The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Using Blad V system lenses on MFD (and others?)

Ed Hurst

Hi Al,

Yes, I have no doubt that it is possible here to get good prices on used V lenses. I also agree with you that Pentax-designed dedicated digital lenses are likely to be extremely good and the best options. However, at present it is unclear that they are going to produce such lenses any time soon for all focal lengths. They've brought out a new 55mm f2.8 and announced something wider to come. But moderate to longer telephoto has not yet been mentioned. So I am left trying to decide whether legacy Pentax lenses (including the 67 lenses I already have) are going to be the absolute best option available or whether something else might be better... Of course if Pentax announced their longer-term plans in more detail, that would probably settle it for me!

atanabe

Ed,
If it were my decision, I would wait and see what the total system will be before making the investment. I do know that the company has not even made up their minds as to offer the camera to the broader world market yet. With digital you take a huge depreciation in a short time period and even greater for orphaned platforms.
Al

Ed Hurst

Hi Al,
I see where you're coming from on this, but I have already ordered a 645D (to go with my collection of P67 lenses) so the decision is made! So my mindset is very much about getting the best out of it!
Ed

bensonga

Hi Al,
I see where you're coming from on this, but I have already ordered a 645D (to go with my collection of P67 lenses) so the decision is made! So my mindset is very much about getting the best out of it!
Ed
So go with your P67 lenses for awhile, see how they perform and let us know. Many of us with legacy P67 or P645 glass would like to know.....just in case we win the lottery.

Unless you're trying to make a living from photography and your clients demand the utmost quality NOW, you've got time to wait, test the alternatives (whether Hasselbald Zeiss glass etc) and see what Pentax comes out with in the way of new digital lenses over the next year or so.

Just from a personal perspective....if I was in your shoes (ie having ordered a 645D and with a nice collection of P67 lenses) I'd just use my P67 lenses and see how the images look. If I wasn't satisfied with the results, then I'd start looking for alternatives (whether new Pentax digital lenses or whatever). Who knows....maybe those P67 lenses will be up to the job after all! After all.....to the best of my knowledge, no one has yet seen how well the Pentax 67 lenses perform on a medium format sized digital camera like the 645D.

I'm really looking forward to seeing your images from the 645D with P67 glass.

Gary

Last edited:

atanabe

Ed,
I agree with Gary, use your 67 lenses first and if they perform, for you great. I feel that there is more to an image than extreme sharpness. The lens should draw the image and add its' own feeling or personality to the image.

Don't forget to share your images

Al