The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Just received by 645D

Ed Hurst

Hello all,

To those of you who have been awaiting my update on the new Pentax 645D, I received mine today (after long delays in Australian Customs). The battery is currently on charge and I have a very busy week at work, so I won't be able to do much to test it for a bit. But when I do, be awaiting some test shots.

Oh, and I have that 'little boy on Christmas morning' feeling. Men never really grow up, do they?

Ed

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Congrats Ed! Please do get some photos up ASAP for us to enjoy!

arashm

OOOOOH ya
it's like christmas on July 12th :)
congrats
please let us know what you think as you start exploring the new camera.
am

Aaron

Ed,
This is way more important than work :D This is you chance to cost a lot of gear junkies a lot of money. :ROTFL:

We need to see the first decent hands on review of this camera!

Ed Hurst

Hello all,

I note the sentiment about it being more important than work - sadly there are others who beg to differ!

I really haven't been able to do anything with the camera other than fire off a few shots in my hotel room, but as soon as I have anything worth showing, I certainly will post it.

Guy - I am very keen to do a proper, controlled test - so any advice and support you can give on this would be much appreciated.

Just one cool thing I have discovered... I am using this camera mostly with my P67 lenses (via Pentax's own 67-645 adaptor), though I have also bought the new 55mm lens released with the 645D. When using 67 lenses, you have focus confirmation operating in conjunction with the manual focus lenses. One thing I hadn't expected was how slickly this works - if you half press the shutter button, release it, then start focusing the lens, it confirms focus when you reach it. In other words, you only have to depress the button briefly and it remembers that you're trying to focus. Sounds like a small thing, but it makes the process of manually focusing with these lenses super easy.

More to come when I have it!

Ed

Jeffg53

Focus confirmation worked that way on the P645 with manual lenses. It's only the likes of Canon and Nikon who won't tell you whether you are in focus or not unless you are using their lense.

I had a Hasselblad to P645 adapter which worked like that as well as manual Pentax lenses.

bensonga

Just one cool thing I have discovered... I am using this camera mostly with my P67 lenses (via Pentax's own 67-645 adaptor), though I have also bought the new 55mm lens released with the 645D. When using 67 lenses, you have focus confirmation operating in conjunction with the manual focus lenses. One thing I hadn't expected was how slickly this works - if you half press the shutter button, release it, then start focusing the lens, it confirms focus when you reach it. In other words, you only have to depress the button briefly and it remembers that you're trying to focus. Sounds like a small thing, but it makes the process of manually focusing with these lenses super easy.
More to come when I have it!
Ed
I was impressed with that on my P645 too. Works really great when using the P67 manual focus lenses on the P645, so I'm glad to see they've included this feature on the 645D.

Gary

Ed Hurst

Just on the point about showing all of you guys 645D DNG files, I am sort of torn. Given the discussions on other thread here about the desirability of an integrated hardware-software solution to extract the best final image quality from a camera system, I am currently shooting mostly PEFs (i.e. Pentax's own raw format) because these can be processed using Pentax's own raw converter software. I expect (or hope) that these will have the edge over the DNG approach since Pentax should know their files best. However, these PEF files will be pretty much unusable (for now) to anyone without access to Pentax's software, making it impossible for most of you to evaluate these files for yourselves. Maybe I will take both formats together (which the camera permits with its dual card slots); actually that's a good idea anyway because it will help with establishing how much the Pentax 'secret sauce' in the software helps compared to a generic DNG approach.

Jeffg53

Phocus will open anything that Aperture can show. It uses supplied Mac OS X software only. Hasselblad were very clever in capitalising on what Apple provides instead of building their own.

Phocus will open anything that Aperture can show. It uses supplied Mac OS X software only. Hasselblad were very clever in capitalising on what Apple provides instead of building their own.
Ah okey. I think I've read on the PentaxForum, that Aperture 3.0 couldn't a PEF(form the 645D) file yet.

kuau

Workshop Member
What interests me most about the 645d is it's bullet proof build with weather sealing. I wish I had the $$$ for one this winter since I am now living in Park City Utah, Don't think I will be taking my H3d39 out in the snow anytime soon....