The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

What did you pay for your back???

H3dtogo

I am prospecting the possibilities for another back on my Hartbleicam, one that can have a battery attached. Therfore i want to trade in my Hasselblad (Imacon) 384 for a back that has 39Mp or more. Are there people that have done this recently and do want to share it with me ;-)) At this moment all backs are possible, Phase, hasselblad CF or Leaf aptus with Hasselblad H mount. Please let me know what is possible. (even interested in a good priced Aptus22 in H mount)

f8orbust

This is a bit like asking someone how much they get paid - they'd rather eat their own foot than tell you for some strange reason.

Anyway, as far as pre-owned MFDBs go, if you look at finished auctions on eBay (not as easy as it once was due to the limited time they now display past auctions for) you'll see 39MP P45+s going for anything from $11.5k - $12.5k (US) depending on fitting, condition and warranty. P45s seem to go privately for under $9k, from dealers for around $11k. That said, Calumet in the UK sold a couple for around the $6k mark recently. I've not seen any P40+s (40MP) advertised privately on their own, but a dealer offered me one for $15k+tax. Hasselblad's CFV39 is a bit of a bargain when it appears used - you can usually find one for under $9k. Other Hasselblad 39MP backs usually pop up attached to an H3D for around $12k.

Dustbak

Same here, I am interested in trade-in deals for P65/P40 or Aptus8. I am still waiting to get a price quote for upgrading my CF39 to the H4D60 plus 35-90 but I am getting interested in other options too.

Professional

Didn't buy a digital back, but bought a Hasselblad H3DII-39 with a kit lens 80mm, all about $20700 new, i traded-in this for H4D-60[which i still waiting] for about 14000 euro.

Steve Hendrix

I am prospecting the possibilities for another back on my Hartbleicam, one that can have a battery attached. Therfore i want to trade in my Hasselblad (Imacon) 384 for a back that has 39Mp or more. Are there people that have done this recently and do want to share it with me ;-)) At this moment all backs are possible, Phase, hasselblad CF or Leaf aptus with Hasselblad H mount. Please let me know what is possible. (even interested in a good priced Aptus22 in H mount)

There's currently so many different promotional options with the 3 brands we sell and support (Phase One, Leaf, Mamiya) that I don't know that trading your 384 will necessarily be the best way forward. It depends....on a lot of different criteria and some input from you will go a long way towards clarifying the best deal for you.

But as far as trade-ins for Phase One, the current trade-in values for your 16MP Imacon 384 towards 39MP or higher are:

*P40+ - $4,000
*P45+ - $5,000
*P65+ - $7,000

Now - these are only the trade-in values that Phase One officially offers...what Capture Integration would do for instance on a bottom line price will depend on many factors. Because of our volume in medium format digital backs, we are extremely active with regard to making deals, so sometimes we have some great deals, and we can almost always find a way to make something happen for you.

There are many, many variables. Trading in a 384 towards a P65+ and getting $7,000 credit might seem like a possible route for someone interested in a P65+ and who had the budget. But it depends. Example - right now anyone buying a P65+ receives a free Phase One DF body, Schneider 80mm/2.8 LS Lens, and choice of any other 2 Phase One lenses. But this cannot be combined with other offers. So, if someone also was keen on the Phase One DF camera platform, it wouldn't make sense to trade the 384 since the value of the free P1 DF camera/lenses could potentially reach nearly $16,000. So, in that scenario, it would make more sense to find a buyer for the 384 (and you might net $3K - $4) and take the deal with the free camera/lenses.

So, every situation can be quite different and can require some careful consideration of your options, which aren't always obvious.

