The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF ball head for monopod -- just tell me what to buy!

faneuil

I am a very happy user of a gitzo monopod with my P1 camera/p45 back.
This combination has produced great results.

I have a simple one plane of motion swivel mount which I have been meaning to replace with a ball for several years.

Just put me out my misery and tell me which ball mount to get that would be appropriate for the camera weight and for monopod use.

Would like to keep it under $200.

cheers and thanks for the advice.

Eric

K

Ken Tanaka

May I suggest considering the Manfrotto "Joystick" Head? I've been using one with my monopod for several years and find it's one-handed release adjustment particularly good on a monopod.

T

tetsrfun

I found that the "universal" movement of a ball head was a PITA, especially using heavy gear. I found that the RRS MH-01 is a better option.

Steve

faneuil

yes, I was wondering about really right stuff. A friend swears by it for tripod and 35mm gear.
Just wasn't sure which would be right for MF and monopod.

thanks
Eric

faneuil

I found that the "universal" movement of a ball head was a PITA, especially using heavy gear. I found that the RRS MH-01 is a better option.

Steve
I have a manfrotto swivel like that now. Does the RRS mount let you turn 90 degrees to the baseplate mount so you can swivel in the other direction? Right now I have to reattach the quick release plate on my camera.

T

tetsrfun

I have a manfrotto swivel like that now. Does the RRS mount let you turn 90 degrees to the baseplate mount so you can swivel in the other direction? Right now I have to reattach the quick release plate on my camera.
An RRS PCL-1 "pano" clamp mounted on the MH-01 will solve that problem but the total cost of an MH-01 and PCL-1 is more than $200.00 USD.

Steve

faneuil

looks very nice, but yes, it is getting pricey fro the pano clamp and swivel.
It a ball head really that much a PITA?

:)

E

T

tetsrfun

looks very nice, but yes, it is getting pricey fro the pano clamp and swivel.
It a ball head really that much a PITA?

:)

E
I guess it depends on how you use it. For my monopod use, I needed additional motion in the vertical axis compared to the direct monopod/camera attachment. I used a ballhead for awhile and in addition to vertical motion, I got universal motion that tended to slew the camera axis in unwanted directions. That's when I did some research and "discovered" the MH-01. An MH-01 + B2-Pro II clamp @ $226 is near your price point but doesn't solve the problem of plate orientation. However, moving the plate may be worth saving $200.00 +.:>).

Steve

K

Ken Tanaka

Greg,
I find this head to be very quick for quick rotation of the camera without translation. That is, being able to tilt the camera without tilting the monopod or having to loosen/tighten a single-axis clutch. The handle, which I've adjusted to the left hand, is also extremely handy for stabilization.

Just personal preferences, but worth a look for someone just assembling a monopod kit.