The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hasslblad V CFV 39

dorigatti

Hello! This is my first post so greetings to you all and thank you for your support and input.

I live in Holland and I just retired as a pro (Nikon digital). I want to bring my Hasselbad V system out of retirement. I have several bodies and most lenses. Everything is in "like new" condition. Reading the posts here I sense most people recommend moving to the Hasselblad HD system yet I am reluctant to mothball my V stuff. So I am looking to invest in a digital back. My budget is around Euro 12,000 (US$ 15,000) and I would prefer to buy from a dealer in Europe for service and warranty reasons. I do general and travel photography with some macro work.

I hear the CFV 39 is good but cannot be rotated whereas the Phase One can be. Is this true? However I believe the comparable Phase One costs a lot more although it has the same specs. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Uaiomex

I will follow this thread. I'm curious what the responses will be like. I don't have any and probably never will. I'm stuck with my EOS (and very happy) system and spending my money on L glass. (No chance to save for digital MF).
Good luck.
Eduardo

yaya

Hello! This is my first post so greetings to you all and thank you for your support and input.

I live in Holland and I just retired as a pro (Nikon digital). I want to bring my Hasselbad V system out of retirement. I have several bodies and most lenses. Everything is in "like new" condition. Reading the posts here I sense most people recommend moving to the Hasselblad HD system yet I am reluctant to mothball my V stuff. So I am looking to invest in a digital back. My budget is around Euro 12,000 (US$ 15,000) and I would prefer to buy from a dealer in Europe for service and warranty reasons. I do general and travel photography with some macro work.

I hear the CFV 39 is good but cannot be rotated whereas the Phase One can be. Is this true? However I believe the comparable Phase One costs a lot more although it has the same specs. I would greatly appreciate any advice.
The Leaf Aptus-II 7 is currently promoted for the V-Series at €9,995 in Europe, leaving a couple of thousands for a new laptop:)

And yes it can be rotated on the camera

Speak to Rob van der Linden at Eyes On Media in Amsterdam

Yair

rmueller

Hi,

I have two arguments that speak for the CFV (be it 16 or 39):
1. End-User Experience, and here I mean the fact that the CFV
integrates well with both the 500 and 200 (with some modification)
bodies. You DON'T NEED any sync cable from the lens to back.
2. Phocus software and lens correction for Zeiss glass. The Hasselblad
Raw Converter software offers lens corrections for even some of the older
Zeiss glass, a feature that work quite well (at least with my wife CFV16,
can't speak for the CFV39).

And then, I'm still impressed by the "look" of the images produced by the
CFV16 back, it is sooo special. If you have a chance to test one, i would
give that a try before buying into the CFV39, but that is of course just
personal opinion.

Best Regards,
Ralf

neil

How about the Leaf Aptus-II 7 screen ? Does that have any advantages ? Does it make it easier to confirm that a shot has correct focus ? is there any workflow advantages gained from the large screen ?

The Leaf Aptus-II 5 also seems to be very reasonably priced. Many people like the Dallas Chip.
Can anyone point me to any reviews or user experiences with this back

Regards

Neil

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
How about the Leaf Aptus-II 7 screen ? Does that have any advantages ? Does it make it easier to confirm that a shot has correct focus ? is there any workflow advantages gained from the large screen ?

The Leaf Aptus-II 5 also seems to be very reasonably priced. Many people like the Dallas Chip.

Regards

Neil
The best advice I can give you is to see the screen for yourself. I used to shoot Aptus 75S and had the opportunity to play with a friend's new 40 MP Aptus and for me the screen resolution was inadequate to judge focus. I wouldn't hold this against the Aptus... (which I have fond memories of) since that's been my experience with all the backs with the exception of the Leica S2. I'm sure others will chime in here if their opinions differ.

jlm

Workshop Member
i used the cfv-16 with the 205TCC. loved it, loved the sq sensor, felt i needed more resolution and a more modern sensor

switched to the cfv-39, much better, but only if printing large and/or moire problems. hated the rectangular choice, but no reason you can't crop to sq and always shoot landscape mode (the default). would have preferred portrait mode by default and then stitching to sq, for really huge files.

finally moved to the H3-39

have found that the rotated camera for portrait mode is a PIA, even with the RRS right angle bracket. I am thinking of masking/cropping to sq and ignoring the extra pixels

fotografz

I used the CFV/16 for many years. I also used other backs on the V camera that required a PC connection cord.

The CFV 16 or 39 are totally integrated with the V cameras and eliminate the PC cord from lens to back ... PC cords are the weak link in any system where ever they are used, so if you go that route get a lot of PC cords (preferably with gold connections) and a tip conditioner. Most any issues I ever had with digital backs on a V camera were due to PC cord issues.

A nice advantage is that a 200 camera can be used ... including use of all your leaf shutter V lenses while providing in camera metering.

