The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

eMotion 75 LV (old model) - Landscapes (Kiama, AU)

T

thsinar

Following some landscape shots taken 1 year ago, at Kiama, near Sydney - AU
Kindly put at my disposal by my friend David Kay, AU

Sinar eMotion 75 LV
Alpa with Digitar 35mm and 24mm
Copyright David Kay, Sydney

T

thsinar

yes, right.

Unfortunately, I am still having problems to get the right colours rendered in the posts: my images are way different and much more appealing than the one you can see here, concerning colours.

I have now tried more or less everything, when posting: I have tried to use "sRGB", "Adobe RGB 98", "ProPhoto RGB", ...

But all those profiles DO NOT change anything when the images show up here, all are as if there is no colour management at all.

I know that it can't be my browser, since using Safari, so what else am I doing wrong?

Guy: any hint?

Thanks,
Thierry

Thanks Thierry,

I'm very impressed with the shadows, and DR.

Best,

Mitchell

PeterA

Thierry are you using 'save for web' on Adobe after choosing Srgb as your output profile?

T

thsinar

OK, Graham, got it: it looks much closer now, to the original, though not a 100% concerning saturation.

At least I've learned something.

Thanks, also to Peter,
Thierry

Thierry, are you using "convert to profile"? I always convert to sRGB then use "save for web" in CS3. That seems to work fine.

Last edited:

gogopix

Subscriber
yes
the bluish tinge is usually adobe or prophoto space sent to web where it is 'assumed; to be srgb.

For some reason 'convert to web doesnt get it right.
in "Edit" at bottom see "Convert to profile"

Victor

PS There is a simple program called "Hypersnap" that gets a good screen capture, gets the space and also shows pixel dimensions!

Last edited:
T

thsinar

OK, Graham, got it: it looks much closer now, to the original, though not a 100% concerning saturation.

At least I've learned something.

Thanks, also to Peter,
Thierry

Thierry, are you using "convert to profile"? I always convert to sRGB then use "save for web" in CS3. That seems to work fine.

LJL

Graham,
I agree this is the better route (Edit > Convert to Profile > (make selection in pop-up window), as I believe otherwise, the "save for web" action creates an untagged RGB file whenever it sees anything other the sRGB as the color profile, and that is probably what is throwing the colors off in the shots that Thierry posted.

LJ

LJL

Alright, here another try, this sRGB and saved for Web:
These look much better, Thierry. There will be some difference from aRGB or Pro Photo RGB color space to sRGB, which is a smaller color space, so sometimes you can lose saturation or increase contrast. It is worth playing with a bit to determine what works best in the conversion (Perceptual or Relative Colorimetric) for your black point. This can cause either compression/shifting of out of gamut colors into the smaller color space, or just dropping the out of gamut colors. That can sometime result in color shifts and changes in saturation, depending upon where you started.

LJ

T

thsinar

Guy,

I'm using a Mac (ProBook Intel)

The latest upload is the best (closest) I can get, though not 100% in terms of saturation. Here the way, as described by Graham:

PS ---> "Convert to Profile" ---> "sRGB" from the Menu

then:

File ---> "Save for Web & Devices ...": there I have set "Standard Windows Color" (the Standard Mac Color" is even less saturated/brighter)

then "Save"

I feel sorry for having hijacked the time of you all, but had to find out to make it look a bit closer to the original.

Thanks all,
Thierry

T

thsinar

hi LJ,

I agree with you. I had no clue up to now with all the settings required for web upload. Thanks to some little tries I am much closer now: the difference I can accept it and probably due to the smaller colour space of sRGB. I have used here "Relative Colorimetric" and will give it a try with "Perceptual" the next time.

Thanks,
Thierry

These look much better, Thierry. There will be some difference from aRGB or Pro Photo RGB color space to sRGB, which is a smaller color space, so sometimes you can lose saturation or increase contrast. It is worth playing with a bit to determine what works best in the conversion (Perceptual or Relative Colorimetric) for your black point. This can cause either compression/shifting of out of gamut colors into the smaller color space, or just dropping the out of gamut colors. That can sometime result in color shifts and changes in saturation, depending upon where you started.

LJ

LJL

hi LJ,

I agree with you. I had no clue up to now with all the settings required for web upload. Thanks to some little tries I am much closer now: the difference I can accept it and probably due to the smaller colour space of sRGB. I have used here "Relative Colorimetric" and will give it a try with "Perceptual" the next time.

Thanks,
Thierry
Glad to help. The key to help decide which to use is fairly simple. If you have very specific colors on key things that you do not want to change/lose, go with Relative Colorimetric. This will make some out of gamut colors drop out, but it will preserve the key colors you want.

If you want to preserve the full array of colors and are less concerned about some subtle shifts, go with Perceptual. This will compress colors from a larger space into a smaller space, but keep the perceived appearance of their relationships.

LJ

T

thsinar

Very helpful, LJ.

Thanks!

Thierry

Glad to help. The key to help decide which to use is fairly simple. If you have very specific colors on key things that you do not want to change/lose, go with Relative Colorimetric. This will make some out of gamut colors drop out, but it will preserve the key colors you want.

If you want to preserve the full array of colors and are less concerned about some subtle shifts, go with Perceptual. This will compress colors from a larger space into a smaller space, but keep the perceived appearance of their relationships.

LJ

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Thierry check your e-mail . I just sent you a new action from GetDPI that master Jack created . Folks you can also buy this. We have it posted somewhere . But this is a awesome action when you are ready to go to the web.