The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Wooden tripods

Jeffg53

Slightly OT but I have been contemplating a new tripod and just look at the Berlebach site. There appears to be a plethora of models but not a vast amount of information. I currently use a Gitzo 1325 with Cube.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

bensonga

Hi Jeff,

I'm not sure what you mean by "point you in the right direction", but if you're looking for more information about the various models in an easily accessible format, you could check out the Badger Graphic or B&H Photo websites. They have a description of the features and specifications of each model. There may be other suppliers with similar (or better) ways of presenting the information.

I have the Berlebach 3032 tripod. It's a 2 section tripod with a leveling ball, but no center column. The Berlebach's are nicely made and not too expensive. :thumbup:

Gary

Jeffg53

Thanks Gary. What I meant was 'what to look for, what models people are using etc.' It would never occur to me to look at a two leg model comimg from Gitzo three and four leg models.

I'll loo at Badger and B&H.

PeterA

Jeff I bought a Reis from a forum member here a couple of years ago..it is much heavier than the Gitzo - here is a snap with my cube an Alpa on top - very sturdy and I get the feeling that vibration damping is a better. You can also keep the base which the Reis comes with so that then he whole base flips and adjust so with Cube you have much extended movement ranges..I like the big knurly knobs - you can switch between metal pins at bottom of legs or rubber feet - depending on usage requirements - the whole kit comes with a padded at end bag - very nice. I preferred it to the one you mentioned above. Everything is replaceable and easy maintenance. Of course adjusting leg extension is more fiddly than with Gitzo. That and weight are the major relative offsets.

PS shot taken with 180 Xenotar and Sinar Hy6 - love the Rollie lenses for their old school bokeh! -:)

Pete

Last edited:

bensonga

I've never seen a Ries in person....but they sure look beautiful in the photos.

Surely I can find some excuse for owning TWO wooden tripods. :eek:

Gary

PeterA

Yes Jeff - the tyranny of distance - makes us internet shopping gurus..also forums like this have lots of people familiar with good stuff available in the USofA

Apologies about previous spelling errors was in a rush - am half way through a pie baking competition with the "trouble and strife"!

Gary - I get a buzz out of using beautifully crafted equipment that does a great job -The Reis fits the bill perfectly and makes for a lovely pairing withe the Arca Cube on top! Both lifetime and pass on to whoever ( when the time comes) investments.

E

eleanoreran

I have the Benro C-2691M8 Tripod,This Benro C-2691M8 tripod have an extra function, one of the leg can be used to monopod, it is light and convenient, also give you other choice.you could check out the linkdelight site

bensonga

Gary - I get a buzz out of using beautifully crafted equipment that does a great job -The Reis fits the bill perfectly and makes for a lovely pairing withe the Arca Cube on top! Both lifetime and pass on to whoever ( when the time comes) investments.
Agreed! Too bad I don't have any children to pass this stuff along to someday. Maybe a niece or nephew.

Which model of Reis tripod are you using Peter? I was thinking of something along the lines of the J100 or J100-2.

Gary

PeterA

I think it is the J100 - with double tilt head - although the tilt head permanently resides in the leather case which came with the Arca Cube - making the case only nearly useless ! -:) Meanwhile the Cube uses the RRS cover for their large ball head which resides on my gitzo pod...

make sure to get the carry case to go with the Reis if you buy.

stephengilbert

To an American, "pie" usually means something with fruit ("as American as apple pie"). To Brits and Aussies, I suspect, it means what we'd call a "meat pie." At least that's what Pete's pie looks like. Sometimes the edges get too crispy, but that's better than a soggy center. :)

PeterA

Stephen is quite correct - this is a Meat Pie. Ingredients are: Beef chopped into chunks, and then add whatever you like - mushrooms diced bacon, onion, garlic, pepper salt Worcestershire sauce, stock, and slow cook for a few hours until meat is stringy and you have a thick sauce. The trick is in the pastry...

Next time I am upping the ante - and am going to make mushy peas and mash to go on top. Mushy peas takes a day to prepare properly. All good winter time eating!

It is a bright sunny day here today - mid winter in Melbourne - a brisk 8 degrees Centigrade. I am cooking dinner tonight - two roast chickens and Pete's special roasted vegetables..then a family game of poker - ten dollar buy in - big time gamblers. -:)

K

Ken Tanaka

Slightly OT but I have been contemplating a new tripod and just look at the Berlebach site. There appears to be a plethora of models but not a vast amount of information. I currently use a Gitzo 1325 with Cube.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?
Hello Jeff,
Wooden tripods can be wonderful, and actually not appreciably heavier than contemporary tripods with similar load capacities. And, yes, several years ago the Leica mag LFI actually did do scientific testing which concluded that wood legs did dampen vibration better than carbon fiber.

Frankly, for a dslr and for traveling I stick with more conventional legs. Also, wooden legs exceed the PGR (Pain-Gain Ratio) of 2 for air travel.

But for larger cameras locally I like to use my Berlebach Report. Leg operation is very easy (easier than even modern twist-locks), center column has ball level, the ash wood is light, very durable, and always warm. It's just a joy to use as long as you don't need a boom.

Jeffg53

Thanks Ken. I would be using a Hasselblad H4D so the 9043 looks like it would do the job well. I would keep the Gitzo for travel. What does make me wonder though is why the Berlebach tripods are much cheaper than an equivalent Ries. Is it like comparing Gitzo to Manfrotto?

JanRSmit

Jeff,

If vibration damping is a very important aspect, then a berlebach without a center column is best. This is true for any tripod with a center column.
I do not know about the Ries, but there are more tests that show that a berlebach has excellent damping, and appears for that reason quite a favorite for bird-watchers.
I use a 3032, and love the leveling ball, and as long as i do not have to put my dslr in a portrait position, i mount my camera directly on the leveling ball. Works fine for me.
For the moment i am not using a quick release system, still looking for one that does not introduce vibration problems.

Jeffg53

Thanks Jan, I don't like columns much either. The 3032 is appealing but 56" seems short to me. I am surprised by how short these tripods are. When I get a minute, I will trawl through the site and see if I can find one that is taller.