Site Sponsors

Thread: Hasslblad V CFV 39

Post Thanks / Like

Hasslblad V CFV 39

Hello! This is my first post so greetings to you all and thank you for your support and input.

I live in Holland and I just retired as a pro (Nikon digital). I want to bring my Hasselbad V system out of retirement. I have several bodies and most lenses. Everything is in "like new" condition. Reading the posts here I sense most people recommend moving to the Hasselblad HD system yet I am reluctant to mothball my V stuff. So I am looking to invest in a digital back. My budget is around Euro 12,000 (US$ 15,000) and I would prefer to buy from a dealer in Europe for service and warranty reasons. I do general and travel photography with some macro work.

I hear the CFV 39 is good but cannot be rotated whereas the Phase One can be. Is this true? However I believe the comparable Phase One costs a lot more although it has the same specs. I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hasslblad V CFV 39

I will follow this thread. I'm curious what the responses will be like. I don't have any and probably never will. I'm stuck with my EOS (and very happy) system and spending my money on L glass. (No chance to save for digital MF).
    Good luck.
    Eduardo

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by dorigatti View Post
    Hello! This is my first post so greetings to you all and thank you for your support and input.

I live in Holland and I just retired as a pro (Nikon digital). I want to bring my Hasselbad V system out of retirement. I have several bodies and most lenses. Everything is in "like new" condition. Reading the posts here I sense most people recommend moving to the Hasselblad HD system yet I am reluctant to mothball my V stuff. So I am looking to invest in a digital back. My budget is around Euro 12,000 (US$ 15,000) and I would prefer to buy from a dealer in Europe for service and warranty reasons. I do general and travel photography with some macro work.

I hear the CFV 39 is good but cannot be rotated whereas the Phase One can be. Is this true? However I believe the comparable Phase One costs a lot more although it has the same specs. I would greatly appreciate any advice.
    The Leaf Aptus-II 7 is currently promoted for the V-Series at 9,995 in Europe, leaving a couple of thousands for a new laptop:-)

And yes it can be rotated on the camera

Speak to Rob van der Linden at Eyes On Media in Amsterdam

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Post Thanks / Like

Hi,

I have two arguments that speak for the CFV (be it 16 or 39):
    1. End-User Experience, and here I mean the fact that the CFV
    integrates well with both the 500 and 200 (with some modification)
    bodies. You DON'T NEED any sync cable from the lens to back.
    2. Phocus software and lens correction for Zeiss glass. The Hasselblad
    Raw Converter software offers lens corrections for even some of the older
    Zeiss glass, a feature that work quite well (at least with my wife CFV16,
    can't speak for the CFV39).

And then, I'm still impressed by the "look" of the images produced by the
    CFV16 back, it is sooo special. If you have a chance to test one, i would
    give that a try before buying into the CFV39, but that is of course just
    personal opinion.

Best Regards,
    Ralf

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

How about the Leaf Aptus-II 7 screen ? Does that have any advantages ? Does it make it easier to confirm that a shot has correct focus ? is there any workflow advantages gained from the large screen ?

The Leaf Aptus-II 5 also seems to be very reasonably priced. Many people like the Dallas Chip.
    Can anyone point me to any reviews or user experiences with this back

Regards

Neil
    Last edited by neil; 23rd July 2010 at 05:39. Reason: added Aptus 5 question

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post
    How about the Leaf Aptus-II 7 screen ? Does that have any advantages ? Does it make it easier to confirm that a shot has correct focus ? is there any workflow advantages gained from the large screen ?

The Leaf Aptus-II 5 also seems to be very reasonably priced. Many people like the Dallas Chip.

Regards

Neil
    The best advice I can give you is to see the screen for yourself. I used to shoot Aptus 75S and had the opportunity to play with a friend's new 40 MP Aptus and for me the screen resolution was inadequate to judge focus. I wouldn't hold this against the Aptus... (which I have fond memories of) since that's been my experience with all the backs with the exception of the Leica S2. I'm sure others will chime in here if their opinions differ.

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

i used the cfv-16 with the 205TCC. loved it, loved the sq sensor, felt i needed more resolution and a more modern sensor

switched to the cfv-39, much better, but only if printing large and/or moire problems. hated the rectangular choice, but no reason you can't crop to sq and always shoot landscape mode (the default). would have preferred portrait mode by default and then stitching to sq, for really huge files.

finally moved to the H3-39

have found that the rotated camera for portrait mode is a PIA, even with the RRS right angle bracket. I am thinking of masking/cropping to sq and ignoring the extra pixels

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I used the CFV/16 for many years. I also used other backs on the V camera that required a PC connection cord.

