The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Rollei Hy6 News

Loc Pham

So a well regarded photography company, considered dead by many, announces that they are alive and putting out new lenses; and some people's first reaction is to complain about the lens pictured in the announcement?

Geez.

That's like being offered a check and complaining about the paper it's printed on.

Geoff

The new lenses are great. The idea of them putting out new product is great. The fact that it might just be a mockup is fine. Two of them, pretty much identical, is a bit less fine.

- from a true believer....

Stuart Richardson

Too late for me. I wish they had come out with the 6x6 back a year ago (or longer ago), and then I would still have the camera. In fact, it should have come with the introduction of the camera. But anyway, this is good news for people who stuck it out with the camera. Nice for them to get some new lenses and the 6x6 back. I hope these are actually delivered and available for order one day.

Stuart Richardson

That said, a 150mm? There are tons of them available already, Sonnars, Tele-Xenars, APO symmar etc. Why not a 35mm or wider? That is what the system was missing most...

T.Karma

Rollei (or insert any name here) is really funny.
When you think they are alive, they announce to be dead soon.
And after they kick officially the bucket, they suddenly arise from the ashes again and put out new products. How many lives does a Rollei have?

Geoff

That said, a 150mm? There are tons of them available already, Sonnars, Tele-Xenars, APO symmar etc. Why not a 35mm or wider? That is what the system was missing most...
Its likely the 35 mm has some pretty serious upfront manufacturing costs. The 120 and 150 might be recycled formulas, upgraded, and with AF. That's just a guess, but I'd bet the short teles are a lot easier than the wide 35.

Paratom

Too late for me. I wish they had come out with the 6x6 back a year ago (or longer ago), and then I would still have the camera. In fact, it should have come with the introduction of the camera. But anyway, this is good news for people who stuck it out with the camera. Nice for them to get some new lenses and the 6x6 back. I hope these are actually delivered and available for order one day.
One thing though. Before F&H went insolvent I had asked for the cost of that 6x6 film back. I dont recall the exact number but I remember it was very expensive. I just hope they do not only deliever the back but also sell it for a fair price.
Otherwise its cheaper to buy a whole used 6008-camera.

jerryreed

Is it your sense that utilizing B&W 2 1/4 film, then scanning it that the image quality of the resultant process would surpass that of the direct digital images taken from the eMotion 75 LV? I never shot 2 1/4 film and really have no sense of the merit of this product line extension.

Now the shutter release cable, said to be in the works, would for me be a nice addition.

Jerry

Stuart Richardson

They are totally different media. Scanning black and white film does not usually show it to its best advantage, but there are some good reasons that one might choose to do so. 1. Different films have distinct looks -- their characteristic curve (their tonality and response to different light levels), grain and so on. If you find a film/developer combo you like, it is like a preset.
2. Film and digital have fundamentally different behaviors in reaction to light -- neither is necessarily better or worse, but they are certainly different. Pick the one you like better.
3. The Hy6 is a 6x6 camera, and the 6x6 film back allows you to use the camera as it was designed -- the full viewfinder, full lens circle, no masks, no rotating etc. If you like using square compositions, it is 56x56mm instead of 36x36mm.
4. A film back is a nice backup even if you use primarily digital. You can use it in situations where Sinar digital backs do not work (exposures over 32 seconds, high ISO's up to 6400 or so (delta 3200, provia 400x etc), or when you just want a different look).
5. I am sure there are other reasons too, but I need to go to work. Suffice to say, for a lot of people it is a really nice addition. I was begging for it for a year ago, but they never confirmed to me that they would actually make it and then they went out of business (or so they said), which is what eventually caused me to sell the camera. Now I use the 6008AF, almost exclusively with the 6x6 back.
As for the price -- I am sure it will be extremely expensive -- 1000 USD or so would be my guess. I do think it will be cheaper to buy a used 6008 camera, but then you don't get the nice advantages of the Hy6...the ergonomics, shutter damping, battery life etc etc.

Geoff

Stuart has this very much targeted correctly. My own .02:

Different - not just in the results, but in the whole experience. THis has been discussed at length many times, but here's one more take (sorry if everyone has been over this ground too many times).
Shooting 6x6 film and scanning it can give an amazing feeling - the images have a depth and a richnes that is quite compelling.

MFDB shots are also compelling, but different. One thing is that in film, BW is preferred - I think for the control...but with the digital back, color is a fun part of the equation. You can always take it out later - its kind of like two shots in one - pick your direction later.

At 100% viewing (on the screen) the digital file is sharper. But at print sizes up to 16" square, the film has a different feel and resolution that is very charming and certainly sharp.

The reason to go digital is only partially the quality (and that can be debated). The real reason are the larger issues of work flow Its not just the shooting - or the storage, or the access. Some of it is simple dumb stuff:

Scanning can really be a PITA for a lot of work. Dust removal gets a bit tedious.

To get film processed and proofed locally is getting pricey. The quality of the techs has gone downhill. My "all-in" cost for 6x6 shooting gets up to around $3 a shot (could be half that with shipping, but again... more hassles).

With that kind of cost, experimentation lags. You wouldn't take 4-6 shots of a single scene in film without thinking about it. Not to mention all the other hassles - pickup/delivery, scanning, dust removal....

Film has a benefit of archiving simplicity, and essential compactness. Retrieval is easy too.

With digital, you have enormous upfront costs to be sure, and even continued costs in processing and storage - but the cost of a shot is nothing.Shoot, adjust, shoot, etc. The whole shooting experience is different - you can go into situations that have "no win" written all over them (hard light issues, etc.) and try. Surprises show up.

jerryreed

Thank you for your very helpful responses to my question about film versus digital capture.

I think that I am happy with the digital images and like being able to use color controls before converting images to B&W to raise or lower the luminance of parts of the image based upon their original color.

Based upon your responses the extra trouble and expense of capturing on film then converting to color would provide a different, but not better image.

Jerry

VICTOR BT

wow... what seems to me as a dream camera is coming back ?
and now 6x6 magazine too...
im all intrigued now

Schmiddi

wow... what seems to me as a dream camera is coming back ?
Well - some parts are coming back. But the camera is dead, forever! The licence to build the camera is in hands of Phase One, and they locked it away - they have their Mamyia-system and are in no way interested in a second body.

Nevertheless: for those who actually own a Hy6 it's great news that DHW is there! I for sure will visit them at Photokina. And it makes me think even to buy one (well - if I find the money :angry:).

Andreas

David K

Workshop Member
The licence to build the camera is in hands of Phase One, and they locked it away - they have their Mamyia-system and are in no way interested in a second body.
Andreas
Is this really the case... I thought I had read that the Hy6 was in the hands of a small private group that formerly worked at F&H. Maybe I've got my facts scrambled:confused:

PeterA

• You can buy a new Hy6 from Sinar - maybe they are selling ghosts?
  • You can get your Hy6 serviced by Sinar ( maybe they are servicing ghosts?) People who have bought new Hy6's over the last few months ( from Sinar) must be using ghosts and;
  • People ( like myself) who are having their Hy6 serviced by Sinar (right now) must havee sent their camera to a cemetary or somesuch.

I think the famous Oscar Wilde quote here is perfect...:D

Sinar even has a website ..maybe it is fake??