The CFV/39 cannot be rotated ... but you can select square or rectangular format. I believe the square is 28 meg. The rectangular format is valuable for wide shots like with a 40mm ... but I found shooting a wide angle in portrait orientation to be pretty rare.

The Phocus software DAC corrections for the Zeiss V lenses cannot be under-played. Simply amazing, and makes the excellent Zeiss optics even better.

Lastly, are you aware that every leaf shutter V lens you have will work on a H3D/39 using the CF Adapter? All these lenses are preprogramed into all H cameras, and CFE lenses automatically index for metering.

Lastly in favor of the CFV, it looks like a V film back with chrome edging and matching design.

However, all of the backs produce stunning image quality. It's hard to go wrong.

-Marc

PeterA

I use my CFV11 on a 200 and a 500 series body the 205TCC pictured has been modified to take the CFV backs - no cable - sweet files in fat light.

yaya

The best advice I can give you is to see the screen for yourself. I used to shoot Aptus 75S and had the opportunity to play with a friend's new 40 MP Aptus and for me the screen resolution was inadequate to judge focus. I wouldn't hold this against the Aptus... (which I have fond memories of) since that's been my experience with all the backs with the exception of the Leica S2. I'm sure others will chime in here if their opinions differ.
I agree about trying for yourself,

AFAIK, the Aptus is the only digital imaging device that uses the raw data to produce the screen preview when viewed at 100% (1:1). Meaning that when you zoom in, it goes to the raw file and generates a small preview taken from a certain section, it also uses the selected sharpening settings for that preview (as well as the ICC profile and contrast curve)

Indeed it can take some "learning" and the resolution is not fantastic but in my experience this is the ONLY camera I can trust for judging focus. YMMV

yair

PS there's a recent review of the 7 on Ken Rockwell's site

O

Optechs Digital

Regards

Neil
This video shows just a few of the onboard features of the Leaf Aptus II backs including focus checking. I believe the Aptus II screens to be perfectly reliable and easy to use for checking focus, exposure, etc...

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OptechsDigital#p/u/7/89alF8AaYKY

Best,
Paul

Double Negative

Not Available
I just recently picked up a CFV16 for my 503CW... Absolutely love the integration and the system is very easy to understand/use. With a simple "click" it brought the ol' gal right up to date. Haven't had the chance to really stretch its legs yet, but so far - the IQ is very impressive. Gotta love "fat pixels," true 16-bit files and 12-stop DR. What a difference from the 35mm world.

T

tetsrfun

Re:CFV and "V" series...I am a happy owner of a CFV which I purchased shorty after introduction in order to get my "V" system stuff out of the closet. I now use it with 503CW, 203 Fe and SWC (with sync cable).

To continue the "retro" theme, USPS delivered a Flexbody last PM. I have been unable to get it to work with the CFV. As there have been many reports of using the CFV 16 and 39 with the Flexbody, I am obviously doing something incorrectly. I have set the CFV to flash sync, connected cable to lens, cock the Flexbody and then do a two "stage" release with a 3-4 sec delay between first shutter closure and "exposure". The same lens, cable, CFV combination functions properly in flash sync mode on the 503 and cable/back on the SWC. The back doesn't seem to "wake-up". I shot tethered with Phocus and can do live view, focus, two stage release and an image appears transiently but is not recorded.

All of the "V" system bodies that I have, with the exception of the Flexbody have the rear "pin" that interacts with the CFV, is this an issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

dorigatti

for Yaya

>>The Leaf Aptus-II 7 is currently promoted for the V-Series at €9,995 in Europe, leaving a couple of thousands for a new laptop:)

And yes it can be rotated on the camera>>

On the EyesonMedia website the Aptus II 7 is listed at Eu 13,995. Also the only back that rotates seems to be the Aptus II 10. Would you explain? Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the informative replies.

Geoff

The AFI II 7 features the same rotating sensor solution as the AFI II 10, but with less resolution. Works like a dream.

yaya

for Yaya

>>The Leaf Aptus-II 7 is currently promoted for the V-Series at €9,995 in Europe, leaving a couple of thousands for a new laptop:)

And yes it can be rotated on the camera>>

On the EyesonMedia website the Aptus II 7 is listed at Eu 13,995. Also the only back that rotates seems to be the Aptus II 10. Would you explain? Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the informative replies.
Scroll down a bit on that page and you'll see that the Aptus-II 7 for V series camera I currenty offered at €9,995.

The back can be mounted onto the back of the body in either vertical or horizontal position. The Aptus-II 10R, in V mount indeed allows you to rotate the sensor inside the back.

Geoff

The sensors rotates inside the AFi II 7 back like the AFi II 10? Are you sure of that?

-Marc
Confusion here. The Leaf AFI II 7 rotates internally. The Leaf Aptus II does not, except for the 10R model. Sorry for the complication.