The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

The HCAM B1, the worktool for the future!

H3dtogo

The HCAM B1, also known as the Hartblei camera is for me the camera that changed almost everything, and all in the better way.
But first some short history.... In the late nineties when MFDB was the only proper way to shoot digital on a professional level, there was not that much to chose between when one not only wanted to use the very restricted amount of MF lenses but also wanted to use all sorts of great 35mm gear. There was the KG ThrueWide and the Digiflex1 and 2. All accepting Hasselblad-V digital backs and Nikon lenses ( or all Nikon mount lenses ). From that time on I started using them to achieve a particular style, look in my images. Although they were both +/- 34/36 to 36/36 mm size mounts, they where and still are wonderfull pices of equipment for those wanting to achieve a different look in studio and fine art photography. I still have two Digiflex2 bodies of wich one is hardly used and put up for sale( without succes ;-)) ). But that was then and then there was the HCAM B1!!!
I have used every camera ever produced, i have had a Rollei SL66 converted to accept Hasselblad CF backs, I have a Kiev88 digital, all sorts of digital cameras, self made contraptions and combinations of bits and pieces available on the marked..... Then, a few days ago the B1 arrived at my studio. I already had been testing pre-production samples thanks to the always helpfull and most knowledgable person I know in the Bavarian highlands: Stefan Steib. After shooting some architecture and industrial stuff back then in spring of this year, I immideately ordered my copy of the B1.
Now, what is so very special about that camera body you may ask... and the short answer is: almost everything. It is a hand made, relatively heavy but also completely vibration free rock of camera technology unseen and un-precedented. The camera sports a 35mm lens mount (canon as it is the widest in my case) and a digital back mount for any back from Phase, leaf or Hasselblad at your choice. Mine has Hassie-H so I can use all my Ixpress, Phase and H3d backs on it. Power is supplied by the well known Sony Info Lithium-L series batteries( or clones). There are three control panels on the camera, one on the lefthand side for the on off button, sliding back, display illumination and opening the shutter (this one is without display, just buttons). A second one on top of the camera controls the apperture and setings of the Canon TSE lenses. The third and largest control display allows special camera functions and speed settings ( up to 1/4000 of a second, thruly amazing when using high speed lenses such as varius 1,4 tele lenses... but more on that later.
Here are to conclude part one some images of the HB1.
:salute:

Last edited:

H3dtogo

In the second part I will show you my first test shots from yesterday and this morning:
The building was shot using the 24mm TSE-II from canon at almost full shift, that is just on the last big marking line one the scale ( there are two mm more available but I did not go that far). Images were shot at F11 ( first was a HDR of three images as can be seen in the crop) This one might also be shifted all the way.

H3dtogo

In studio I tried my very old Nikon 85mm 1,4 Ai, wich has dropped to the concrete floor many times( not accepting filters or shades anymore at 2,0 and one of my favorit lenses, the russian 85mm 1,5 fully opened and stopped down 1,5 stops ( see the spinning background) :lecture:

vieri

Looks cool! I checked on the Hartblei website and couldn't find any info on it - could you please point to any webpage with specs, pricing, etc etc? That would be most appreciated and really helpful: it looks like a great tool indeed :D

Thanks in advance!

H3dtogo

http://www.hartblei.de/en/index.htm
This is the hartblei website. I have the latest version, with aperture control for Canon lenses. Just look at the corner details. maybe I even have not got a very good copy of the 24mm. I also have done some 17mm shooting but these results are for tomorrow...

H3dtogo

Now we can use those great old lenses again, shoot 1,4 in studio, have a decent ultra wide by using the remarcable canon 17 and 24mm lenses, use whatever focusses on the extreme bright and easy to focus focussing screen. I know i have many special lenses, all delivering spectacular results on the Horseman Digiflex2 and now even better on the Hartbleicam HCAM B1.

vieri

http://www.hartblei.de/en/index.htm
This is the hartblei website. I have the latest version, with aperture control for Canon lenses. Just look at the corner details. maybe I even have not got a very good copy of the 24mm. I also have done some 17mm shooting but these results are for tomorrow...
Thanks! I don't know why, but I got on a completely different site - without any sensible info about anything... :) Will look into it then, thanks!

H3dtogo

In Belgium we have Pro Spirit as official dealer. Camera costs about 5K euro, a bargain for such a device. The LuLu review was about the Pre-apperture control camera, my findings are about the curent available camera. I will be testing other lenses in the next weeks, have the 30mm Zodiak fish eye already prepared for testing, also some Russian Hartblei lenses will be tested and hopefully I will also get hands on the real new Hartblei Super Rotators with Zeiss glass.

