Site Sponsors

Thread: How best to configure a camera for Phase one P65+

jessehe

How best to configure a camera for Phase one P65+

What's the best camera configure for P65+?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: How best to configure a camera for Phase one P65+

what's the best car for Pirelli tires?

Post Thanks / Like

Well, Marc----do you wanna go first, or should I?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

And then I'll chime in with my .02, and Peter (both of them) can follow me with theirs, then Bob. Then Guy will wrap it up in one of his one-paragraph summaries.

Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Okay, all jesting aside. Simple answer is to demo both cameras (Hassy H and Phase DF) at your dealer, shooting tethered and un-tethered with a wide, normal and tele and then work the files. After all that you'll know which camera is right for you

Once you have that decided, we can then give suggestions on how we each "configure" the customizable features on our respective body choices.

Good news is there is no right or wrong answer, just one that is better for you and your style and needs than the other.

Cheers,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

jessehe

I mean, how to best play its high-resolution

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jessehe View Post
    I mean, how to best play its high-resolution
    clearly a view camera / tech camera with Rodenstock HR or Schneider Digitar lenses

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Do you mean what different cameras can you use with a P65+ ... or how do you set up a Phase camera and which lenses?

If the latter, the latest Phase camera with all the available LS lenses to take advantage of the dual shutter ability is how I would configure the system.

If a different camera with the Phase P65+ you'd have to go for a H2. Personally, I sure the heck would NOT get a now discontinued Hasselblad H2 for that $40K back. First off, without a Hassey digital back and Phocus software, you can't use the HCD/28.. or HCD/35-90 on a H2 and get all the DAC corrections. In fact, not sure, but I don't think you can use those lenses at all.

That would be moving forward with the digital back while moving backward with the camera and limiting your lens options.

Per Jack's suggestion ... study, test drive, and compare both 60 meg systems from Hasselblad and Phase One on their best current cameras .... then make a decision which best fits your needs. While you are at it consider the 56 meg Leaf Aptus 10R (depending on your applications).

-Marc

Post Thanks / Like

There are many options to using the P65+ and the "right choice" is mostly dependent on personal needs and choice. Tech cameras with Rodenstock/Schneider lenses really take advantage of the P65+ capabilities, but the platform may/may not be what you need for your work. New Phase DF fits me fine. See Chris Barrett's post on his Rm3d set-up.

Unfortunately, there are a lot of other investments that just go hand-in-hand with your P65+---some of which may not be so apparent when you first make the MFDB investment.
    For example, don't forget a good stable tripod and head. The Gitzo 3 and 5 series CF tripods are a safe bet. The Arca Swiss Cube is a favored head. (Hey Jack/Guy, where's the GetDPI special edition Arca Swiss Cube?) And computer power---more RAM and storage concerns.

A good dealer can help you make the right decisions/answer questions. If you're in the States, give Capture Integration in Atlanta or Miami a call. www.captureintegration.com

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, I might not own a P65+ however I do play one on TV. It's early in the morning and I haven't had all my coffee...

You need to factor in the image quality of the P65 which is huge. Ken and Jack have been "getting by" using their Phase camera and lenses (I'm snickering here) rather well. However if it were I, I would use a technical camera with either Schneider or Rodenstock lenses. And that's just half the equation...

Higher rez images require a substantial working platform of tripod and head (the soon to be released GetDpi special edition Cube is what I recommend ). Then there's the additional computing power that'll be required to adequately process the images; I'd figure on 24-32 GB RAM to start. Also don't forget about the speed of the hard drives.

Lastly you need to do a gut check on why you want to P65 (as I've done). If you shoot multiple disciplines ranging from product, portrait, weddings and landscape then this would be a great fit as you'll use the P65 to its fullest. In my case being a landscape shooter I couldn't justify the additional cost of the P65 for features I wouldn't need nor use. The P40 and P45+ are both very great alternatives.

Lastly (yes I said that above but I really mean it this time) Ken is totally correct with his dealer comment. A good dealer will not only help you in your decision, he'll also help you avoid any costly mistakes. That said I echo Ken's recommendation of contacting Capture Integration.