Steve Hendrix

David K

Workshop Member
You will transfer valuable margin to the trader. Sell your gear on eBay instead.
I'm not so sure that's really the case... these trade-in deals can be very compelling. What's never made sense to me is why you can't buy these backs for a whole lot less than they seem to be going for as a cash purchaser. I had a similar experience recently when buying a car. The dealer simply would not give me the cash price I wanted (and, believe me, I've had a fair amount of experience doing this and I really tried) but they did give me a significantly higher trade-in value than my used car was worth (actually, more than double what it was worth). It's a business model that I just don't quite get...

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
You will transfer valuable margin to the trader. Sell your gear on eBay instead.
The end user purchases a digital back from a dealer, and often the manufacturer provides a strong trade-in program or promotion to the dealer for the purpose of brand promotion, buying market-share, inventory reduction, or as a cheap word-of-mouth marketing technique. It also has a moderate upward impact on the market price of older backs which the manufacturer will benefit from as the price gap to newer models is (slightly) artificially decreased.

I agree from the outside it does not make immediate intuitive sense, and it is not always the case (sometimes a private eBay sale will be significantly better), but you'd be surprised I think how often the extra value you can get via trade-in without any of the hassle/risk of privately listing/selling your gear.

Trust me when I say that there are dozens of strategies that can be pursued by a trusted dealer to try to get you the gear you need at the best price. This, in fact, is why I don't do sales! I don't mind the intricacies and complexity of even the most complicated and obscure photographic equipment, but trying to keep up with each week's promotions from a dozen manufacturers, exchange rates, internal used/demo/trade-in inventory, etc etc does not appeal to me! Thank goodness we have guys like Steve/Dave/Chris who love that stuff.

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I got far more upgrading my system than I could of got on the open market by a long shot. If your switching systems it can hurt since you can't always upgrade across systems. But I see some of that is possible with Phase taking Hassy gear on a switch to Phase system. Trust me that is something special because selling your existing system and switching systems can get real costly, especially on the buy side. Best idea folks is watch those upgrade paths from the OEM's than call your friendly dealer and see what you can do with your situation. My P40+ upgrade turned out to be a no brainer with the upgrade path. Turned out to be a good upgrade as far as technology and worth the money.

Also for me the bottom line I would not buy ANYTHING on e-bay when it comes to MF. Buy from a friend or member would be my only choice outside a dealer but my first choice would be a dealer with the support. Right now my back has a sticky battery slot and needs to go to Denmark and I got full support from my dealer. As a working Pro you just can't beat that support behind you.

H3dtogo

Maybe i have to sell some other MF stuff here on site, altouhg i am in Europe and that seems a problem to most US citizens. I simply have to much gear, way to much gear to be ever usefull to me as i cannot carry it anymore :mad::deadhorse:
Yes, i admit to be a Gear Slut and yes, admitting is should be the first step to getting healed from this horrible disease :eek: :angel:

evgeny

I'm not in the USA.

EBay generated me hundreds international sales since 2007, 90% to the USA, less to Europe and few to local buyers. Check the value of your gear on eBay, make money, buy next gear, has less stress on your bank account.

Like others said, buyer need be careful buying expensive gear from eBay. I'm a happy eBay buyer, too, but also spent $$$ in acquiring very valuable MF digital gear from local dealer and a few trusted getDPI and LL members. However this is quite opposite transaction.:salute:

H3dtogo

I hate Ebay, always had bad luck. I bought from Lula and here, never got disapointed:thumbup: Maybe i have those things for sale nobody loves but me:mad:
But i will keep on hoping someday someone wants to buy all of my great stuff so i can buy other great stuff:bugeyes::banghead:

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Ebay is fine but over 1 or 2 k just makes me really nervous. Also members here are only going to put there good stuff here to sell but anything less they sell on eBay.

Giorgio

I hate Ebay, always had bad luck. I bought from Lula and here, never got disapointed:thumbup: Maybe i have those things for sale nobody loves but me:mad:
But i will keep on hoping someday someone wants to buy all of my great stuff so i can buy other great stuff:bugeyes::banghead:

Try FredMiranda if you want to sell photo gear and get a lot of people to notice your sale.