The CFV 16 or 39 are totally integrated with the V cameras and eliminate the PC cord from lens to back ... PC cords are the weak link in any system where ever they are used, so if you go that route get a lot of PC cords (preferably with gold connections) and a tip conditioner. Most any issues I ever had with digital backs on a V camera were due to PC cord issues.

A nice advantage is that a 200 camera can be used ... including use of all your leaf shutter V lenses while providing in camera metering.

The CFV/39 cannot be rotated ... but you can select square or rectangular format. I believe the square is 28 meg. The rectangular format is valuable for wide shots like with a 40mm ... but I found shooting a wide angle in portrait orientation to be pretty rare.

The Phocus software DAC corrections for the Zeiss V lenses cannot be under-played. Simply amazing, and makes the excellent Zeiss optics even better.

Lastly, are you aware that every leaf shutter V lens you have will work on a H3D/39 using the CF Adapter? All these lenses are preprogramed into all H cameras, and CFE lenses automatically index for metering.

Lastly in favor of the CFV, it looks like a V film back with chrome edging and matching design.

However, all of the backs produce stunning image quality. It's hard to go wrong.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I use my CFV11 on a 200 and a 500 series body the 205TCC pictured has been modified to take the CFV backs - no cable - sweet files in fat light.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    The best advice I can give you is to see the screen for yourself. I used to shoot Aptus 75S and had the opportunity to play with a friend's new 40 MP Aptus and for me the screen resolution was inadequate to judge focus. I wouldn't hold this against the Aptus... (which I have fond memories of) since that's been my experience with all the backs with the exception of the Leica S2. I'm sure others will chime in here if their opinions differ.
    I agree about trying for yourself,

AFAIK, the Aptus is the only digital imaging device that uses the raw data to produce the screen preview when viewed at 100% (1:1). Meaning that when you zoom in, it goes to the raw file and generates a small preview taken from a certain section, it also uses the selected sharpening settings for that preview (as well as the ICC profile and contrast curve)

Indeed it can take some "learning" and the resolution is not fantastic but in my experience this is the ONLY camera I can trust for judging focus. YMMV

yair

PS there's a recent review of the 7 on Ken Rockwell's site

Optechs Digital

Quote Originally Posted by neil View Post

Regards

Neil
    This video shows just a few of the onboard features of the Leaf Aptus II backs including focus checking. I believe the Aptus II screens to be perfectly reliable and easy to use for checking focus, exposure, etc...

Hope this helps.

http://www.youtube.com/user/OptechsD.../7/89alF8AaYKY

Best,
    Paul

Not Available
    Post Thanks / Like

I just recently picked up a CFV16 for my 503CW... Absolutely love the integration and the system is very easy to understand/use. With a simple "click" it brought the ol' gal right up to date. Haven't had the chance to really stretch its legs yet, but so far - the IQ is very impressive. Gotta love "fat pixels," true 16-bit files and 12-stop DR. What a difference from the 35mm world.

tetsrfun

Re:CFV and "V" series...I am a happy owner of a CFV which I purchased shorty after introduction in order to get my "V" system stuff out of the closet. I now use it with 503CW, 203 Fe and SWC (with sync cable).

To continue the "retro" theme, USPS delivered a Flexbody last PM. I have been unable to get it to work with the CFV. As there have been many reports of using the CFV 16 and 39 with the Flexbody, I am obviously doing something incorrectly. I have set the CFV to flash sync, connected cable to lens, cock the Flexbody and then do a two "stage" release with a 3-4 sec delay between first shutter closure and "exposure". The same lens, cable, CFV combination functions properly in flash sync mode on the 503 and cable/back on the SWC. The back doesn't seem to "wake-up". I shot tethered with Phocus and can do live view, focus, two stage release and an image appears transiently but is not recorded.

All of the "V" system bodies that I have, with the exception of the Flexbody have the rear "pin" that interacts with the CFV, is this an issue? Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

Post Thanks / Like

for Yaya

>>The Leaf Aptus-II 7 is currently promoted for the V-Series at 9,995 in Europe, leaving a couple of thousands for a new laptop:-)

And yes it can be rotated on the camera>>

On the EyesonMedia website the Aptus II 7 is listed at Eu 13,995. Also the only back that rotates seems to be the Aptus II 10. Would you explain? Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the informative replies.
    pbase.com/dorigatti

Post Thanks / Like

The AFI II 7 features the same rotating sensor solution as the AFI II 10, but with less resolution. Works like a dream.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    The AFI II 7 features the same rotating sensor solution as the AFI II 10, but with less resolution. Works like a dream.
    The sensors rotates inside the AFi II 7 back like the AFi II 10? Are you sure of that?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for Yaya

>>The Leaf Aptus-II 7 is currently promoted for the V-Series at 9,995 in Europe, leaving a couple of thousands for a new laptop:-)

And yes it can be rotated on the camera>>

On the EyesonMedia website the Aptus II 7 is listed at Eu 13,995. Also the only back that rotates seems to be the Aptus II 10. Would you explain? Thank you.

