The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar eMotion 54LV - ISO 400 (max)

Graham Mitchell

ISO 400 is definitely usable for most subjects on this back. Here is a 0.5s exposure at ISO 400. Once again, there were strong sodium lights so this is a torture test. (No noise reduction applied).

Will post another sample in a minute.

Graham Mitchell

And crops, unproccessed and then noise reduction applied:

Remember, you probably would never shoot a scene like this at ISO 400 (the max setting) but nice to know it can be cleaned up pretty well. The colour saturation of dark colours suffers, so there's still no substitute for base ISO.

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Graham
I was very disappointed in some of my ISO 800 shots from the P45+, as there was this classic noise. However, I was also amazed how well it cleared up on yours. SO I tried myself (used noisewhere mostly defaults)
even a little extra sharpening
this is ok just a.3 sec exposure but it was DARK at the top of ALbi. :)

Victor

PS these are of course 100%. pixel for pixel same here and on PD screen

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Its a little unfair;I dont have a 50 or 100 and I changed lenses!

but here is an NO NR ISO 400 shot of same area.

seems so of the 'noise' was peeling paint!

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
well. I guess there was more noise than I thought!:D

ANyway, it is clear that the sinars improved from 54 ti 75s and even in the 75s from july of last year (as someone here commented)

enough for ME to take a look at the new 75! :eek:

Victor

Last edited:

Graham Mitchell

ok, Thierry suggested that I try processing this image with Brumbaer to solve the colour saturation issue, and wow does it make a difference!

Same ISO 400 shot, processed differently and cleaned up:

Compare with:

Thierry, i assume that this option is only available if you are shooting untethered? If I shoot tethered and use Exposure how could I use Brumbaer's DNG converter?

These ISO 400 shots have been longer exposures and under very unnatural light. I will go out now and take a shot in the sun at 1/100 or faster (and ISO 400) and report back.

BJNY

Graham,
In the two threads you started, how were your all your long exposure images previously processed?
Billy

Graham Mitchell

Graham,
In the two threads you started, how were your all your long exposure images previously processed?
Billy
Not sure I understand the question, sorry. I have been using Exposure except for this last file. Brumbaer seems a lot better at preserving dark colours at high ISO.

Graham Mitchell

ok, here is a quick snapshot I just took outside. Handheld, ISO 400, around f10 and 1/600.

Unlike the previous shots under sodium light and longer exposure (which was a torture test) this is showing off ISO 400 under favourable conditions. Please consider these factors when comparing different shots! Here you can see how much difference the conditions make on the same ISO setting on the same camera.

Further note, this IS a torture test for dynamic range but there was no clipping at either end, even at ISO 400.

Scene:

crop with no noise reduction:

crop after some noise reduction:

LJL

This is interesting, as I had commented that Thierry's ISO 800 shot was surprisingly good also, and his processing involved Brumbear also. Seems like we are back to the software having something to do with how things come out again. I was under the impression that eXposure had incorporated Brumbear's algorithms or at least came close. Does not look to be the case.

LJ

David K

Workshop Member
I was under the impression that eXposure had incorporated Brumbear's algorithms or at least came close. Does not look to be the case.
LJ
As was I, in fact, I was told that this was the case by my dealer. I think there's some misinformation being spread around (innocently, I'm sure) which makes these posts particularly valuable.

LJL

Graham,
Your original morning shot was not bad, but it really cleaned up nicely with Noise Ninja. Seems like the Brumbaer algoritms are doing some really nice things.

LJ

Graham Mitchell

Yeah, it's nice to know that ISO 400 is very usable, and not just for emergencies, though it may suffer with longer exposures. However, I would only use ISO 400 when I wanted to get a fast exposure in poor light (e.g. to freeze people). Otherwise, I would use base ISO.

T

thsinar

Yes, it does make a difference, currently and with the Brumbaer converter, when one wants to "preserve" the colours: the secret here is to use the right "Colour Matrix", which Brumbaer's converter allows (eXposure has a colour calibration as well in the current version, but not so elaborate yet).

Which "Colour Matrix" did you choose, Graham, for this conversion?

The noise itself is not such a problem, in both converters.

Thierry

ok, Thierry suggested that I try processing this image with Brumbaer to solve the colour saturation issue, and wow does it make a difference!

Thierry, i assume that this option is only available if you are shooting untethered? If I shoot tethered and use Exposure how could I use Brumbaer's DNG converter?

These ISO 400 shots have been longer exposures and under very unnatural light. I will go out now and take a shot in the sun at 1/100 or faster (and ISO 400) and report back.

T

thsinar

as said, Brumbaer does not change much concerning noise, there is no noise reduction taking place either in Brumbaer nor in eXposure (no filter built-in yet), and this is done in e.g. ACR.

Thierry

Last sequence processed with Brumbaer.