Site Sponsors
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Equal Time - Leaf Aptus 75S

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Equal Time - Leaf Aptus 75S

Wow, one day it is the ZD, the next day is a PhaseOne P21 or P30+, the next a Hasselcon something or another, and in the next breath it is the latest upgraded Sinar product. Meanwhile, where is the voice for the number two selling MF digital solution in the world? The Leaf. So I decided to go ahead and post some shots I took just last night, at my fiancée debut in Santa Fe at the Santa Fe Brewery. Me photographer, she the talent in the family.

I've heard several people, even other working pro's, say "You can't shoot fast action, low light or nighttime with a MF back." Bullpucky. I can shoot ANYTHING with a MF digital back. Is it my first choice for this type of work? You bet your bippy it is! There is simply put, nothing technological made today for photography that can top a well crafted, well designed medium format digital camera system. And I don't care which circumstances you care to set for test purposes. Give me any of the top three or four backs made today, and I will go against whatever you care to bring forward as a contest, and honestly mean that I can get at least as creative a vision image as anyone can. Give me light, or give me dark and let me create my own, and nothing is going to beat MF digital.

So these shots I hope will put to rest once and for all the notion that you "Can't Do" whatever it is your own inner "critical voice" tells you can't be done. These images were all shot at ISO 200 or ISO 800, depending upon what the particular effect was I wanted to use. This is the Leaf Aptus 75S at doing what I feel it is uniquely qualified to do. It is mounted on my own personal favorite body, a Contax 645. These images were all shot using the Contax - Zeiss 80mm f2 lens. A lens that sells today for a couple hundred bucks. And frankly, in my opinion is one of the finest medium format lenses ever made. This lens, and my Hassy 110/f2 FE are pure sex to me with the look they both give... And before anybody asks, yes, I KNOW some of these are blurry or out of focus. Sharpness is often WAY over rated, in my opinion. It's all about freezing a very short moment in time. Just think for a moment about how dang SHORT 1/250th of a second really is! Too darn fast for this West Virginia boy to comprehend. So I try to "slow it down" in my personal work. To capture the flow of the scene in front of my lens. The magic of the moment in all it's colorful movement and glory. For me, it's not about what you may choose to use for a tool to do it. Take your choice, the choice that works well for you, and you can afford. It's really all about learning to "see" using a mechanical eye... and the artist's perspective.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Equal Time - Leaf Aptus 75S

I do prefer the blurred shots in this instance.

DougDolde

Very nice Chuck. Here's one I shot last weekend in Joshua Tree National Park with exactly the same setup. Aptus 75S, Contax 645, 80mm planar.

1600X1200 VERSION:

http://www.painted-with-light.com/NE...UBLE_CROSS.jpg

Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shots Chuck, I'm right behind you
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

www.guymancusophotography.com

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great stuff Chuck... good to see you posting some of your work. Really like the square crop on these, gives them a CD cover look. Doug now has the sister to your back and is getting some mighty fine shots of his own. Nice composition in that shot Doug and the colors are beautiful. I'd print that one and hang it on my wall.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree the Leaf Aptus needs some play time here . Post some images folks
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Lovely shots Chuck !!( nice 5 string bass too) - and I totally agree with you - photography for me is about the emotional response an image delivers. <--- see the full stop?

The MF forum is under represented regarding a lot of backs - but thats the fault of the guys who shoot Leaf/Phase especially. take Marc out of the equation and you can say the same about Hasselblad..

btw - all the shots are sharp as needed - except the last - the contrast between the movement of the performer and the still microphone is lovely...

Doug - over sharpened ?? - but nice and brilliant light..

Pete

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Peter we need to hear more about Phase , hopefully I can help here. Certainly more about Leaf also. The Hassy and Sinar have been talked about a lot and that is awesome but if we can round this out more , it helps newbies (me) to the Mf digital world out a lot. I still have a load of questions on the Phase backs. I would love to see some more images. Images tell me what i need to know and how things feel to me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Actually what i would love to see from Jim Collum and Chuck Jones is some of there Aptus images . There both awesome shooters and close friends of mine but there work really shows what the Aptus backs can do. That was sort of a challenge. ROTFLMAO

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Doug my friend, you always did have a great eye for the quality. Great Image!

I forgot to mention that the shots above were done in light that I could not have shot a decent frame using my Leica M8, even with my 50 'Lux. My M8 just needs more light...

To be real fair, I should post a couple also done in "reasonable" light but still stage lighting in both of these live performances. These were shot with same Contax, same 80mm, but with my Aptus 75, back about two years ago. The "S" version is an improvement over these even. Oh, and these were back in my own days of thinking "sharp-is-good."

Post Thanks / Like

Really nice shots, Chuck. There is a real feeling of being there in these.

