The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Comparison Images of 645D versus Canon 5Dii

Ed Hurst

Not sure what to make of this... It includes some surprising results regarding high ISO performance on the 645D (i.e. that it holds up well against a 5Dii). Resolution, as you might expect, looks better too (though I am suspicious of the 5Dii images having some testing error in them because they look oddly poorer than I'd expect).

http://ganref.jp/magazine/dcm/mag/10_06/645d/

Still, taken at face value, looks impressive for the 645D.

Any thoughts anyone?

Ed

Jeffg53

Hardly suprising, I just don't understand why people bother with these comparisons. We all know that we pay a premium for MF and that a DSLR is excellent value for money.

S

Shelby Lewis

well... the flower shots aren't even focused on the same places, so that rules out that comparison. And the areas that are in focus (on the pentax) don't seem that impressive to me as far as micro-detail is concerned. I like the color though. The canon is focused on an area that is fairly devoid of detail, so that's no help at all.

The cherry blossom tree (I guess?) shot isn't much different. PLENTY of resolution from the pentax, but the glass doesn't seem to be helping here at all. No real wow-factor in the drawing style and rendering. Definitely not what I'm used to seeing from MF equipment.

The final image on that page finally starts looking pretty good, though (detail-wise)... much better than some of the others as far as detail.

Overall... I've not seen much from the pentax that really wows me yet. It's the single camera I want, more than any of them, to succeed as Pentax was the brand I grew up on... but I am still unimpressed as of now.

Where it might be really nice though is for people... a slightly softer rendering from the glass (even though with lots of resolution) can be really nice for people-oriented photography.

Anders_HK

What strikes me with the images from the 645D not only here but in another internet posting is that the rendering appear more like DSLR than that from Leaf, PhaseOne, Hassy, Sinar or even Mamiya ZD. Perhaps it is too early to tell,... but I cannot help make this reflection.

Could it be that the sensor is designed by Kodak more on DSLR terms, with a higher base ISO of 200 and better high ISO than MFDBs?

Regards
Anders

Sharokin

The images posted here look horrible. Previous images from the 645D look amazing with great amount of detail and amazing DR. This camera in the right hands will sing.

I have no doubt this camera is making Phase and hasselblad very nervous.

S

Shelby Lewis

Still not liking what I see... lots of pixels, but not a very pretty rendering of what they are capturing.

I hope it's user ineptitude... as I really want this camera to be the game changer in the market.

Charles Wood

Likewise, I've got a bag full of P645 lenses along with a very old and reliable 645n. I won't get too concerned about JPG files. They certainly won't look as good as RAW files. I opened some of the posted images in CS5 and cleaned them up considerably. Some of them are overexposed with blown out whites and others are muddy. Using shadows/highlights in CS5, I opened up the images to look at the noise in the dark areas and they look cleaner than my 5d2, so I'm hopeful.

E

espressogeek

I've noticed that the jpg I have seen don't have that "MF Look" in terms of rendering either. Maybe the people using this camera aren't MF savvy and haven't been able to produce fantastic files?

David Schneider

I appreciate flowers and scenic images, but show me some people so I can look at skin tones and eye lashes. Show me a group photo of 10-100 people and let me see some detail. Although I don't do many of them, for me a wedding is nice test since there are formal groups, difficult lighting situations, individual images.