The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Equal Time - Leaf Aptus 75S

fotografz

More you want Guy? Tell me when to stop :thumbs:

Very nice images Jim. This format really does suit your work well.
Don't stop. Post more. It's a treat to see real photography insted of test shots.

Man your B&W stuff has real character to it. Hard to believe it's digital at that low of an ISO.

fotografz

The writer/photographer Paul Stenquist, available light, Leaf Aptus 75 @ ISO 800 pushed 2 stops in PS.

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
Marc,
Yes it looks good, but
the perennial question
what exposure?
any NR?

Maybe what we are seeing is that all the backs (and they can't violate the laws of physics) can go 1600, 3200 or even 6400 under the right circumstances.
But lets see the color.
and a 100% crop
Victor

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Marc,
Yes it looks good, but
the perennial question
what exposure?
any NR?

Maybe what we are seeing is that all the backs (and they can't violate the laws of physics) can go 1600, 3200 or even 6400 under the right circumstances.
But lets see the color.
and a 100% crop
Victor
Victor, please don't take offense to this suggestion, as I am only trying to help you in your decision process. There is absolutely no way for any of us to post the exact test criteria you are looking for. The only way you can get that data is to shoot the actual tests you feel you need for yourself, or have someone do it for you, matching your decision criteria. Getting 100% crops on a web site is real nice to show work examples, but my friend it will do absolutely nothing for you in trying to conduct evaluation testing. Nothing. The web is just too restricted in resolution to be meaningful in displaying the actual image data completely. You need the files YOU shot, so that you know how you shot them, and why. You then look for the things you are interested in knowing, from those same test images. I wish there were an easier way, but there just isn't. The proof of the pudding is in getting your eyeball down deep and personal with it. Or you can hire someone to do this for you. But either way, it's really the only way you can ever choose the right product for you. Spending this much money, you certainly do want to make sure you're getting what you are paying for. :thumbs::thumbs:

PeterA

Typical marc - you focussed on teh camera in the shot above !:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

nice shot btw! maybe I will start posting some stuff since it seems ok to post some shots/captures...LOL

maybe threads shoudl be called non pixel peeping thread ..

Victor you are so funny about this stuff! :banghead::ROTFL:

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Typical marc - you focussed on teh camera in the shot above !:ROTFL::ROTFL::ROTFL:

nice shot btw! maybe I will start posting some stuff since it seems ok to post some shots/captures...LOL

maybe threads shoudl be called non pixel peeping thread ..

Victor you are so funny about this stuff! :banghead::ROTFL:
Peter, the pixel peeping part does play a role, but honestly I am also of the old school that says the only real way to evaluate a camera is to shoot the dang thing until you know it like the back of your hand, pointed at real subjects, and done in real working conditions. If I do that with all the options, then I can honestly say I found the right camera for my particular work. My "test" images are images done for real, not some dang chart full of lines that really doesn't tell me much. Or worse yet, of a brick wall or whatever ridiculous subject that is just about as exciting as watching grass grow. The real world, what you can capture in your own unique vision using a particular tool tells me far more about what I can expect owing the particular monster. Spending this much hard earned cash, I'm for one not betting a red cent on anything but my own very refined senses holding and using the real thing. Sounds like I am not alone in this either, from reading your posts and a couple of the others.

Chuck Jones

Subscriber Member
Don't stop. Post more. It's a treat to see real photography insted of test shots.

Man your B&W stuff has real character to it. Hard to believe it's digital at that low of an ISO.
There certainly is something strongly to be said about seeing real photography shot in real world conditions, as opposed to looking at a crap set of "sample" photographs. None of which are ever done very well, or so overworked with sharpening they just make you sick. It should be easy to get every camera system to make decent images under ideal conditions. Taking one to the field, in the real world, now that tells me a whole lot more. Looking at the work of a working professional that is shooting one of these systems can speak volumes about what a camera can, and can not do.

T

thsinar

Cuck,

you are absolutely right and my thoughts on this are 100% with you. My words when asked about samples are always "test it yourself, with real images in your real shooting conditions": that is this only relevant test which can give satisfaction.

