Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: choosing a new MFD system

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: choosing a new MFD system

Here is an image of Rochester Cathedral Quire, taken last Saturday. It has been perpective corrected and otherwise corrected slightly, slightly sharpned and cropped a little, mainly from the right. The red boxes indicate the cropped areas

next is a centre crop, full size

And finally, a top left crop, full size

My view from these and other images I have taken is that the 50mm Hassy lens is a decent performer. The file quality from the H4D-50 is so high that this file would accept a lot more sharpening without showing any artifacts (even though it has already been tweaked in Photoshop a fair bit), but I don't think it needs it.

Quentin
    Last edited by Quentin_Bargate; 7th June 2010 at 15:31.
    Quentin Bargate
    Director of Bargate Murray, Law Firm of the Year 2012 - 2017, ”leading individual”, Chambers HNW guide, 2017, Photographer

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by VICTOR BT View Post
    @ marc...
    i see 2&4 pictures, and for me it makes sense, no issues, i dont see medium format camera as limitation at all, see my answer to guy in my previous comment. i guess both u and guy (he uses phase 40 as i understand from his comments/reviews) handle it just at their full potential (in terms of spontaneous attitude). all in all, i have to mention that from your impressions on h4d i read previously we see the camera in somewhat similar way as working tool. thats why i liked your remarks about this camera.
    so is with HTS1.5, if it is eassier to use, faster, more rewording, and the image quality is less but in the same league, then why not, why make things complicated ?!!! :-)
    i still dont have a clear answer about it, and i will not have it without either testing for myself, or actually using after buying it... but i liked the idea from the beggining, and the comments about hts1.5 here on the forum (yours and others too) make me think that it is a really great addition to the system. so, was glad to read your impressions, and thanks for your comments.
    funny, hassy had phase/leaf as "opponent" when i opened this thread, but i suddenly find myself thinking seriously about some solution with hy6 as opponent to hassy system. no hts1.5 advantage, but HY6! :-)
    as for my website... i think u should see the link to it as my signature now (i see it, safari). here it is in any case: http://web.mac.com/victorbt/iWeb/Sit...EN%20TZVI.html

marc, one more question (also something im not sure i will be testing before choosing the system)... hows the 50mm lens on hassy if u know ? it should be about normal (slightly wide) for me on 40mp chip size. i have dowloaded the data-sheet from hassy size... looks ok wide open, ok when closed to optimum, the distortion is not small, but i understand Phocus takes care...
    any impressions please ?!!
    Victor, the 50 isn't the strongest lens in the H system ... but Phocus does correct most of it. I've used the 50 with the HTS and it's pretty good because Phocus is set up for both the lens and the HTS. I've done quite a bit of industrial photography with the 50 and no one has complained so far : -) On the 1.3X crop H4D/40 the edges are gone anyway ... besides, when you get to this level of performance it's splitting hairs.

BTW, I see you are from Georgia ... one of my best friends is the photographer Irakly Shandize who also was born in Georgia, USSR.

Marc

Post Thanks / Like

@ quentin
    thanks alot for the samples, indeed, looks like nothing much to worry about the lens performance.

@ marc, thanks... knowing that the lens is superb is a good feeling, but from the other hand "spliting hairs" on lens performance is out my photographic priority :-)

yes, i know Irakly, we met in Portugal a couple of years ago, tell him my georgian salutation for him :-)

Post Thanks / Like

ok back to the previous comments.
    again thanks for replies.

@ guy... good points about batteries. those little things are irritating, one battery type is better, after all, if this is hasselbald, than hts1.5 might be added, so no need in tech camera... all in theory of course at the moment for me, but one type battery is easier life anyway, not sure if it is an issue of weight, just seems easier to be sure that theres always some power in the bag.
    as for your remark about lenses and shutter... leaf shutter anyway, but both phase and hassy cover what i need from normal lens (50-80) anyway (well, maybe a little bit advantage on hassy for wide and macro being leaf too).
    as for biewfinders : i know mamiya/pahse already (af-ii) so this is already good enough, and if new afd is improved and hassy is better than what the issue. same about handeling (orgonomics, af-ii is good and if afd or hassy is better then great).
    one thing - hassy has two types of viewfinder/prism, with higher megnification (better for smaller chips) and lower magnification (covers full frame)... so this high-madnif might be the advantage (for focus accuracy and bigger view) on small 40 chip...

@ steve hendrix and jack
    i certainly want to hear the negative aspects as u and Jack say.
    another voice with satisfactory tones for hts. i already answered about it (to marc here), it seems that no real complients till know about IQ or usability, obviously not a match to alpa/tech, but after all, it might be a great creative tool, making a versatile system.
    i will have a look at your recommended thread about mfd-gotcas...

@ don, of course best is a function of individual needs (quality expectations, common subject matters for photography, handling, artistic attitude etc)... best here is only in moderate term, more like optimal, and yes, i am asking for a lot, camera that can work in many conditions, and bring enjoyable work and potential for quality prints.

@ pteterA... well, im not sure i can test every option on table. but with some intuition where the real test miss... the good thing is that none of the choices and combinations here are bad, actually, all of them is good ... so just to choose with prior testing/study, and then forget about choices and do photography with it :-)

@ davidK
    yes, i see a really wide range of opinions here, and this really helps to get a picture.

Post Thanks / Like

@ don...
    weight is surely a consideration...
    no issue with studio, and no issue with production. when in production, camera system weight is not a big deal, just think about lighting and all other stuff...
    but them, since it should be a general "do-everything" camera for me, i do concider weight and ease of use, because in my cases i want to do photos solo - travel light, and work with person without all the production mass (more equipemnt and people). so here light is better.

@ dougdolde...
    i can think about hy6, just because it is hy6,
    lets say - rz is way too big... yes it does weist-level and with leaf revolving sensor it can do vertical and horizontal (unlike hassy H weist-level finder)... but overall, for its huge size i dont see advantage over hassy or phase.