The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

lenses for alpa TC

gogopix

Subscriber
The 35mm is fine as wide, but I am wondering what the longest lens would be, using the guestimate system of focus with a 'Travelling TC"

The SK are quite accurate, and a laser rangefinder can get to within a foot usually. But what you really need is plus or minus a yard. say shooting at f8-11 for people and objects (monuments etc.
Landscape is POC, but in town? I wonder how practical

also, rather than laser ranger, seems a simple rangefinder would suffice.

Victor

PeterA

I think the 47mm lens - would see the end of 'guesstimate' and hyper-focal usability. Unless you want to shoot tethered or employ the use of a ground glass focussing routine..( not for me in this format)

Cheers
Pete

gogopix

Subscriber
I think the 47mm lens - would see the end of 'guesstimate' and hyper-focal usability. Unless you want to shoot tethered or employ the use of a ground glass focussing routine..( not for me in this format)

Cheers
Pete
LOL
I'm trying to think how tethered would work trekking.

couild always get something like the one man band guys use for a harmonica, and put it around my neck and hang a small notebook from it, maybe work the keys with my nose?

anyway, that's what I thought. Still a prettyy big FOV but maybe ok for closer subjects.

do you have any longer lenses for your alpa?

regards
Victor

PeterA

LOL
I'm trying to think how tethered would work trekking.

couild always get something like the one man band guys use for a harmonica, and put it around my neck and hang a small notebook from it, maybe work the keys with my nose?

anyway, that's what I thought. Still a pretty big FOV but maybe ok for closer subjects.

do you have any longer lenses for your alpa?

regards
Victor
Vic,

some guys lug a laptop and all teh paraphernalia required to use a scanning back to make really large panoramas - t is horses for courses I guess - as I said not realy something I am into at this stage of my life.

re longer lenses for Alpa - there is nothing to stop people using the Schneider or Rodenstock lenses in studio shooting tethered - really teh high resolution backs these dys demand outstanding optics ..so I haev seen a lot of work done in studio tethered..and so longer lenses can be used..

however ..( for me) it is a two lens system..24 and 35 ( the 28 Rodenstock wasn't available when I bought these -
i think the 28 Rodenstock may be the pick of the lenses..if you just want ONE lens.

as for longer focal lengths - including 47mm..I really have no interest..other optics straight on MF camera will do a better job..

not to forget Victor with your big boy back - you can pretty much crop a 'different ' longer perspective quite well.

cmb_

Subscriber & Workshop Member
On the Alpa website they say 24mm to 75mm, max 80mm for the TC. How practical that would be is a good question, perhaps it is just marketing.

Sorry to butt in here because I really do not know anything about the system but I have been looking at it for some time, thinking about one for the future but the hole in my head needs to get a bit bigger first.

gogopix

Subscriber
well i have the 35mm and was considering the 24
the 28 rodens. seems interesting, but I havent seen any review

PeterA

CMB - when you shoot with one of these - you just laugh at the other stuff in your kit...
Victor - I think you are way too anal -itical about this stuff man - go with your bones - spend the cash - keep your broken economy going - someone has to..:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

yes Petey is HAPPY today short into this mkt this morning and making money as others BLEED - the BEST feeling for a trader..:clap::grin::toocool:

T

thsinar

... and the Sinar Hy6 does automatic "Focus Bracketing" of 3 to 5 images, displacing the focus between each shot and making sure that there is no gap out-of-focus between, which makes it an easy game to assemble in e.g. "HeliconFocus".

Thierry

"HeliconFocus is a program that creates one completely focused image from several partially focused images by combining the focused areas."

BJNY

... and the Sinar Hy6 does automatic "Focus Bracketing" of 3 to 5 images, displacing the focus between each shot and making sure that there is no gap out-of-focus between, which makes it an easy game to assemble in e.g. "HeliconFocus".

Thierry
Thierry,
Would you explain the entire process, please?
for a landscape and for a still life
Billy

Graham Mitchell

I think you should look at Helicon Focus.

"HeliconFocus is a program that creates one completely focused image from several partially focused images by combining the focused areas."

http://www.heliconsoft.com/heliconfocus.html
I reviewed this about 2 years ago and it just wasn't ready, imo. The process introduced very noticeable blurring/degradation so overall image quality suffered. Perhaps a newer version is out now which remedies this? Anyway the stitching worked quite well if you had enough overlap between images.