Best regards,
Thierry

Peter, the pixel peeping part does play a role, but honestly I am also of the old school that says the only real way to evaluate a camera is to shoot the dang thing until you know it like the back of your hand, pointed at real subjects, and done in real working conditions. If I do that with all the options, then I can honestly say I found the right camera for my particular work. My "test" images are images done for real, not some dang chart full of lines that really doesn't tell me much. Or worse yet, of a brick wall or whatever ridiculous subject that is just about as exciting as watching grass grow. The real world, what you can capture in your own unique vision using a particular tool tells me far more about what I can expect owing the particular monster. Spending this much hard earned cash, I'm for one not betting a red cent on anything but my own very refined senses holding and using the real thing. Sounds like I am not alone in this either, from reading your posts and a couple of the others.

fotografz

Marc,
Yes it looks good, but
the perennial question
what exposure?
any NR?

But lets see the color.
and a 100% crop
Victor
Victor, this was grab shot on a RZ which is a sync cord set-up, so the only Exif Info captured was that it was shot @ ISO 800 using the Aptus back. I think it was with a 210 APO lens wide open, or stopped down just a bit. I deliberately underexposed due to the strong directional light from a window camera left and no bounce camera right (it was a spontanious grab shot just to show the subject, Paul, what a MF file looked like) ... then lifted it in Leaf Capture 11. No Noise reduction was applied other than the default settings in LC ... except I recall blurring the background a bit camera right-top to eliminate distractions.

Really, as I said on the other thread, you need to get your hands on the gear and try it. There is no substitute. Preferably a demo with someone who know the system and software inside and out so you can see what's possible. I did that with my H system, did it with the Mamiya and Aptus back, and recently did that with a Leaf AFi in-studio demo.

gogopix

Subscriber
Chuck,

No one who has been married for almost 40 years takes offence at ANY criticism! :D Your comments are spot on. Couldn't agree more.

Marc,

Of course, plan to handle. But I was surprised that more 'raw' files are not out there to view. Almost as if the back manufacturers were afraid.

I suppose it's just time, getting lazy. Could I rent for a week? sure. Do I have time to play for a week? no.

I did a lot of 'in silico' testing before I played with the various backs.

And anyway, it is all just part of the community here. People are fairly open! why not take advantage. It's why I don't mind sending out takes raw to people.

Now, I'm out of pocket for a while.

I hope I can see the Hy6 and H3D this weekend

regards
Victor

PeterA

Chuck -

I cant tell whether I will like using a camera 'system' until I have used it..these backs are all capable machines. I like the Hasselblad system - it was a difficult decision for me to give up my Leaf back and switch to Hasselblad - in the end I can assure you the decision was not based on looking at some raw files..

In the end it boils down to a complex amalgam largely subjective and biased towards the preferences of the photographer..hasselblad isnt perfect the system as a package just works for me. I will be buying a Phase One back soon and some Mamiya gear but really i just want a Phase back to use with my Alpa - because the Phase back has a battery inbuilt in the body and wont interrupt my use of tripod - like the Leaf back did with its battery positioning. Likewise the blad has its battery in the grip and I LOVE that. Also it is a rechargeable battery system - I hate buying batteries.

but I resisted blad till I had tested the Phocus software because i didnt like Flexcolour mainly because of its low res working files..now Phocus is here I love it..another plus
for blad.

Leaf was replaced for a more integrated system and because I was used to and liked the H system of lenses and access to V lenses etc.

yep like you Chuck - its gotta be real world testing for me and I take a long time doing it. Doesn't bother me as photography has become my favourite hobby - my golf handicap has blown out to 7 ! :):cry:

D

DougDolde

I took a drive up to the South Rim Sunday. There were still some nice clouds left from the storm but the canyon was full of haze. Never would have even taken the camera out had I been still using my 4x5. The Aptus 75S performed better than I expected, as usual. 3-4 pm light. I need to go lighter on the polarizer with this back or leave it off entirely.

First, 80mm, f/11

Second was a two frame stitch with the 45mm, f/8, 2 stop hard grad.

D

DougDolde

No regrets Jim. I am still getting a handle on using it well though. The hardest thing to get used to is just venturing to take the shot when I would have left the 4x5 in the bag.

D

DougDolde

OK one more, maybe my favorite from Sunday's shoot. 140mm + 1.4x Mutar