The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Well, I did it (ordering a 645D)

Ed Hurst

Hello all,

I have just ordered a Pentax 645D from Japan to use in conjunction with my collection of Pentax 67 lenses. I have also ordered the new 55mm f2.8 to go with it.

This will be my first medium format digital camera, so I am suitably excited and eager to see what it produces for me.

Clearly, given the release dates and shipping, I won't have it for a little while yet. But when I do, I'd be happy to post images here for you all to see. I'd also be happy to carry out some basic tests (if someone advises me how to do so!). Just let me know what you'd like to see, and I'll do my best to oblige.

Wish me luck!

Ed

Terry

Wooohoooo lucky you.
Are you in the US? Where did you order it from?
I've been watching the camera and did manage to find one 645 lens (80-160) but haven't taken the plunge.

Ed Hurst

I forgot to say Terry - no, I am not in the US. I am based in a mixture of the UK and Australia.

Ed Hurst

Hi Terry,

This was one of my main concerns before ordering and Dirk assured me that it has. Naturally I'll be checking that quite eagerly when I receive it!

Ed

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Terry - I ordered it from Dirk at http://www.japanexposures.com/
He's been very helpful and communicative so far with the process!

Guy - thanks - that would be much appreciated. What's the best way for us to do that?

Best wishes,

Ed
Well if you where here in the states it would be easy we could meet up. But I can give you a outline to follow with some tips and you can also get me some raws to process as well. When you get it just let me know and we can work on it. I know everyone here would love to see results from it.

BTW I will be in NY for almost two weeks in late July. Think I will also do a meet up with GetDPI folks. I did that one year and we had a lot of fun.

Ed Hurst

Thanks Guy. When I get the camera and have got the hang of the basic functions, I will post another message here and contact you directly to discuss further.

I'd be very happy to share results with the whole group and get everyone's views...

Good move Ed. If I were still in the market for a dMF camera, then it would be almost impossible to not seriously consider the Pentax 645D based on price point and sensor specs alone. Even if you and the camera don't get along, you can probably sell it (fairly soon after release) without losing any money. I see it as almost a no-risk free trial since you already have lenses.