The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

blad system and older digital backs

drazin

hi all.

i have a hasselblad 203 system and i was thinking of adding an OLDER/CHEAP digital back to it. i want to use it when i walk around, and not in a studio situation.

can someone in the know drop some knowledge on me and tell me what is available and which is best to get and some prices?

atanabe

In MF digital "Cheap" is a word needing a definition. :) The 203 and 205 Hasselblads can be modified at the NJ repair center to electronically connect to the CFV, CFVII and CFV39 backs and is by far the only solution for the focal plane systems. I used to have a 2000FCM and it would work using the CFV connected to the flash sync which limited capture to a maximum of 1/90th of a second. Modifying the 203 will allow capture at all speeds with the CFV back without cords. I was told by the other third party vendors, Phase and Leaf that I could not use their backs with the focal plane Hasselblads. If you had the 500 series, your options are much greater.

Now the cheap part, used CFVs can be found for about $5500 and up, Hasselblad will from time to time, have refurb backs with a six month guarantee extendable to two years for an additional cost. While $5000 is not chump change, it is the only solution for the focal plane Hasselblads and does away with sync cords. The hard part it seems is finding a used one, or if you want to step up to the latest 39mp back, $13,000 or less depending on your retailer.

You could also consider switching out entirely to the H system and get into a H3DII 31mp body (camera and back) for $9995. As I said earlier "Cheap" in MF digital is a relative term.

Good luck,
Al

hi all.

i have a hasselblad 203 system and i was thinking of adding an OLDER/CHEAP digital back to it. i want to use it when i walk around, and not in a studio situation.

drazin

ok are there "less expensive" options for the 500 series bodies?

also, the H3DII is that a 6x6 format? this is the format i love most.

atanabe

The 500 series can take pretty much all of the older backs. Most all have to be tethered with a PC sync cable to trigger the sync of the back. The Phase P20 and P21 were square format I believe. But the H3DII is a 645 format as most of the modern backs. The CFV 39 is also a 645 format with the option to use the square crop. The CFV backs have a 1.5 crop factor reducing the capture to the 4x4 central area. There are no full frame 6x6 capture options.

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
The Phase P20 and P21 were square format I believe.
H20/P20/P20+ are square. Every other Phase One is rectangular. The P20 can be combined with a mask for the viewfinder which reduces the viewer to the size of the square chip.

An H20 could be had for a few thousand but would require you to tether to a computer and has a 1.5x crop from 6x6.

Dicomed's BigShot was the only 6x6 back made. It was first made in 1996 and I mention it here only for those with an interest in the history of digital backs.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Last edited:
D

dng88

If you use only non-FE lens i.e. CF or even C lens, can 203 FE be used with focal plan shutter with other backs?

T

tetsrfun

If you use only non-FE lens i.e. CF or even C lens, can 203 FE be used with focal plan shutter with other backs?
The 203FE set to "C" lenses and a CF lens + sync cable works fine. I think with this set up, the focal plane shutter acts in a similar fashion to the rear curtain in the 500 series.

Steve