The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Equal Time - Leaf Aptus 75S

D

DougDolde

One from the Little Painted Desert north of Winslow today. 2 frame stitch Aptus 75S, 35mm lens. 5 exposures HDR and tonemapped with Photomatix. They don't call it the Painted Desert for nuthin. The sky is a little funny because I used a grad, probably not necessary with this technique.

100% crop

woodyspedden

Chuck -

I cant tell whether I will like using a camera 'system' until I have used it..these backs are all capable machines. I like the Hasselblad system - it was a difficult decision for me to give up my Leaf back and switch to Hasselblad - in the end I can assure you the decision was not based on looking at some raw files..

In the end it boils down to a complex amalgam largely subjective and biased towards the preferences of the photographer..hasselblad isnt perfect the system as a package just works for me. I will be buying a Phase One back soon and some Mamiya gear but really i just want a Phase back to use with my Alpa - because the Phase back has a battery inbuilt in the body and wont interrupt my use of tripod - like the Leaf back did with its battery positioning. Likewise the blad has its battery in the grip and I LOVE that. Also it is a rechargeable battery system - I hate buying batteries.

but I resisted blad till I had tested the Phocus software because i didnt like Flexcolour mainly because of its low res working files..now Phocus is here I love it..another plus
for blad.

Leaf was replaced for a more integrated system and because I was used to and liked the H system of lenses and access to V lenses etc.

yep like you Chuck - its gotta be real world testing for me and I take a long time doing it. Doesn't bother me as photography has become my favourite hobby - my golf handicap has blown out to 7 ! :):cry:
Hey Peter

Don't know if you are aware that the latest version of Aperture (2.1) handles the 3FR files from your Hassy. I have done some comparisons with Phocus and frankly I prefer the Aperture files as Aperture has all of the needed controls e.g. recovery, etc that allows much more flexibility. Color may be a bit more neutral in Phocus however but it is nice to have both as options.

Woody

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Doug: My .02 is to lose the grads and just do selective sky darkening (or shadow pumps) in post. IMO the hard lines on them are killing your otherwise excellent skies. But then I don't care for the tone-mapped look either, especially in the colored strata...

D

DougDolde

One more but this one's from the Blue Mesa Badlands at the Petrified Forest National Park. They key to using Photomatix is to use the maximum light smoothing mode. This eliminates those weird halo effects.

It really does let you get better shots than you can get with a single exposure especially in less than optimum light. With 4x5 tranny film mid day is very tough, digital is better but a single exposure is generally pretty weak.

Last edited:

JimCollum

David K

Workshop Member
Jim,
That ISO 800 shot looks better than anything I remember getting, but I rarely went that high. I'd guess 90+% of my shots were at the native ISO 50. Still, very impressive.