Thanks to everyone for the informative replies.
    Scroll down a bit on that page and you'll see that the Aptus-II 7 for V series camera I currenty offered at 9,995.

The back can be mounted onto the back of the body in either vertical or horizontal position. The Aptus-II 10R, in V mount indeed allows you to rotate the sensor inside the back.

Post Thanks / Like

for Yaya

As far as I can see, the only Leaf back on EyesOnMedia site offered for Eu 9995 is the LEAF APTUS-II 6 M645 (28MP/44X33). Could you send me the link for the Aptus 7 II for 9995?

Thanks

this is the link I accessed:

http://www.eyesonmedia.nl/webshop/di...nden/leaf.html
    pbase.com/dorigatti

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    The sensors rotates inside the AFi II 7 back like the AFi II 10? Are you sure of that?

-Marc
    Confusion here. The Leaf AFI II 7 rotates internally. The Leaf Aptus II does not, except for the 10R model. Sorry for the complication.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

for Yaya

As far as I can see, the only Leaf back on EyesOnMedia site offered for Eu 9995 is the LEAF APTUS-II 6 M645 (28MP/44X33). Could you send me the link for the Aptus 7 II for 9995?

Thanks

this is the link I accessed:

http://www.eyesonmedia.nl/webshop/di...nden/leaf.html
    Leaf hot summer deals

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Confusion here. The Leaf AFI II 7 rotates internally. The Leaf Aptus II does not, except for the 10R model. Sorry for the complication.
    I admit it, I am confused about Leaf products.

Is the Leaf AFi II 7 camera/back an available product? If so, are the AF lenses available for it?

If available for purchase, this would be a fantastic kit. The AFi camera is state of the art ... and with an internally rotating 33 meg sensor would make a terrific choice for those that prefer a waist level finder ... while still offering a prism finder.

Can an AFi II 7 digital back with rotating sensor be used on a tech camera? Or a RZ camera?

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

The AFI situation is not immediately simple to understand - but it works simply once you slug through it:

There are two things - the camera body and the backs. The camera, originally called the Hy6 and made by Rollei, was available with three minor variations - and different names on its front - Rollei, SInar and Leaf AFI. They are basically the same.

First, the Rollei Hy6 camera and lenses are still available through DHW; the Sinar one may be available as well through Sinar. I don't believe they are availalble from Leaf. They are however essentially compatible with the Leaf AFI camera system.

AF lenses are still available from DHW - from stock. To my knowledge, they aren't making new ones, but there are still some on hand (nice pricing too).

The backs for the camera system (all 3 named versions) are two - the Sinar versions and the Leaf. The basic things, such as lenses and finders work readily on all three versions.As to film - DHW is planning to introduce a 6x6 film back for the camera (the 645 version has been avail) and that works on all versions.

Digital backs are a bit more intricate: the Leaf backs for the AFI/Hy6 family are called AFI backs, and are not generally available new (to my knowledge). There are still some backs around - in the used or almost new condition, and perhaps some in the pipeline are available. Keep in mind that there were several Leaf backs made for the camera - a 5, 6, 7, 10, and a II 7, and II 10 (which were the rotating backs). All will work. Sinar backs can also be considered.

Use of the AFI back on view cameras - the following has been stated:
    "There are adapter plates for Cambo, Mamiya RZ, any 4x5 inch with Graflok, and Alpa.
    Most of the view camera manufacturers made adapters for the AFi backs or they still have some stock left: Arca Swiss, ALPA, Silvestri, Cambo, Linhof, KaptureGroup and MerginX.

The only medium format camera that the Afi backs can be mounted onto are the Mamiya RZ (with a Leaf-made adapter) and AFi/ Hy6. It cannot be mounted on Hasselblad and/ or Bronica cameras."

The idea that your Leaf AFI back could just go right on an Alpa is an attractive (but expensive) path as well....