Image taken at f16:

Processed image:

gogopix

Subscriber
Graham,
im confused; processed looks sharper. was that taken at say, 5.6?

the images are different, unles Helicalfocus somehow has some spare PEOPLE in the software!

did you reverse lables??

Victor

gogopix

Subscriber
CMB - when you shoot with one of these - you just laugh at the other stuff in your kit...
Victor - I think you are way too anal -itical about this stuff man - go with your bones - spend the cash - keep your broken economy going - someone has to..:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

yes Petey is HAPPY today short into this mkt this morning and making money as others BLEED - the BEST feeling for a trader..:clap::grin::toocool:
well, aq LITTLE analysis goes a long way. since I will need to march 10-12 miles with this stuff, I aint interested in dead weight.

however, I need to break out a head to head of the 35mm contax and the 35mm Digitar.

no contest though, I think

whatever happened? dont people understand the benefit of non retro focus, symetrical, gaussian lenses?

all those groups and glass move dem light rays around summit terrible!

Graham Mitchell

Graham,
im confused; processed looks sharper. was that taken at say, 5.6?
The first shot is a single shot at f16. The second shot is the composite of a lot of images, using the software.

Anything looks sharp at web size but when viewed 100% there was serious image degradation. Imagine scaling a 6MP image up to 22MP using the worst possible scaling algorithm and you get an idea of how this looked.

As I said, this was when I reviewed the software (PC version) two years ago. I just upgraded to the latest Mac version and will test it to see if it is any better.

gogopix

Subscriber
Gotcha

but at f/16 has a lot of DOF to 'find' good stuff
real test would be to combine focus bracketed 5.6 or 4 however, the DOF needs to overlap I guess. must be something like stitching where it find focus 'edges' that register and then combines (or even just looks for the frame that has highest frequency spacial component.

seems like a lot of effort for marginal results. better to have the speed (ISO)

waynelake

Someones got a sense of humor, :D "are you an Alpa male or not?". Quoted on horseman thread.

Well, you got me curious and searching around for this Alpa camera. All a bit new to me. Found the home site and some maybe aware of this 2nd site. Could not find any lenses higher focal length than 70mm or telephoto anywhere. http://www.dtgweb.com/shop/home.php?cat=1570

Anyway, main reason for posting was this 28mm Rodenstock must be about the best looking lense I've ever seen ever. This second link seems to be same lense as in above link, but less money, and ?no lens mount/or different?
http://www.dtgweb.com/shop/product.php?productid=28492&cat=1475&page=1

T

thsinar

Dear Wayne,

it is the same lens, in both links you have provided, one with the mount for the Alpa and the other w/o any mount, simply the "nude" lens.

It is a FANTASTIC lens, HR formula (High-Resolution) developed for digital. I have it with me and use it on my Sinar p3. The shift possibilities given are rather on the conservative side: you can easily shift a couple of mm more without noticing any quality decrease. Moreover, this lens has the huge advantage over other lenses that it is sharp right from the beginning and at full open aperture. I know many having bought it only for this possibility.

Best regards,
Thierry

Anyway, main reason for posting was this 28mm Rodenstock must be about the best looking lense I've ever seen ever. This second link seems to be same lense as in above link, but less money, and ?no lens mount/or different?
http://www.dtgweb.com/shop/product.php?productid=28492&cat=1475&page=1

PeterA

Wayne google Alpa Cameras and you get this link

http://www.alpa.ch/index.php

Now ..enjoy ! Warning it is addictive gear if you are into this kind of minimalist set-up..

btw - Victor is allowed to joke around - cos he cops plenty himself..:thumbs:

I am getting ready for the MAX version to be released for sale in June..to add to my 12WA body.

All you need is one lens really and that would be a toss up between the Rodenstock 28 or the Schneider 35 - both digi specked lenses. I went Schneider 35 because I also have the Schneider 24.

You can shoot these babies hand held at insanely low shutter speeds. With a digi back on board..it really doesn't get better than this.

Check it out.

Cheers
Pete