The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

MF digital newbies, so what have you learned

Frits

I'm going to add on one very important fact of life with MF. Folks this is real work, like strapping on your tool belt and go banging some nails. This is not pick up the camera and let it do your mindless thinking when you shoot where the camera does it all for you. Far from it although many things are very good like AF and metering and such but think of it this way take a 8x10 view camera and blend it with a 35mm Nikon. You will get some automation but you better be prepared to work at getting images and putting your mind to work. Some may say it is slower working, I kind of don't like that description myself. I would prefer if folks said they are out working deliberate images.
The reality is this you are thinking more and working to get the best you can from it's abilities. This takes some time and if you get frustrated than just give it more time as MF can take a couple months to really get the hang of working differently but a lot smarter. I love it and I love the challenge.
Spot on Guy. This is actually one of the aspects I like about MF.

David Schneider

I'm going to add on one very important fact of life with MF. Folks this is real work, like strapping on your tool belt and go banging some nails. This is not pick up the camera and let it do your mindless thinking when you shoot where the camera does it all for you. Far from it although many things are very good like AF and metering and such but think of it this way take a 8x10 view camera and blend it with a 35mm Nikon. You will get some automation but you better be prepared to work at getting images and putting your mind to work. Some may say it is slower working, I kind of don't like that description myself. I would prefer if folks said they are out working deliberate images.
The reality is this you are thinking more and working to get the best you can from it's abilities. This takes some time and if you get frustrated than just give it more time as MF can take a couple months to really get the hang of working differently but a lot smarter. I love it and I love the challenge.
Great post.

I think sometime we forget that these mf digital cameras are world class. They have the potential to take world class images and produce world class files. Just compare the files of your mfd to your Canon or Nikon or even your Leica in "35mm" format and you understand that.

I'm finding myself a bit frustrated doing high school seniors lately because I look at the files of my Canon 5dmk2 and know if I had taken the same image with my Hassie, for example, I'd see those eyelashes instead of having to retouch them in. Might not make a very noticeable difference in final print order as usually not a wall print, taking the lead from Guy, when you strap on that tool belt, you want to pound those nails really straight. (And truly there is something really nice about using a Swingline hammer compared to the $3.99 generic model at Home Depot, same as using mf compared to dslr.)

baudolino

Great post.

I think sometime we forget that these mf digital cameras are world class. They have the potential to take world class images and produce world class files. Just compare the files of your mfd to your Canon or Nikon or even your Leica in "35mm" format and you understand that.
Very true; as much as I love the output from my Leica M9 (which really is a superb machine with the modern lenses...), I am always surprised how much better the quality is from my Sinar 33MP digital back - but it is so ONLY if I make the effort (tripod, mirror pre-release, cable release, very deliberate focusing), and that "only" is not always what I want/can be bothered/can afford to do; neither are all subjects necessarily demanding of the "MF treatment" in my mind. I always wonder why many of the guys on the various forums post images of their kids/pets/family taken with the latest and greatest MF digiback or the S2 when such images would look equally great and would have the same sentimental value if taken with a Lumix GF1, for instance...; the bottom line being that I reserve my MF digital efforts to more "pre-planned projects", images that I have previewed in my mind, after some research and deliberation, and shoot my everyday "snaps" with all the other lovely/"lowly" cameras, like the M9, the GF1 or a Canon DSLR, that are so much more convenient and so much easier to use.

PeterA

I think that Guy has made a very strong point which people considering buying into MFD should read carefully. The backs be they 25 or 80 megapixels all require careful attention to shooting technique. Even in the fattest light - less than very careful technique will totally remove the IQ and resolution benefits you can get from MFD backs ie if you dnt take care you wont get the benefits.

This is why ( IMHO) each person must make sure that the camera erogonomics suit their personal preferences - especially in hand held use.

Also understand that what landscape photographers want and need isnt necesarilly what everyone needs. For example I know I dont need 80 megapixels or even 60 in a single shot camera - and if I needed multishot - really there is only one choice if you want the best - but then you better have the studio environment to use it properly!

Final note - I really don't think that MFD is moving up or trading up. In many situaitons it is just as accurate to understand one is actually trading down - when it comes to functionality..

horses for courses is a very important factor - an M9 will give me more keepers in hand held use than any MF camera system - a D3 will give me much better high ISO as well as much better telephoto than any MF camera system.

So I dont expect a MF system to do it all for me - but rather I use each system for its strengths - and have ended up happier - even though with less cash in the bank...

