The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Mamiya AFDII + ZD back single buffer

djonesii

Workshop Member
Dear all;

I have now done three studio shoots with this back/body combination.

None of them have been tethered, but, I now have that set up on PC at home, and if I can find the right cart/stand, I will bring that kit to the next shoot. I believe that with the small screen on the back, that is essential. I find it very difficult to even check basic posing an composition on the tiny low res screen. At the same time, I have a feeling, that is why all the backs allow tethered shooting, and the I-pad aps are starting to become useful. As I get my studio workflow refined, even though the screen does suck, I don't think it will matter than much.

How the system did at the most basic level was at best good enough. If I were a pro who was making my living with this system, it was no where good enough. The buffer is not deep enough, and at least once, but more often twice in a shoot, I have had to pop the batter pack out of the back, and reboot the whole mess. It has never been such a problem that the system did not work, but on the other hand, it does not inspire confidence. Both Pocket Wizards, and Paul Buff triggers, the flash has never misfired. ( This is not true of a Sony A700 and Some Canons 40D(?) that other photographers have used at the same shoots, my Nikon has never misfired )

As to the IQ, at ISO 50, and ISO 100, I'm simply very impressed. With both the zoom 55-110 and the 80mm, I'm very happy. My next lens will either be the 105-210 or the 210 tele, I have not finalized my choice yet, but I need the longer focal length for tight head shoots without having to be on top of the model.

I have been looking at on screen crops, and when I do get all the bits right, the quality is exceptional. This echos what I read all over the web, the issue with this back is not IQ at base, but ISO performance and robustness. I read all of Frank Doorhoufs (spelling) blog on this back, and he was spot on. I will be sending some of these off to print soon, and will post results when I get them.

The more important question is relative quality .... I'm still not quite sure about this. Some of the high key shooting that I did with Athena, I simply don't think that the Nikon D300 could have held up to the dynamic range needed. As to a D700 or D3x, that is kind of moot as I chose the ZD over the D700. If any one can comment to that, I'd certainly appreciate it.

My recent galleries are up on this link:
http:
//www.private.jonesii.net/dads_index.htm

Any thing that requires a password will show nude female models, if this type of photo bothers you, don't look.

User = Guest
pass = matrix.

Any comments or questions about the system/lighting etc are welcome.
C&C is appreciated.

Dave