There may be another path to using the AFI/Hy6 backs via Sinar adapters, as they have their own line of adapters, and may provide more alternatives. I've no knowledge of how that works.

Finally - the relationship of a Leaf AFI back to a Rollei Hy6 (leaving the Sinar out of the discussion, but I believe it is the same as the Rollei): The Leaf AFI backs physically mount and function fine on Leaf versions of the Hy6 cameras (called Leaf AFI cameras). They will also fit and work on the Rollei Hy6 version of the camera just fine (and probably also the Sinar version, but I haven't done that). All these cameras are physically the same. The lenses are totally compatible across the entire platform, as are all accessories. The changes between the camera bodies (between the Rollei, Leaf and Sinar versions ) are very minor - two that I know of - the nameplate and the battery used in the camera. This is a minor detail, but might matter for some. There are different ways to power the back - either through just the one battery in the camera, or with a second battery on the back (for longer life).

The Rollei Hy6 (and I believe the Sinar too) typically takes a different battery in its handle than the Leaf AFI. If you are planning on using a Leaf back, the easiest and most flexible answer is to have the Hy6 use the same Leaf battery in the camera, so that you only need to take one kind of battery with you. Its not the end of the world if this is not the case - but it is better and simpler.

The Leaf AFI already was modified originally in that way. Fear not - DHW will physically modify the Rollei Hy6 version (which they will sell you) of the camera to accept the Leaf battery and at that point, the Rollei Hy6 is like a Leaf AFI. WIthout that, they integrate and work just fine, but then you would need to deal with two battery types. Not earthshattering, but worth noting.

The Leaf version of the camera (Leaf AFI) is not generally available new. So then if you are interested in the system - find a back first. If you find a Leaf back, then get a camera from DHW (modified for the Leaf type battery). Many lenses (AF too) can be gotten new from them, or in the open market second hand. Then you are good to go.

Hope this helps and sorry for the lengthy answer.

Geoff

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks much for the detailed explanation. No detail is to great.

I once had a Leaf Aptus 7s on a Mamiya AFD-II ... a digital back I loved, on a camera with lenses that I hated for the work I do. The Forum Member that bought it proves that it wasn't the gear as much as the application.

I did test the Leaf AFi in hopes of an upgrade, but Leaf was stubborn about taking my Aptus 75s in trade for an AFi, and the Aptus back could not be upgraded to an AFi mount. At the time, there was no rotation type mount with the AFi 7 back on the AFi camera, and no rotating sensor solution either.

It appears many of those issues were addressed, but unfortunately to late for any interest on my part. Then it all went south with the Rollie situation ... a true shame IMHO.

Thanks again for the update ... love the history of these special camera systems.

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

Yair:
    Any chance that Leaf would ever make an R version of the Aptus II 7 for the V's? (without increasing price much, he he).
    That would be awsome and another slap on Hasselblad's face!
    Eduardo

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    Scroll down a bit on that page and you'll see that the Aptus-II 7 for V series camera I currenty offered at 9,995.

The back can be mounted onto the back of the body in either vertical or horizontal position. The Aptus-II 10R, in V mount indeed allows you to rotate the sensor inside the back.

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb Re: Hasslblad V CFV 39 is awesome

...I would prefer to buy from a dealer in Europe for service and warranty reasons.
    I hear the CFV 39 is good but cannot be rotated...
    Hi,

I bought a CFV-39 about three months ago, and I love it. The results are absolutely awesome. I'm using it on a 555ELD body and it's fully integrated, with no external cabling issues.

You will need to buy from a local(?) dealer. The Hasselblad warranty specifies that all factory service must go through the dealer from whom you purchased the equipment.

It's true that the CFV-39 cannot be rotated relative to the camera body, but the camera and back together can certainly be rotated on the tripod. Works just fine.

Good shooting!

- Leigh

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I have had a Hasselblad V CFV39 for around six months and am getting on really well with it. I use it on a 553ELX, 503cx and a 203fe and all works without any external cables. I really like using the 30mm Fisheye lens and then using the Phocus Lens Profiles to correct the distortions. Lens profiles are available for most of the v lens and work very well.

For the past couple of months I have been using the Hasselblad CFV39 on a Mamiya RZ pro 2. The only cable needed is a wake up cable for the digital back. The digital back can be rotated on the Mamiya RZ pro 2.

The second hand price of Mamiya RZ equipment is so low these days. I picked up most of the Mamiya RZ lens at a 90% discount to retail. Ten lens cost me the same as one of my Hasselblad V lens. I cannot believe the value/performance price ratio for these Mamiya RZ lens.

Regards

Neil