For the record, I would not say the Leaf Aptus stuff was being shorted or passed over all that much in the other discussions.....more like we needed more representation from you guys using them, and now we are getting more ;-) This is great stuff.

LJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

horseman swdII & digitar 35mm (horizontal shift)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Jim we get to play with a Horseman SWD II in San Juan , looking forward to trying it out. Looks like a way to go for the very wide stuff

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by DougDolde View Post
    Very nice Chuck. Here's one I shot last weekend in Joshua Tree National Park with exactly the same setup. Aptus 75S, Contax 645, 80mm planar.

1600X1200 VERSION:

http://www.painted-with-light.com/NE...UBLE_CROSS.jpg
    Did not see the climber in there , nice shot Doug. Bad boy has some bite to it

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

More you want Guy? Tell me when to stop

Very nice images Jim. This format really does suit your work well.

thsinar

NEVER (stop)!

Nice images, Chuck, also the previous ones.

Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Jones View Post
    More you want Guy? Tell me when to stop

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I agree Thierry never stop with images on this site, we love them. It really helps people see what these wonder kits can do and i encourage everyone to show us what these systems can produce. I know i am very excited to get back into medium Format . I loved my 2 1/4 days. Like Leica gear i have avoided MF digital a little too long. The files are just killer.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Never stop he says....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How about a detail from that last one....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

mamiya afdII, zeiss 110/2 planar

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The Golden Gate, from the top of Fort Point

Inside Fort Point

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

This gal came knocking at my studio door in Mexico one day

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great shot of the bridge Jim! One of these days I am going to have to head out with my little Plaubel and see what kind of landscapes I can find myself...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Gladding McBean Pottery Factory, Lincoln, Ca.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Something to be said for us mixing the cultures, and making friends with our brothers to the South......

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Hey Jim, you think they are getting the point yet that the Leaf Aptus 75S simply ROCKS?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

yup! love the back.

i've put up my quota for the evening..

doug.. you out there.. i've only seen one from you in this thread

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And one last one for this series... then I am off to :sleep006::sleep006:
    Doug, your turn buddy, show 'em what we got!
    Last edited by Chuck Jones; 9th May 2008 at 01:22.

Post Thanks / Like

Dear Chuch
    The 'finish' on the files is very film-like (and looks like what a foveon sensor puts out in raw!)

It does work nicely here; saturated, bolder color, and not overly sharp. I have seen Mark's Aptus images; similar.

I assume the settings for Aptus and Phase account for some of the different, but looks like other 'post' going on here.

The fact is, with a bayer sensor about the only thing that CAN differ is the way raw is converted [except for resolution, that mostly affects edge sharpness.]

The leaf seems to have the larger screen out there for LV (does it?) and might make workingt with something like the Alpa work well.

BTW, the Aptus is alway 'on' so there is no 'wake up' as there is with Phase and Sinar.

don't stop BTW, images are great!

regards
    Victor

thsinar

Victor,

just a little correction:

There has never been, there is not (and there will not be) a "wake-up" with any Sinarback, not at all.

I am not sure where you have got this from, but it isn't true.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    BTW, the Aptus is alway 'on' so there is no 'wake up' as there is with Phase and Sinar.
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Theirry how do the Sinar backs work for power on. Is it a separate button. One issue I do NOT like on my ZD back is you hit any button on the back and it turns on, maybe great in the field but in the bag well it touches something and never goes off which leads to a dead battery when your ready to shoot. I take my battery out for overnight

thsinar

The Sinarback has either a "on/off" button to start it, like the eMotion backs (battery or tethered) or then are powered by the Mac through the FW connection (Sinarback 54 H, Sinarback eVolution 75 H).

To power on the eMotion it needs to press the "on/off" button for about 1 second, and there is no risk this happening in a bag (at least it never happened to me). Further, I would suggest to ALWAYS take out the battery, when traveling: this makes last the battery much longer. I have noticed this with all my cameras (also my little Lumix): when taking out the camera, it does almost not loose its charge, when in it is empty after a few days.

Then, the eMotion backs have in addition a kind of sleep mode (which can be set at different times), but do not need to be waken up, this is instantly done when releasing or when touching any button on the eMotion.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by Guy Mancuso View Post
    Theirry how do the Sinar backs work for power on. Is it a separate button. One issue I do NOT like on my ZD back is you hit any button on the back and it turns on, maybe great in the field but in the bag well it touches something and never goes off which leads to a dead battery when your ready to shoot. I take my battery out for overnight
    Last edited by thsinar; 9th May 2008 at 06:43.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

That sounds like a nice setup to me

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Stunning imagery guys! Thanks for posting these. It re-affirms that the Aptus 75S is the back I want.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    Stunning imagery guys! Thanks for posting these. It re-affirms that the Aptus 75S is the back I want.
    Not if Thierry and Lance get to you first!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thsinar View Post
    Victor,

just a little correction:

There has never been, there is not (and there will not be) a "wake-up" with any Sinarback, not at all.

