The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Anyone still using a Kodak DCS Pro Digital Back?

jdbfreeheel

I'm looking for tips, advice, etc. I just purchased one (mostly as something to play with) to ride shotgun with my Leaf 6II (28mp) back.

I'm looking for spare batteries too if anyone has any laying around and still hold a charge.

Josh

J

JKunkel

Great digital back, but please be aware- I had one for less than a week, was really enjoying using it, but then decided to take infrared photos with it. An internal part broke and shorted the back out when I slid the lever to remove the IR filter, this is a design flaw that I did not know about when I removed it. There is a risk to removing the filter for any reason, even to clean the sensor. Some people have used Kodak backs for years taking IR photos and never had a problem, I was able to do it once. The repair would have cost more than the back was worth, luckily I was able to get credit for it (even in it's damaged state) towards the purchase of a Phase One P20+. Good luck with your back, hopefully it won't have this problem.

fotografz

Awesome back for its time. If Kodak had continued on along with a Contax 645 MK-II, I believe that is what most of us would be using today : -)

Unfortunately, the batteries are proprietary and extremely difficult to find ... as in nearly impossible. If you find some, snap all of them up.

-Marc

kdphotography

Great back at base ISO.

1. Use Kodak's Photodesk software with the "custom looks" software add-on. Very fast workflow, and nice profiles.

2. You can get a Quantum cord that will plug into the Kodak DCS Proback. This will allow you to power the Proback with any compatible Quantum battery (Turbo, TurboSC, Turbo III)

H3dtogo

I use it as an IR back for some time now and am very pleased with the results. I als have a perfect spare not IR used one for Hasselblad H that does not get to come out of the camera case as often as i would like, therefore might sell that one. Comes with 3 batteries and all what was with the original purchase, 26000 shots taken. Great back to use and perfect as a trade in.

jdbfreeheel

kd - thanks for the Quantum suggestion; hadn't thought of that. I love those battery packs but they add a layer of weight/cables that I'm hoping to avoid. Looks like I'll be contacting Midwest to order me a couple batteries for the time being.

-Josh

H3dtogo

If you have a total flat battery that won't charge again, you always could ask a handyman to replace the cells inside the casing. The battery hangs under the body unlike the phase solution were the battery exactly fits a dedicated space. Even when ductaped or glued together after surgery with power glue, the battery will still fit.