The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Murphy's Law and Customer Service

Don Libby

Murphy's Law is alive and well.

A short time ago I got what I feel was a smoking hot deal on a WRS Viewfinder (paid $450) and then contacted Dave at Capture Integration for a viewfinder for my 35mm.

I got the package for the 35mm mask Wednesday and upon opening the little box I found it empty! It was shipped from Cambo that way. I called Dave right away and true to form he sent a replacement out right away after first opening the box to make certain it contained the mask. The only thing Dave has asked of me was to shoot a couple images of the box so he could contact Cambo.

This is just yet another example of finding the right dealer. Yes I understand he did the right thing however it could have gone differently; such as asking for the return of the box before shipping a new one.

etrump

Whoever is making those viewfinder masks is seriously impaired. My 35mm mask had fingerprints glued into it.

Like you, Capture integration quickly resolved my issue.

Don Libby

Mr. Murphy struck once again however in a positive way. Fed Ex tracking had shown a delivery on Monday however for some reason it arrived safe and sound early on Friday. I'll be trying it out this week in the White Mountains.

Don

Oh and no smudges! :thumbup:

thomas

Whoever is making those viewfinder masks is seriously impaired. My 35mm mask had fingerprints glued into it.
the accessories of Cambo are not exactly great. unfortunately. The core elements of my kit are very good and accurate (i.e. camera, geared movements, camera interface, lens panel), however I could imagine a better groundglass, a better finder (brighter and less distortion... although I don't really care here), a support for a compendium and/or lens shade, a better lens for the flexible focussing hood.
All these accessories actually work... but they lower the shooting experience with this otherwise very decent camera.

Last edited:

Don Libby

I don't think it's been a secret how much I like and enjoy using the Cambo WRS1000; I've also admitted to its faults as well. I had first thought of buying the viewfinder when I first placed the order however Chris and I spoke on the subject at great length and in the end I just wasn't willing to spend that kind of money. Later on I opted on the groundglass for use not so much as a focusing tool rather as an aid to help me see filter placement; ended up not using it enough to justify keeping it. I also found what I feel was a great deal on a slightly used viewfinder and ended up buying it for just about 1/2 the cost of a new one.

I totally agree the groundglass could be better as is a need for a better focusing hood; while the hood works it could be much better. I did come up with a great work around on the lens shade by using a flair buster.

This is getting away from my original post and heading into the area of what I've learned in my use of the Cambo. :D

Don

thomas

This is getting away from my original post and heading into the area of what I've learned in my use of the Cambo. :D
why not?! ;)

I use the arTec lens shade on my WRS:

it fits on Sinar lens adapter rings (available for all the lenses):

they also offer a white shading diffusor that fits on the lens adapter rings (so that you don't have to hold that *'$%&/| plexi plate in your hands to shoot the sensor cast calibration files):

there are also lens caps that fit on the lens adapter rings so that you don't have to remove the lens adpater rings from the lenses.

really works like charm!
however it would be not badly to get something similar directly from Cambo.

kdphotography

Great, Thomas. Now Don has three more items to buy that he either has to hide or explain to Sandy... :ROTFL:

Last edited:

Don Libby

Looks like you removed the bumpers from the lens. I've decided to leave mine on since I shoot outdoors and while I've not needed them I'd rather have them on and never need them than not have them and wish I had.

All that said I like your solution using the arTec lens shade as it looks like it'd been more stable in high winds. Will that fit with the bumpers on?

Don

thomas

Looks like you removed the bumpers from the lens. I've decided to leave mine on since I shoot outdoors and while I've not needed them I'd rather have them on and never need them than not have them and wish I had.

All that said I like your solution using the arTec lens shade as it looks like it'd been more stable in high winds. Will that fit with the bumpers on?

Don
the photo is from Sinar site and shows the arTec with the lens shade.
But, yes, I removed the bumpers from the lens.
I think the lens shade would also work in conjunction with the bumpers.
Wait a second, I'll have a look at it ...

... ... ... ...

... ... ... ...

yes, the lens adapter rings are well exposed before the bumpers (this goes for the Digitar 47XL... but I think the bumpers are longer/shorter to match the size of the respective lens - or in other words: as long as the bumpers are a tad shorter than the lens, the adater rings will fit).

Yes, it works quite good even if it's a bit windy.
The great thing is that you really increase the contrast (of the capture) as you can push the flat side-panels half over the lens at large movements (you'll need a groundglass to control it ... or simply tape marks on the shade, what I've unfortunately not yet managed to do... :)

thomas

here's a quick snap shot of the lens shade with the panel on the right hand moved over the lens when the back is shifted 20mm lateral (47XL lens here). around one third of the lens is covered. that really adds to the contrast!

thomas

a few more snap shots showing the functionality of the lens shade... (for those who might be interessted in this piece):

- of course you can adjust each of the panels
- the lens shade is rotatable on the lens adapter ring
- you can remove the side panels if required

the dimensions are roughly the same as the WRS body - about the same height but a bit wider than the camera...

another option are the Alpa Pro Lens shades:
http://www.alpa.ch/de/products/lenses/pro-lens-shades/pro-lens-shade7075.html

different approach and less functionality but certainly a very nice lightweight solution. Seems they are not availalble for all the lenses (?). Too, I am unsure if they also work in conjunction with a center filter (the arTech lens shade can be mounted directly on the lens or on the center filter... you just need another lens adapter ring fitting the diameter of the center filter).
Think I'd like to have one for my 70mm lens...

I would guess there are also other offerings (to be attached on the filter threading of the lenses)...?!

Don Libby

Thomas, many thanks for the additional images and thoughts. I shoot with a 35, 72 and 120 and keep a center filter on both the 35 and 72. I also use extreme movements most of the time so I have doubts this would really work for me. It has nevertheless given me thoughts...

Don

thomas

You're welcome!
It's a real pitty that those items are not easily available. You could simply run a test if it's working out for you.
It's much easier here in Germany to order Sinar items...