H3dtogo

The thing I really get exited about is that this camera, in oposite to just another digital back, wich only gaines a very little bit of high iso and pixels, opens a total new approach to digital photography. Many photographers still are in the stadium they think that only the newest digital H4d-40Mp or Phase DF-60Mp will offer the right oppertunities but let me tell you: no client will see the difference between a proback and a H4d-60Mp when printed. For what concerns images shot with exotic lenses such as Zeiss biotar on a HcamB1 or a super rotator, a 17mm on a 22Mp back: THAT ARE THE VISIBLE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN YOU AS A PHOTOGRAPHER AND THE NEXT EXPENSIVE GIZMO BUYER. ( sorry for shouting but during my workshops, students also tend to underestimate the creative aspect en emphasize the trend-spend-a-lot-of-cash-camera-buy-nonsense. I have never seen a colleage earning more money after upgrading to the next megapixel monster, but have seen many doing so by entering the creative highway.

H3dtogo

According to the replies in this thread there is very little interest in having MF camera that can shoot a 17mm or 24mm shift or tilted, that can use F1,2 lenses, 600mm telephoto lenses, Imagon, Biotar, leica, and so much more. :-((

vieri

According to the replies in this thread there is very little interest in having MF camera that can shoot a 17mm or 24mm shift or tilted, that can use F1,2 lenses, 600mm telephoto lenses, Imagon, Biotar, leica, and so much more. :-((
Well, IMHO, though I understand your excitement and while this is probably a very good camera in its own, in reality I can see a few reasons why people might not be as excited as you expected them to be:
- you posted your thread 5 hours ago, not such a long time even for those excited to express their excitement :rolleyes:
- the camera itself, though interesting:
-- is very limited in application;
-- doesn't offer much more to people who already use a technical camera (which is the user base the Hartblei targets); in particular:
--- offers much less lens/camera movements for those who need them;
--- is basically a multi-mount 35 mm lens camera (with a limited park of usable 35 mm lenses at that) with a larger sensor on its back;
so:
- for technical users, is way undeveloped as far as movements; doesn't let you (yet?) use the fantastic Rodenstock & Schneider glass;
- for 35 mm users, say a Canon user: compared to using a Canon you lose AF, metering, automations of all sorts, portability, lens range, in order to gain a few Mp;

This are the reasons that pops to my mind why people might not be that excited about it... Myself, I find it a very interesting experiment and will look into it some more, but I don't see it yet replacing my Phase kit nor my Silvestri kit nor my D3 nor my Leica film kit - all are great for their different uses, and this Hartblei for the moment being doesn't seem ready to replace any of the above systems in my bag. Will keep watching though, where there is innovation there is always something interesting to see and look for :D

Just my .02...

V

Vivek

--- is basically a multi-mount 35 mm lens camera (with a limited park of usable 35 mm lenses at that) with a larger sensor on its back;
so:
Yup. Thanks for that, Vieri.

I was getting confused.

H3dtogo

But that is indeed just the great thing about it: lots of DSLR lenses from Canon, Zeiss, Nikon, Leica, Hasselblad, Mamiya, etc do simply fit the camera. No way to use a 75mm Biotar on a MF back, no way to get an 17mm Wideangle on a full frame sensor, nor a 24mm fully shifted, nor a 85mm 1,4 Nikon or Zeiss. It is a Vibration free system, speeds up to 1/4000 sec, multishot capability, custum made...... no other camera offers such thing.
Applications are much more than any other MF set, as no other does have a 17/24/35/40/80/85/120mm tilt shift lens assortment.
No other camera takes all MF glas, or in general all glas ever produced.
No Silvestry, Sinar or other TC is built to such tight limits ( the electric sliding back assures that every time you focus and gently press the button, the sensor is at the exact same place.
I admit, my Sinar P2 and Linhoff 679cc do offer much more movements but at an other working pace, ergonomics, limitaions of all kinds etc. (thats why i am selling my 679cc, I don't get to use it enough to justifie its presence in the studio).
I have never seen a camera with such unlimited possibilities as this one before.
But I think the only way is to test drive it yourself. ;-))

H

HarrisGraeberII

Dear H3dtogo,
5 hours ago you posted the first in this thread. 2 hours ago I found it. Now, I've had my eyes opened to more possibilities than moving back to 4x6 film, which I have been considering. H's and P's I have seen, but nothing like the Hartblei. I have thoroughly enjoyed the last 2 hours of investigation; Thank You!

Paratom

I think its an interesting camera and you get 17mm which you dont get with other MF tech cameras.
The price seems ok too.

Regarding shooting all kind of 35mm-lenses on it (like a 85/1.4 Nikon) do you see many applications for that? And how many would have an image circle large enough?

I am impressed that those 35mm T/S lenses seem to do a good job even compared to the more expensive Schneider and Rodenstocks. At least I read this somewhere else I think.

H3dtogo

Almost all telepphoto lenses do have extreme large IC, some zoomlenses aswell ( such as the Contax 75/300 and many others. The ease of use, the enormous amount of lenses available for use on it and the many unexpected creative possibilities are to me a big plus compared to many other offerings on the marked.