The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Equal Time - Leaf Aptus 75S

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Great shot of the bridge Jim! One of these days I am going to have to head out with my little Plaubel and see what kind of landscapes I can find myself...

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Something to be said for us mixing the cultures, and making friends with our brothers to the South...... :ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Hey Jim, you think they are getting the point yet that the Leaf Aptus 75S simply ROCKS? :wtf::ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

JimCollum

yup! love the back.

i've put up my quota for the evening..

doug.. you out there.. i've only seen one from you in this thread :D

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
And one last one for this series... then I am off to :sleep006::sleep006:
Doug, your turn buddy, show 'em what we got!

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Dear Chuch
The 'finish' on the files is very film-like (and looks like what a foveon sensor puts out in raw!)

It does work nicely here; saturated, bolder color, and not overly sharp. I have seen Mark's Aptus images; similar.

I assume the settings for Aptus and Phase account for some of the different, but looks like other 'post' going on here.

The fact is, with a bayer sensor about the only thing that CAN differ is the way raw is converted [except for resolution, that mostly affects edge sharpness.]

The leaf seems to have the larger screen out there for LV (does it?) and might make workingt with something like the Alpa work well.

BTW, the Aptus is alway 'on' so there is no 'wake up' as there is with Phase and Sinar.

don't stop BTW, images are great!

regards
Victor

T

thsinar

Victor,

just a little correction:

There has never been, there is not (and there will not be) a "wake-up" with any Sinarback, not at all.

I am not sure where you have got this from, but it isn't true.

Best regards,
Thierry

BTW, the Aptus is alway 'on' so there is no 'wake up' as there is with Phase and Sinar.
Victor

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Theirry how do the Sinar backs work for power on. Is it a separate button. One issue I do NOT like on my ZD back is you hit any button on the back and it turns on, maybe great in the field but in the bag well it touches something and never goes off which leads to a dead battery when your ready to shoot. I take my battery out for overnight

T

thsinar

The Sinarback has either a "on/off" button to start it, like the eMotion backs (battery or tethered) or then are powered by the Mac through the FW connection (Sinarback 54 H, Sinarback eVolution 75 H).

To power on the eMotion it needs to press the "on/off" button for about 1 second, and there is no risk this happening in a bag (at least it never happened to me). Further, I would suggest to ALWAYS take out the battery, when traveling: this makes last the battery much longer. I have noticed this with all my cameras (also my little Lumix): when taking out the camera, it does almost not loose its charge, when in it is empty after a few days.

Then, the eMotion backs have in addition a kind of sleep mode (which can be set at different times), but do not need to be waken up, this is instantly done when releasing or when touching any button on the eMotion.

Best regards,
Thierry

Theirry how do the Sinar backs work for power on. Is it a separate button. One issue I do NOT like on my ZD back is you hit any button on the back and it turns on, maybe great in the field but in the bag well it touches something and never goes off which leads to a dead battery when your ready to shoot. I take my battery out for overnight

Last edited:

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Stunning imagery guys! Thanks for posting these. It re-affirms that the Aptus 75S is the back I want.

gogopix

Subscriber
Victor,

just a little correction:

There has never been, there is not (and there will not be) a "wake-up" with any Sinarback, not at all.

I am not sure where you have got this from, but it isn't true.

Best regards,
Thierry
Likely my mistake. The Kapture Gp have a Sinar cable and I thouight need was similar to Phase.

BTW as I understand the Phase backs shut down to keep cool, not so much for power, and the wakeup is needed

The APtus I believe has a fan for cooling. Does the Sinar as well?

regards
Victor

lance_schad

Workshop Member
The PhaseOne back is built around a sleeping architecture.
Electronic type camera systems like the 645afd have an interface to wake the camera up seamlessly. Manual systems like the Hasselblad V-series the dark slide detector slide was used to wake the camera up while the shutter was being released.
Other manual systems such as a view camera where there are no mechanics or electronics require something to wake up the camera to expose the CCD. So the two shot method was developed, which can be as simple as releasing the shutter, then re-cocking and releasing within the 4 second time frame. There are a variety of other ways to perform this such as using a special cable that goes in line with the flash sync, that you depress the button and then it wakes the camera up and then depress the shutter. An example of this cable is http://www.captureintegration.com/wp-content/uploads/primary1.jpg
. Another popular way is using a cable by the Kapture Group, this essentially has a microswitch that is tripped while you press a shutter release cable . This will wake the camera up and trip the shutter the same time.
One last way is a little cable that Phase provides that is called their wakeup cable. This cable has a tiny switch that is incorporated on the plug that connects to the digital back from the lens sync. You simply hit that with your thumb and then depress the shutter.
Once you get the hang of this it becomes second nature.
By using the sleeping architecture it allows PhaseOne to build a back that can withstand extreme conditions as shown the some of the videos they produced like, freezing a back for 30 minutes, baking a back for 30 minutes and others. You can view them at : http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/durability-videos/

Hope this makes some things clearer of why you have to wake up the back.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
So Lance all I would do is hit the release and the back wakes up also. But to turn on you turn camera on than back . How long do you push button on back to power up.

Steve Hendrix

By using the sleeping architecture it allows PhaseOne to build a back that can withstand extreme conditions as shown the some of the videos they produced like, freezing a back for 30 minutes, baking a back for 30 minutes and others. You can view them at : http://www.captureintegration.com/phase-one/durability-videos/

Hope this makes some things clearer of why you have to wake up the back.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]
So, if you plan on freezing or baking your digital back, you might consider the Phase One products.

Otherwise, you can consider Leaf, Sinar or Hasselblad, none of which have to be woken up in case of freezing/baking. ;)

Steve Hendrix
www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php