The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

New firmware for all Phase One P+ Backs

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Today Phase One has announced a new firmware (5.1.2) for all P+ backs. This brings support for many CF cards not supported in earlier firmware versions. This includes new cards such as the Sandisk Extreme 32/64GB (60/90MB) and Lexar 300X 16GB.

Note to tethered shooters: while I don't know yet of any specific problems are known it is a generally good idea to keep your software versions and firmware generationally similar. For instance I would not recommend using brand new firmware with fairly old software. So if you're not using Capture One 5.x.x I would recommend you either update C1 or don't update your firmware.

General note: working pros who rely on their cameras for their living should never be in a big rush to install anything new (software, OS updates, firmware). Should there be any issues with this firmware updater Capture Integration will post a note on our website. Subscribing to our RSS feed is the best way to get such updates.

More information and links to download

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Steve Hendrix

Today Phase One has announced a new firmware (5.1.2) for all P+ backs. This brings support for many CF cards not supported in earlier firmware versions. This includes new cards such as the Sandisk Extreme 32/64GB (60/90MB) and Lexar 300X 16GB.

Note to tethered shooters: while I don't know yet of any specific problems are known it is a generally good idea to keep your software versions and firmware generationally similar. For instance I would not recommend using brand new firmware with fairly old software. So if you're not using Capture One 5.x.x I would recommend you either update C1 or don't update your firmware.

General note: working pros who rely on their cameras for their living should never be in a big rush to install anything new (software, OS updates, firmware). Should there be any issues with this firmware updater Capture Integration will post a note on our website. Subscribing to our RSS feed is the best way to get such updates.

More information and links to download

Personal Work

This issue was posted on our website as part of our blog and RSS feed some time ago:

http://www.captureintegration.com/2010/02/24/cf-card-compatibility-2/

Steve Hendrix

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Not at a very pleasant place. Hospice with my mother in law. Sorry folks I'm behind on a lot of things
Our thoughts are with you Guy. Best wishes to you, her, and your family.

I don't know if it's weird to bring up, but one of my early inspirations in photography was an instructor at Ohio University named Bruce Strong. I still remember his first presentation to the class was a documentary he shot on the passing of this father. They were very close, and it was a several week process during which he was around nearly non-stop. His images of that moment in his life were equally haunting, beautiful, and emotional. I distinctly remember realizing that it had been more than two years since I had cried - but that presentation brought tears to my eyes and I could tell it meant the world to Bruce.

Obviously not for everyone, and I bring it up mainly because I never know what to say in these situations.

Wishing you well...

Personal Work

thomas

does this indicate that there won't be any firmware updates for non plus backs...? :-(

thomas

I suspect the non plus backs will not see a new firmware update.
I think I should store a couple of compatible cards then ... before they are discontinued :)

BTW: I am still dreaming about a firmware update featuring the focus mask tool.
But this is most likely not going to happen for non plus backs :D

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
I think I should store a couple of compatible cards then ... before they are discontinued :)
Good idea.

The bad news is it will be harder to find them easily. The good news is they are now dirt cheap, have a very very long life-span (assuming you don't lose them) and places like Amazon will likely have them available for purchase for years.

BTW: I am still dreaming about a firmware update featuring the focus mask tool. But this is most likely not going to happen for non plus backs :D
No it's not going to happen on a non plus back.

etrump

Does this mean they corrected the MAC OSX bug that broke the back on certain versions of the OS?

Don Libby

Hey Doug

If I read this correctly, the major point of this update is directed towards adding newer improved support to CF cards.

I also read this that if in my case I don't or haven't had a problem (I use Sandisk Extreme III 16gb cards) it's a case of if it isn't broke why fix it...

Am I reading this correctly or should I be thinking about doing this? I've got a couple months till I head to Jackson Hole so I've got time.

Don

narikin

I just updated to it, and it feels like there is a faster frame rate writing to my 32Gb UDMA cards.

This is not scientific at all, as I didn't do a stopwatch timed 10 shot burst before/after update, but am happy that it seems to give me the ready beep quicker than before on my P65+. A welcome improvement if you are using fast cards, that the back now takes more advantage of them.

GRW

For whatever reason this update doesn't like my P40+ and then shooting tethered . File gets corrupted every time during transfer.

Went back to 4.8.8 and all was well again, would have been handy having the RZ mode though.

Anybody elese had this issue?