Some of this might have been written tongue in cheek however the main points weren't; besides Guy will shortly respond with his summary.
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK, (yes I've had my coffee this morning :-).....I'm going to get in my 2 cents here and it differs a bit. I have a P65+ and use an H2 camera system and (important here) LEAF shutter lenses (no camera vibration from a focal plane shutter). Think Phase is now making leaf shutter lenses too). I use a 2540 gitzo carbon fiber tripod with a RRS 40 medium sized ball head (if the weather is really windy I have an RRS 55 head which is rock solid for challenging conditions). I have never had any stability issues. My most used H lenses are the50mm, 80mm, 100mm and occasionally the 210mm. (I also have the H35mm but the 50 is sharper)...... I don't go longer than 210mm.

I have never needed more tripod or head than what I mentioned and my images are razor sharp, provided my technique is acceptable (mirror lock up, solid ground, etc. (or as sharp as the lenses I use are capable of). I also recommend CI as a dealer)......Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by eleanorbrown View Post
    OK, (yes I've had my coffee this morning :-).....I'm going to get in my 2 cents here and it differs a bit. I have a P65+ and use an H2 camera system and (important here) LEAF shutter lenses (no camera vibration from a focal plane shutter). Think Phase is now making leaf shutter lenses too). I use a 2540 gitzo carbon fiber tripod with a RRS 40 medium sized ball head (if the weather is really windy I have an RRS 55 head which is rock solid for challenging conditions). I have never had any stability issues. My most used H lenses are the50mm, 80mm, 100mm and occasionally the 210mm. (I also have the H35mm but the 50 is sharper)...... I don't go longer than 210mm.

I have never needed more tripod or head than what I mentioned and my images are razor sharp, provided my technique is acceptable (mirror lock up, solid ground, etc. (or as sharp as the lenses I use are capable of). I also recommend CI as a dealer)......Eleanor
    I agree! The talk about the Cube and the large Gitzo tripods is a bit overdone here on the forum (above all as there are better tripods than the Gitzos...). Too, the beauty of the Cube is its sophisticated usablity... not the rigidity. Of course it's rigid... but so are other tripod heads as well. Especially with a small tech camera you won't have vibration issues even if you use much simpler gear.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post

You need to factor in the image quality of the P65 which is huge. Ken and Jack have been "getting by" using their Phase camera and lenses (I'm snickering here) rather well. However if it were I, I would use a technical camera with either Schneider or Rodenstock lenses.
    I've been shooting a p65+ on a PhaseOne DF for about a year now. I moved from a Hasselblad shooting a p45+. I wanted the back in integrate better with the body, and with the new firmware the DF/p65+ has taken this to a new level, including setting the camera from the nice large LCD on the back. I love the setup and the quality.

However, I just took delivery of an Alpa 12max along with the Schneider Apo-Digitar 35 and 47mm XL lenses, and a rodenstock Digaron HR W 70mm. (a couple more lenses on the way).

I was blown away by the difference in sharpness using this vs. the PhaseOne Camera. I haven't shot any side by sides, but the detail and crispness of images in the first couple of shoots is apparent, and imho, not insignificant.

Not cheap, and certainly a paradigm shift when shooting (although I actually enjoyed the deliberate and thoughtful effort it took to work with the technical camera).

I also believe using the cube for high end shooting is a dream ... I use it for both the Alpa and the PhaseOne. Some say it's overhyped, but I can't imaging spending tens of thousands of dollars on capture equipment, and then worry about saving a few hundred dollars on the device meant to hold it steady and make it functional.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Fox View Post
    I also believe using the cube for high end shooting is a dream ...
    it is... beyond doubt! but it's not the only tool to do what you call "high end shooting". it would be a poor world if there would be only one solution to solve certain problems...

Post Thanks / Like

I've been shooting a p65+ on a PhaseOne DF for about a year now. I moved from a Hasselblad shooting a p45+. I wanted the back in integrate better with the body, and with the new firmware the DF/p65+ has taken this to a new level, including setting the camera from the nice large LCD on the back. I love the setup and the quality.

However, I just took delivery of an Alpa 12max along with the Schneider Apo-Digitar 35 and 47mm XL lenses, and a rodenstock Digaron HR W 70mm. (a couple more lenses on the way).

I was blown away by the difference in sharpness using this vs. the PhaseOne Camera. I haven't shot any side by sides, but the detail and crispness of images in the first couple of shoots is apparent, and imho, not insignificant.