David Schneider

Peter is correct. You have to be a better technical photographer using mf than smaller format. And the right tool for the right job.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Final note - I really don't think that MFD is moving up or trading up. In many situaitons it is just as accurate to understand one is actually trading down - when it comes to functionality..
:thumbs: I couldn't agree more. Certainly with Phase One/Mamiya it's a step backwards from 35mm DSLRs although you definitely do get out what you put in - as you mention, sloppy technique will bite you.

horses for courses is a very important factor - an M9 will give me more keepers in hand held use than any MF camera system - a D3 will give me much better high ISO as well as much better telephoto than any MF camera system.

So I dont expect a MF system to do it all for me - but rather I use each system for its strengths - and have ended up happier - even though with less cash in the bank...
Peter, again these are pearls of wisdom that apply to system use overall. Like you, I get more keepers with both my M9 and Nikon gear for just the reasons you cite. I bring my M9 along whenever I shoot with my MFDB and it's also my travel camera of choice. If I only have one chance of capturing an image such as with wildlife or high ISO situations then my D3s is the system of choice (or whatever your flavor of DSLR obviously). For landscape though, where I don't have to hurry, I prefer to make the investment of time and technique with MF digital and preferably with the least amount of automation possible. (Actually, when I'm shooting on my own I'm an annoyingly slow & considered shooter! Almost glacial at times :eek: )

H

Hikari

I set up a studio for my center with a Linhof medium-format camera and Phase P25 back. It was quite easy to move to medium-format digital from film. One term was confusing at first, but once I figured out "lens cast" was actually vignetting or a product of it, it was a lot easier--film cameras also had a color shift caused by vignetting, but just different colors. It has been a lot of fun shooting tethered in a studio--we have the camera hooked up to a 30" monitor. It does create strange behavior--the models turn to the monitor after each time the strobes fire. Maybe I should get a smaller monitor.

sflxn

I learned that you never have as much light as you'd like when handholding a MF camera nor have a lens with enough reach. I am carrying my Hassy with an 80mm and 28mm with me through SE Asia along with a Nikon DSLR. I love the images on the Hassy but I more often reach for the Nikon simply because of clean high ISO and long lens.

I tried trekking with the Hassy, and I learned that I needed a massage to work out the aches and pain in my shoulder from carrying the hassy all day. I need to figure out how to trek with a MF camera better.

BradleyGibson

I need to figure out how to trek with a MF camera better.
I trek with my MF gear quite a bit. You will want the weight to be symmetric (no one-shoulder bags) and on your hips. In short, the best way that I have found is a good backpack that fits both your gear and your body well.

Paratom

I also carry my MF gear (before Hy6 now S2) quite a bit and Ialso prefer backpacks (but for 2 hours slingtype works too).
Still the S2 is even a step forward in potability for me. Not that much lighter than other MF but smaller.
A S2 and 70mm is lighter than a Nikon DSLR + 24-70 (not lighter than a 50mm prime though).
For me one "trick" is to think before which lenses I would need mostly and then I often bring only 2 lenses.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Actually I heard the magic word here bags. I have many setups for what I am doing. Client work usually I use my Streetwalker pro and throw everything in and go. Here is it usually predetermined what i am going to do and need. Lets call this one the safe bet since you are prepared for it. In the field this one is interesting. When doing our workshops we mostly work from the car. Here i leave the Streetwalker home and use a TT 3lens changer bag over my shoulder. I can actually get 4 lenses in it with filters and extra batteries. Now the Body/back and one lens either does one of two things. If i have my laptop than I use a TT Urban Disguise 50 which hold my laptop and Phase one lens kit. I would normally grab the Phase stick it on the tripod and run leaving that bag in the car. So now I am pretty nimble with just a 3 lens bag slung over my shoulder. Now I use a Domke F5 bag I will use when I don't have the laptop so than I can use the 3 lens bag throw the Phase One lens in the domke and go do my thing. One trick I learned is actually keep the Domke in the car which gives me the option of either walking with cam on tripod or walking with it in a small bag on the other shoulder.

Key here is I given up on the backpack when I am just out and about. This is one way to come up with game plans on how you handle your gear in different shooting situations..

Now i teach workshops so I obviously see what everyone brings and bottom line they all bring too much and bags are to big. I know they are all going to curse me for saying that but again the trick is keep it simple. The last thing you want is struggling with stupids bags instead of getting images. Its bad enough when your dealing with time like sunrises and sunsets and your rushing to get your gear together. Than bad **** happens.

sflxn

I agree with most of you guys on the bag problem. I'm currently traveling, and I use a Computrekker to carry my MF with 2 lenses, a small dslr with 2 lenses, and a macbook air. The bag is used to carry all my photo and computing equipment to my hotel. I then used a cheap REI shoulder bag to carry one camera, one lens when I'm out and about. I usually hate shoulder bags due to the shoulder ache problem.

I think I am going to move to a 2 camera bag solution. Instead of carrying everything in one bag to carry to the hotel, I will have one bag for the DSLR and one bag for the MF. That way, I can just grab one bag when I go out. The only question is the laptop situation.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
I agree with the principle of the two bag system. The need to carry the full load for travel is different to the need to carry the required lenses and equipment for the day or shooting location. I think also though that the proximity of your base, be it home, your hotel or your vehicle also has an impact upon what amount of gear you will actually take into the field with you.

For example, if you are going to be quite a way away from your car on a trip then the need to carry some form of backup or extra equipment is different than if you will only be a few minutes away. What it comes down to for me is the goldilocks factor - I.e. Finding something that is neither too large & overloaded vs traveling too light and unable to react to unexpected opportunities or in case **** does happen. The secret is to find the "right" size bag and equipment selection for the day.

sflxn

LOL. I have spent so much time on the internet searching for the "right" size bag. This is probably the biggest annoyance in photography today. I'm looking at the problem of long travel trips overseas. I once carried a pelican 1510 through India. I thought it was the "right" size case till I got on propeller plane. The jet prop plane is one of the reason for the two small bag idea. I'm terrified about the day when they try to force me to check in my camera bag. They've tried before and failed.

The backup equipment is an issue. I've been going without when I go out and about. Years of DSLRs have given me a false sense of security. I probably should backup my MF with something small.

Let's just face it, we will never find a "right" size bag. It's just a series of "wrong" size bags to the next series of "wrong" size bags. I'm pretty much resigned to that idea.

H

Hikari

Photography is not about having the right bag, camera, or lens. Just the right attitude, an open mind, and just a bit of luck.

dick

Photography is not about having the right bag, camera, or lens. Just the right attitude, an open mind, and just a bit of luck.
C**p.. Photography is about being in the right place at the right time with the right kit.

It can be a mistake to spend money of a kit bag before you realize how much gear you will need.

Last edited:
H

Hikari

C**p.. Photography is about being in the right place at the right time with the right kit.

I can be a mistake to spend money of a kit beg before you realize how much gear you will need.
The photo manufacturers are going to love you. They have a solution to sell you for every place and time. And if you don't get your shot, that is just an indication of a bad purchase.

I have found good photography is the product of the photographer, not the camera. While the camera is not incidental, there is no such thing as the "right kit."

Naturally, blaming the equipment is much easier...

What a friendly forum.

BradleyGibson

Over the past four or five years, I've switched digital medium format systems *seven* times. I've basically flushed a not-so-small fortune down the toilet getting to the right system for me. The upshot of that experience?

Using the right gear for the right job.

Of course there is subjectivity in that, and while there is certainly room for personal preference nobody would seriously choose to fight a forest fire with a water pistol. Put another way, if you feel you've got the wrong gear for the job, yes, gear matters a whole helluva lot.

Once you've solved that problem at least to a sufficient degree, your gear does not get in the way of your creative vision or business needs, then the world is different, and you have much more ability to focus on the tasks at hand.

I've learned that this is why it is very important to handle and use your prospective gear before you buy, as ergonomics and performance vary *much* more widely with medium format than they do with small format.

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I agree Brad , one very important part of gear is it really needs to be comfortable within yourself or your just fighting a endless battle. Sure photography is no question about the space between your ears but if you cloud that space with something not feeling right than it just simply gets in the way. Bags are gear and having a comfortable /workable bag may mean a lot in the shooting. Just like a grip that may not feel good as you are fighting it. Everything just needs to work and work within yourself so when you finally do put the eyecup to your eye you can focus on what is in front of you not some piece of gear that is just bugging the crap out of you. I have been through more systems than I can count much less remember but in the end it has to feel good first.

S

Shelby Lewis

Naturally, blaming the equipment is much easier...

What a friendly forum.
Hey Hikari... don't let that single comment sully your image of this forum. Hang around and you'll find it's one of the nicest, most easy going places on the net.

Comments like that aren't tolerated long around here.