I am not sure where you have got this from, but it isn't true.

Best regards,
    Thierry
    Likely my mistake. The Kapture Gp have a Sinar cable and I thouight need was similar to Phase.

BTW as I understand the Phase backs shut down to keep cool, not so much for power, and the wakeup is needed

The APtus I believe has a fan for cooling. Does the Sinar as well?

regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well said Victor.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

The PhaseOne back is built around a sleeping architecture.
    Electronic type camera systems like the 645afd have an interface to wake the camera up seamlessly. Manual systems like the Hasselblad V-series the dark slide detector slide was used to wake the camera up while the shutter was being released.
    Other manual systems such as a view camera where there are no mechanics or electronics require something to wake up the camera to expose the CCD. So the two shot method was developed, which can be as simple as releasing the shutter, then re-cocking and releasing within the 4 second time frame. There are a variety of other ways to perform this such as using a special cable that goes in line with the flash sync, that you depress the button and then it wakes the camera up and then depress the shutter. An example of this cable is http://www.captureintegration.com/wp...s/primary1.jpg
    . Another popular way is using a cable by the Kapture Group, this essentially has a microswitch that is tripped while you press a shutter release cable . This will wake the camera up and trip the shutter the same time.
    One last way is a little cable that Phase provides that is called their wakeup cable. This cable has a tiny switch that is incorporated on the plug that connects to the digital back from the lens sync. You simply hit that with your thumb and then depress the shutter.
    Once you get the hang of this it becomes second nature.
    By using the sleeping architecture it allows PhaseOne to build a back that can withstand extreme conditions as shown the some of the videos they produced like, freezing a back for 30 minutes, baking a back for 30 minutes and others. You can view them at : http://www.captureintegration.com/ph...bility-videos/

Hope this makes some things clearer of why you have to wake up the back.
    L
    Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

So Lance all I would do is hit the release and the back wakes up also. But to turn on you turn camera on than back . How long do you push button on back to power up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by lance_schad View Post
    By using the sleeping architecture it allows PhaseOne to build a back that can withstand extreme conditions as shown the some of the videos they produced like, freezing a back for 30 minutes, baking a back for 30 minutes and others. You can view them at : http://www.captureintegration.com/ph...bility-videos/

Hope this makes some things clearer of why you have to wake up the back.
    L
    Lance Schad
    Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
    305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
    Capture Integration
    My Blog
    [email protected]
    So, if you plan on freezing or baking your digital back, you might consider the Phase One products.

Otherwise, you can consider Leaf, Sinar or Hasselblad, none of which have to be woken up in case of freezing/baking.

Steve Hendrix
    www.ppratlanta.com/digital.php

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix/PPR View Post
    So, if you plan on freezing or baking your digital back, you might consider the Phase One products.

Otherwise, you can consider Leaf, Sinar or Hasselblad, none of which have to be woken up in case of freezing/baking.

Steve Hendrix
    ok... who's the first one who's going to do a studio shot of a P45+ frozen in a block of ice

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I meant to say was that there are no fans or extra ventilation needed, therefore there is extreme durability with the Phase One Backs. The sleeping architecture will though provide exposures of up to one hour and very low noise at all exposures.

Also you it is good to know if you by chance put your back in an easybake oven for a half hour or out in the frozen tundra, it will still work!

L

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Hendrix/PPR View Post

Steve Hendrix
    Hell Steve if i am in those conditions, screw it i am going home. LOL

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What I meant to say was that there are no fans or extra ventilation needed, therefore there is extreme durability with the Phase One Backs. The sleeping architecture will though provide exposures of up to one hour and very low noise at all exposures.

Also you it is good to know if you by chance put your back in an easybake oven for a half hour or out in the frozen tundra, it will still work!

L
    Hell not sure you can pay me enough to sit in the frozen tundra. I'm too baked from living in the desert.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Seriously though and this is really a concern for me when temps hit 120 here. i kid you not it is not just 1 day of the year but maybe 60 days and your out there and that camera is putting off 160 degrees of heat , this is a concern.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

L
    Lance, you do know that the easybake ovens didn't really have any heat in them, right?

Steve Hendrix

DougDolde

Here's one more from Joshua Tree with the 35mm Distagon. I have been so darn busy working that I haven't had much time to shoot with it yet. That's going to change as I'm taking a sabbatical in another week.

DougDolde

Jim are all those shots with the Horseman and 35mm lens? They sure do have a exceptional quality.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I love it when Steve and Lance get on the same thread. Kind of like that battle of the Iron Chef show on TV. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LW-IoajWjm8

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I know it's like Jack and me sometimes . Love it.