Not cheap, and certainly a paradigm shift when shooting (although I actually enjoyed the deliberate and thoughtful effort it took to work with the technical camera).
    In a studio environment where you can shoot a technical camera tethered, I think the marginal improvements in resolution over an Mamiya DF or H2 are possible to achieve in real world terms. However, in the field, where you cannot, as a practical matter, shoot tethered, the tech camera advantages become illusory for the simple reason that you cannot achieve precise focus. As anyone who has used a P65 can testify, the difference between precise focus and "guesstimate" focus using hyperfocal distance focusing is very significant. In order to extract the maximum resolution out of the P65, you really need to be able to focus bracket and merge the slices in something like Helicon Focus. (Shooting a brick wall at fixed distance is not a real world shooting experinece.) You simply can't precisely focus with a tech camera shooting untethered. Just like I cannot effectively compose with a tech camera using a lens on the wide or tele side. It's like a drive-by shooting experience similar to the experience of shooting with a point and shoot without a viewfinder where you "compose" on the LCD screen, and the landscape images I have seen taken with tech cameras look that way. Perhaps there are some people who really do "see" in the way a true wide angle or tele lens "sees", but I personally need to "see" the way the lens "sees" by looking through the lens.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by hcubell View Post
    In a studio environment where you can shoot a technical camera tethered, I think the marginal improvements in resolution over an Mamiya DF or H2 are possible to achieve in real world terms. However, in the field, where you cannot, as a practical matter, shoot tethered, the tech camera advantages become illusory for the simple reason that you cannot achieve precise focus.
    very true! Except: shooting at infinity. Or shooting the Arca Swiss Rm3d...
    Or shooting close distances that you can focus on the groundglass (as long as the GG is aligned accuratley... and as long as there is enoug light and contrast in the motif...).

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by thomas View Post
    very true! Except: shooting at infinity. Or shooting the Arca Swiss Rm3d...
    Or shooting close distances that you can focus on the groundglass (as long as the GG is aligned accuratley... and as long as there is enough light and contrast in the motif...).
    Sure, but isn't it quite limiting to only shoot photographs where you can focus at infinity? As for the use of a ground glass, I just don't think it is a real world solution to use in the field under adverse weather conditions where you are dealing with swirling sand, dust, snow and rain. Is it even possible to achieve accurate focus on a gg for a mfdb.
    Think about it this way. Have you ever seen a 4x5 or 8x10 shooter who walks up to a scene, mounts his camera on a tripod, loads the film and exposes the film, without ever composing and focusing on the ground glass?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Some say it's overhyped, but I can't imaging spending tens of thousands of dollars on capture equipment, and then worry about saving a few hundred dollars on the device meant to hold it steady and make it functional.
    I share the same feelings. I once bought a Sharps 45-110 for something like $4,500 and started to complain that I had to spend $200 for a sturdy case till I wised up..

You know of course I don't want to hear this! Here I've gone and said I really don't need/want the P65 and I have to hear this!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Sure, but isn't it quite limiting to only shoot photographs where you can focus at infinity? As for the use of a ground glass, I just don't think it is a real world solution to use in the field under adverse weather conditions where you are dealing with swirling sand, dust, snow and rain. Is it even possible to achieve accurate focus on a gg for a mfdb.
    Think about it this way. Have you ever seen a 4x5 or 8x10 shooter who walks up to a scene, mounts his camera on a tripod, loads the film and exposes the film, without ever composing and focusing on the ground glass?
    I think it depends a bit... I do use the ground glass ... but mostly just for composition. And that works quite good for me. I also use a laser distometer and learnt how to adjust the lens (on one lens I have also glued additional distance markers). I literally always shoot at f11 and f16 with the tech camera. I have no iusse focussing closer distances on the ground glass (but, of course, the wider the distance the harder the focussing on the GG). Finally you can always make some focus bracketing (which is a real PITA when stitching)...
    It's all quite cumbersome (compared to live view on a DSLR or compared to shooting tethered)... but for some reason it actually works.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

