The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

ISO 800 - some Sinar eMotion 75 samples (2)

T

thsinar

Dear Greg,

yes, agree of course, and they are screenshots.

That's why I said that I can provide the DNG file, no problem at all and nothing to be hidden: I can also host it on my ftp.

I'll put it straight away and should be uploaded in about 20 minutes from now.

Access to my ftp:

ftp.sinar.ch
user name = HG
password = YSV3UD

Thierry

Thanks Thierry, very useful information and appreciate all the effort.

One thing I noticed however is that even though you posted 100% crops, they really aren't 100% since they've been further reduced to 900 pixels wide from your larger resolution mac screen so they're probably closer to 50% crops in reality. It would be very useful if you could post the actual dng file so others could look more deeply into the files. If you don't have a way to directly host them you might want to check out http://www.mediafire.com/ since they provide free hosting without all the silly restrictions of something like yousendit.

Thanks,

Greg

A

AlaBill

Thierry...

Many, many thanks to you for all the effort you went through to provide us with this info.

Guy and Jack...

Thanks especially to you guys for making this forum the "go to" forum for medium format. Seems like old times on the Fredmiranda board and the early DMR threads. Only problem is that those threads cost me a lot of money.

I think we need a header or pop-up that opens when you select the medium format forum. It should say...

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!!!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thierry...

Many, many thanks to you for all the effort you went through to provide us with this info.

Guy and Jack...

Thanks especially to you guys for making this forum the "go to" forum for medium format. Seems like old times on the Fredmiranda board and the early DMR threads. Only problem is that those threads cost me a lot of money.

I think we need a header or pop-up that opens when you select the medium format forum. It should say...

BE AFRAID, BE VERY AFRAID!!!
Yes we need a pop up warning.

BTW thanks for those comments. Jack and i really would like to make the MF forum grow. There really are some very smart and very nice folks here and the information is priceless. So please if you know someone that would enjoy our style of learning and sharing than please invite them.

T

thsinar

... I'm still drinking coffee, Guy, after this morning posts, and it's 9.30 pm here in Bangkok!

:ROTFL:

Thierry

Hell I moved so many threads this morning , i can't count. That was on one cup of coffee. Need two to really warm up the engine. :ROTFL:

LJL

I'm a dead man. I can feel my wife grabbing my wallet from me. :D:D:D
Guy,
You may not be alone with this problem :confused:

Thanks for cleaning up Thierry's great posts into one thread. I was jumping across things last night, and got lost a few times :eek:

Thierry, thanks ever so much for taking the time and effort to post these. I must say that from what I am seeing, the Sinarback at ISO 800 is pretty impressive at this point, and much better than I expected to see.

(There may be a problem trying to access your ftp server.....either I am jumping the gun because the file is not yet posted, or we may need some other piece of info to get to it. My browser (Safari) keeps telling me that I do not have permission to attach to your Mac HD. Will try going in with an ftp client tool instead.)

Yes...that worked. Folks will need to use an FTP tool (e.g. Transmit or others) to directly attach to your server to get the 45.08MB file, rather than trying to come through a browser.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Can't you just delete those "Moved" threads?
They're just taking up space.
Billy that is on the admin page and I need Jack's help there . If i hit a thread that was moved and try to manage it and hit delete it may take it from the main thread I moved it too. We are getting there it's only 7:30 in California for Jack.

T

thsinar

Thanks for cleaning up Thierry's great posts into one thread. I was jumping across things last night, and got lost a few times :eek:
MY mess!

Thierry, thanks ever so much for taking the time and effort to post these. I must say that from what I am seeing, the Sinarback at ISO 800 is pretty impressive at this point, and much better than I expected to see.
You're welcome, not a big deal.

(There may be a problem trying to access your ftp server.....either I am jumping the gun because the file is not yet posted, or we may need some other piece of info to get to it. My browser (Safari) keeps telling me that I do not have permission to attach to your Mac HD. Will try going in with an ftp client tool instead.)
It SHOULD work: I have many friends using this ftp. It is at Sinar and should pose no problem. Anyway, with a client ftp like "Captain FTP", etc ... it must work as well: I'm sending files almost every day.

If you have still problems, let me know and we shall find another way.
Thierry

LJL

MY mess!

Nobody is complaining over your great effort here :thumbup: I was just excited to see the details that I kept wanting to jump back and forth. All is good now.:clap:

You're welcome, not a big deal.

It SHOULD work: I have many friends using this ftp. It is at Sinar and should pose no problem. Anyway, with a client ftp like "Captain FTP", etc ... it must work as well: I'm sending files almost every day.

If you have still problems, let me know and we shall find another way.
Thierry
Thierry,
I used my ftp client (Transmit) which is like CuteFTP, or Captain FTP, or others, and that works perfectly for attaching to your server to download. I may have some of my settings in Safari configured funny or something, but using an FTP client tool is no problem at all and works perfectly. Thanks again for your effort.

LJ

T

thsinar

Great!

You're welcome,
Thierry

Thierry,
I used my ftp client (Transmit) which is like CuteFTP, or Captain FTP, or others, and that works perfectly for attaching to your server to download. I may have some of my settings in Safari configured funny or something, but using an FTP client tool is no problem at all and works perfectly. Thanks again for your effort.

LJ

BJNY

Billy that is on the admin page and I need Jack's help there . If i hit a thread that was moved and try to manage it and hit delete it may take it from the main thread I moved it too. We are getting there it's only 7:30 in California for Jack.
I would also like the ability to edit posts indefinitely,
rather than having a time limit,
usually to refine my grammar.

T

thsinar

ME TOO, especially when being a French like me!!! I always find the typo mistakes AFTER having hit!

Thierry

David K

Workshop Member
Thierry,

Thanks for your efforts here. I will have to try some higher ISO and longer exposure time shots myself, until now only using ISO 100. BTW, do you find your EXIF data to be correct.

LJL

Well, I took a quick look at the DNG file in both ACR/PS and Aperture. Incredible stuff for ISO 800. What little noise shows up in the deep shadows has a very fine grained film look to it, so it is very acceptable and pleasing. This is impressive.

Just for the record, the conversion looks good in ACR, but it looks better in Aperture. I know I may be a bit biased there, but if you have both, you will see the difference. Aperture tends to reduce the noise grain to a very pleasing appearance, and still holds up well at Thierry's posted boosts (about one stop for Exposure, and maybe another for Brightness). In fact, things hold up very nicely with a full 2-stop exposure increase or more to pull up the shadows. This is a very nice and quite robust file that can take a lot of adjustment. Wish I had this much flexibility in my 1DsMkII files, but they are not even close in that regard. My quick eyeball estimate would be that this Sinar file at ISO 800 has less noise than what I normally see from my 1DsMkII files at ISO 800. Very impressive.

That "bad" feeling is coming over me again....may have to start selling lots of stuff to add one of these to the kit.

LJ

T

thsinar

I'm not familiar at all with Aperture, but your findings makes me eager to try it. Thanks to share.

Thierry

Just for the record, the conversion looks good in ACR, but it looks better in Aperture. I know I may be a bit biased there, but if you have both, you will see the difference. Aperture tends to reduce the noise grain to a very pleasing appearance, and still holds up well at Thierry's posted boosts (about one stop for Exposure, and maybe another for Brightness).
LJ

Guy Mancuso

Well there are several extremely good reasons for this and almost all forums are the same in this respect. But that is OT for this thread.