compressed air on a sensor? I was always told that the compressed air can induce a static burst inside the sensor as the air moves over the surface of the glass cover, and that static burst can damage the pixels, which is why people use those blower bulbs. Can anyone confirm that?

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Well, since all this activity over the ZD, I decided to give it a test up against my Contax 645 / Aptus 75S. Both only with the 80mm lenses. The Mamiya sure is a ton less weight to carry around, and also makes excellent images in my opinion. Different from the Aptus, but very pretty in their own right. So nice in fact, I think I am just going to keep it around instead of buying another 35mm system. JUST what I need, a third type of digital back :angel:

Anyway, on to the show. You pick 'em... ZD or Aptus?

EH21

Yeah just hover the mouse and you can see the file names but I do like group 2 better - no question.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Not too tough to see which is which in this comparison...
Not if you are looking at them side by side. But if you aren't, and heck even if you are, the ZD really does a great job standing on it's own. Remember also please, this is my first shots from the ZD, so I am sure my work up will get a lot better after I play more with these files. First time shooting the body also, so there again improvements are bound to come after a few thousand frames. The Leaf backs, I have been shooting for five years so I better know what they can do by now :thumbup:

The lens difference is also got a lot to do with this difference, I am willing to bet. The Zeiss glass on the Contax is some of my own personal favorites. Heavy as tank shells, but stunning drawing & color. The Mamiya I could practically carry around in a brown paper bag. What I am looking forward to is printing a couple of these and see how they hold up....

Graham Mitchell

With respect, I don't think it's important how images look when reduced to tiny JPEGs. I'd want to see details at 100%, shadow noise, smoothness of graduations, etc

gogopix

Subscriber
i assume the zd was mamiya with 80mm M lens and zd back?

In that case I think virtually all the difference is in the glass maybe in where they focused and in the raw processing. I'm not sure the back/pixel readout would be this different.
also is there a crop difference? or were you just standing differently?
Victor

PS: Full disclosure-I am RABID c645 fan :D

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
What i am amazed about is the level of detail and the sharpness of these lenses that really cost nothing compared to other systems . This is another must lens the 55mm 2.8 . I shot this at F8. I shot this in Jerome a very old copper mining town and a great place for a day of shooting .Maybe even a workshop here along with Sedona. I did these in C1 4 beta and sharpening is turned off

Guy Mancuso

Watch this . Extreme shadow and bright light difference the first straight out of camera . Second playing with shadow and recovery how much you can tame down the highlights and pull out the shadows. There is a lot of elbow room here. Maybe worst case you will run across. I may have overcorrected but you get the idea

Guy Mancuso

C1 has a B&W high contrast setting. Pretty interesting. Don't ask still trying to figure out why the scare crow is hanging on the wall

Guy Mancuso

Yea Bob that is what is making me sing. The MFDB DR is really hard to ignore. Well you will get a chance to play in San Juan with this and the Phase One backs . This could be a scary trip for our wallets. LOL

Guy Mancuso

LOL your probably right Victor . I know this is going to be my new home soon if i keep buying stuff. LOL

Guy Mancuso

At least he has a front porch now. So a place to sit and smoke his Cuban Cigars

You realize he is going to nail me to the wall this morning. Still sleeping the lazy :cussing: