The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Is there a Phase mount for Hassy 203FE?

D

DougDolde

Isn't that a standard Hasselblad V mount? Sure they are.

tom in mpls

Thanks, Doug. I know nothing about Hassy's.

Here's what the Phase site says:

Models of P+ back:
Phase One H101: Hasselblad H1 and H2
Hasselblad V: Hasselblad 555ELD, 533ELX, 503CW and 501CM

So, why does is specify several of the 5xx models, but no mention of 2xx?

irakly

mmmm, that maybe a tricky question. as far as i know, phase one backs are not that great at synchronizing with 20x focal plane shutters. so, if i am not mistaken, you can use it with cf/cfe lenses, but it kinda defeats the whole purpose.

fotografz

As a focal plane shutter camera using the F & FE lenses? In a word ... NO.

You can probably mount it on a 200 series camera ... but you can't take a picture :)

lance_schad

Workshop Member
Here is what I got off of the Phase One Konowledgebase:
"hase One backs will work on a Hasselbad 200 series body with a special workaround. The shutterwheel on the body needs to be set to "C" in order to disable the built-in shutter. Only C, CB, CF, CFA, or CFi lenses can be used. These lenses have a built-in shutter. This way the camera will operate like the Hasselblad 500 series cameras.

The CF lenses work on the Hasselbad 200 series camera bodies in the following way: the focal plane shutter must be locked open on the body and the leaf shutter in the CF lens is used just like on a V body.

Phase One backs designed for Mechanical Hasselblad (V-series) are compatible but with the following limitations.

# 201 F - Does not work with FE Lenses. Use C, CB, CF, CFA, or CFi lenses
# 202 FA - Not recommended
# 203 FE - Does not work with FE Lenses. Use C, CB, CF, CFA, or CFi lenses
# 205 FCC - Does not work with FE Lenses. Use C, CB, CF, CFA, or CFi lenses

For information on the use of your Hasselblad 200 series camera with the lenses mentioned above please refer to the documentation that came with your Hasselblad camera."

You can also of course if you would like to use your FE lenses go the Mamiya 645AFD route wirth the HB adapter.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]
"

fotografz

Here is what I got off of the Phase One Konowledgebase:
"hase One backs will work on a Hasselbad 200 series body with a special workaround. The shutterwheel on the body needs to be set to "C" in order to disable the built-in shutter. Only C, CB, CF, CFA, or CFi lenses can be used. These lenses have a built-in shutter. This way the camera will operate like the Hasselblad 500 series cameras.

The CF lenses work on the Hasselbad 200 series camera bodies in the following way: the focal plane shutter must be locked open on the body and the leaf shutter in the CF lens is used just like on a V body.

Phase One backs designed for Mechanical Hasselblad (V-series) are compatible but with the following limitations.

# 201 F - Does not work with FE Lenses. Use C, CB, CF, CFA, or CFi lenses
# 202 FA - Not recommended
# 203 FE - Does not work with FE Lenses. Use C, CB, CF, CFA, or CFi lenses
# 205 FCC - Does not work with FE Lenses. Use C, CB, CF, CFA, or CFi lenses

For information on the use of your Hasselblad 200 series camera with the lenses mentioned above please refer to the documentation that came with your Hasselblad camera."

You can also of course if you would like to use your FE lenses go the Mamiya 645AFD route wirth the HB adapter.
L
Lance Schad
Capture Integration - Miami/Atlanta
305-394-3196 cell | 305-534-5702 office
Capture Integration
My Blog
[email protected]
"
So, in a word ... NO.

I also assume CFA means CFE ...

When C, CF, CFI and CFE lenses are used on a 200 series camera they are used as Leaf Shutter lenses with a top shutter speed of 1/500th and flash sync to 1/500th. On any H camera using the CF adapter, the C lenses can also be used with sync speed to 1/500th and retain full aperture focusing, metering and shooting with automatic stop down.

On a focal plane camera like the Contax 645 or Mamiya AFD, ADFD-II, AFD-III, all hasselblad V lenses C or F type can be used, but only with stop down metering and shooting.

I think we are gretting closer to an answer as to whether a Sinar eMotion back can be used on a 200 series camera without restrictions. It may be the only solution other than the Hasselblad CFV.

gogopix

Subscriber
The real answer is that ONLY other cameras (Contx, Mamiya, maybe Hy6) will use both C and F lenses.
What is the issue with FP shutter on 200? I guess it is a synch issue.
I wonder how Phase does it with these cameras; the shuuter opens at different speeds-I guess the back waits for the time end and then reads out.

With the 200 I can see where the back may not start collecting fast enough? but that makes no sense

maybe someone can explain why these shutter/MFDB issues come up

regards
Victor

fotografz

The real answer is that ONLY other cameras (Contx, Mamiya, maybe Hy6) will use both C and F lenses.
What is the issue with FP shutter on 200? I guess it is a synch issue.
I wonder how Phase does it with these cameras; the shuuter opens at different speeds-I guess the back waits for the time end and then reads out.

With the 200 I can see where the back may not start collecting fast enough? but that makes no sense

maybe someone can explain why these shutter/MFDB issues come up

regards
Victor
I think it may well be a simple timing issue. When using the CFV back where the V cameras activate the CFV mechanically, you have to use the menu to tell the back which camera is being used. If you leave the menu selection on 500 series when the back is on a 200 series camera, it will not work.

The Hasselblad CF and older Imacon backs can be made to work on a 200 series camera with a special release made by the Kapture Group ... but it most certainly defeats the whole purpose of a using the 203FE as a mobile camera:

Last edited: