Site Sponsors

Thread: First week experience on P65+/645DF

Post Thanks / Like

First week experience on P65+/645DF

Hi all,
    After endless hesitation I finally brought the phase one P65+, together with the 55LS, 110LS and 35mm. The 55LS haven't arrived yet so my thoughts are based on using mainly the 110LS.

Focusing: center spot focus is much faster and easier to use than normal mode. Manual focusing with beep indication also works perfect.

Metering: acceptable, but with a handheld meter provides better result for the image.

Control: still not used to it, while the m-up with self-timer works great. Definitely more convenient than the 503CW/P65+ combination.

Battery: the back is enduring, but 645DF drains batteries very quickly.

Handling: wish to have a larger grip, but since it's usually on the tripod not really an issue.
    Cannot fit in most of my bags so I got a Kata 222 which worked fairly well.

Lenses: the 110LS works fine with a moderate focus speed. the 35mm I got has sharp center wide open, and f11/f16 provides good results.

Troubles: I also bought a new Mamiya APO 200 yesterday, and it's even better than 110LS. However, After several shots the shutter cannot be triggered anymore. Attach the 110 instead and shutter(focal plane and lens) works fine, but when I put the 200 again the camera struck after a short while. Also the metering went down about 6-8EV. Very strange and looking for advises.

And my current tripod (gt2541+gh2780) looks a bit unstable under 1/15s. considering an arca c1 plus gitzo 5561 for stitching panoramas, however a new arca here costs a whooping $2650, so is it good to buy from b&h?

Brief conclusion right now: Very pricey move regards of accessories upgrade, but the quality is also invaluable.

And I would like to share two shots with you, one stitched panorama and one shot on tripod . I'm so glad to join this forum!

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: First week experience on P65+/645DF

The 200 apo goes into spot mode on the metering. I have one also and it is very sharp. I would get at least a 3 series tripod and the 2780 is really not strong enough . I had the GH 3780 and that worked very well.

Battery there is a Custom Function that you can set to alkaline or nic-cads . I believe it is function 7 . Also on the DF and I have done this it is stiff to move the switch into the modes , make sure you rotate all the way until you click to off.

Metering well honestly you have so much latitude you could almost do anything and save the day. LOL But your right a hand held meter works on light that is falling on subject much more accurate than any in camera meter since it is reading reflected light which is not as accurate. Pretty normal with any cam , sometimes it will misread.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that's insane detail isn't it! How many images did you stitch to make this one?

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks a lot Guy, checked the CF7 and got packs of new color eneloop batteries, now everything goes well and the 200 APO works fine too. The tripod was really horrifying when I worked on the edge of the rooftop.

to tjv: 7 images stitched to a 60000*8200 image, my mac mini definitely hates me.

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great as far as computers your in big trouble. Sorry
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Post Thanks / Like

You did that on a mini mac? I bet processing took hours! I regularly deal with 1.4gig drum scans on my 2.4ghz / 1gb RAM Macbook Pro and doing anything with those files is a real test of patience.