In a studio environment where you can shoot a technical camera tethered, I think the marginal improvements in resolution over an Mamiya DF or H2 are possible to achieve in real world terms. However, in the field, where you cannot, as a practical matter, shoot tethered, the tech camera advantages become illusory for the simple reason that you cannot achieve precise focus. As anyone who has used a P65 can testify, the difference between precise focus and "guesstimate" focus using hyperfocal distance focusing is very significant. In order to extract the maximum resolution out of the P65, you really need to be able to focus bracket and merge the slices in something like Helicon Focus. (Shooting a brick wall at fixed distance is not a real world shooting experinece.) You simply can't precisely focus with a tech camera shooting untethered. Just like I cannot effectively compose with a tech camera using a lens on the wide or tele side. It's like a drive-by shooting experience similar to the experience of shooting with a point and shoot without a viewfinder where you "compose" on the LCD screen, and the landscape images I have seen taken with tech cameras look that way. Perhaps there are some people who really do "see" in the way a true wide angle or tele lens "sees", but I personally need to "see" the way the lens "sees" by looking through the lens.
    Of course, you are assuming in a field shoot there is a specific area of the image that needs to be "precise". While this may be true of some types of images, in my brief experience (I'll admit being a noob) using hyperfocal distance or the ground glass worked out quite well. It's not like you can focus that critically with a Mamiya DF either ... I would refer you to Joseph Holmes article about that (http://www.josephholmes.com/news-med...precision.html) And if you really need large depth of field, focus bracketing is the way to go.

However, I think it's not just about focusing, it's about the sharpness of the optics in general. I'll admit this may be partially because I've tended to be a zoom lens guy, and now being forced to use only primes may be part of the difference. But I believe optics for cameras such as the Alpa from Rodenstock and Schneider are perhaps a major reason for the visual sharpness I'm seeing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You know of course I don't want to hear this! Here I've gone and said I really don't need/want the P65 and I have to hear this!
    I'm going to call BS on this, only cause I know you

We all know you WANT one. Whether you need it or not is another discussion! And getting it actually pretty easy, just do what Ken and I did... Call Dave and tell him to use the CC number on file. Then just give up your steak, wine and martinis, and eat Cheetos and drink Keystone for a few months.

Jack

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    I'm going to call BS on this, only cause I know you

We all know you WANT one. Whether you need it or not is another discussion! And getting it actually pretty easy, just do what Ken and I did... Call Dave and tell him to use the CC number on file. Then just give up your steak, wine and martinis, and eat Cheetos and drink Keystone for a few months.

Okay maybe partial BS. I was close to upgrading till I added the M9 which I felt I needed more. I've got a very good combination of gear right now and will reevaluate the need of the P65 early next year - of course Sandy keeps telling me she gets the next camera which in all likelihood will be the 1DsIV.

Just so you know, I'm sitting in the Tal-Wi-Wi Lodge in Alpine where I've been for the past couple days. The M9 and Cambo/P45+ are both getting a workout and I'm continually pleased with the results I'm getting from each; which makes it an even harder decision for me. While I know the P65 is several steps beyond the P45+ I'm still in that comfort zone (or maybe it's the honeymoon stage) where I like what it gives me so long as I do my part right. We'll be spending October in Jackson Hole shooting fall colors so I'll see where I'm at when we return.

Cheetos and Keystone? How 'bout peanut butter & jelly and cold duck?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Peanut butter or jelly.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephengilbert View Post
    Peanut butter or jelly.

While I know the P65 is several steps beyond the P45+ I'm still in that comfort zone (or maybe it's the honeymoon stage) where I like what it gives me so long as I do my part right. [/FONT]
    It's not "several steps" IMHO, rather a short half-step on detail and another half-step on color rendition.

You are very definitely not under-gunned with your P45+! Plus you can have Ken's P65+ when he upgrades to the P90+ in February... I am still coughing from my original P65+ purchase so I won't likely be upgrading mine for a few years at least.
    Jack

Post Thanks / Like

Plus you can have Ken's P65+ when he upgrades to the P90+ in February...
    I can actually honestly say that the P65+ is more than adequate for everything that I shoot 80% of the time; the Canon picks up the rest.

But for a landscape shooter, I just don't think the quest for more and more ever stops....

So that just means I'll be there as an enabler for Don when that P90+ comes out....

ken

p.s. C'mon Don---you have that nice Cambo RS with Schneider/Rodenstock lenses...everyone knows you can't possibly take advantage of those lenses without an adequate back....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You are kidding about a p90 right? The p65 is all I would ever need and more...especially since have been shooting with my m9 the last few months. I can't imagine needing more pixels than the 65! Eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by kdphotography View Post
    I can actually honestly say that the P65+ is more than adequate for everything that I shoot 80% of the time; the Canon picks up the rest.

But for a landscape shooter, I just don't think the quest for more and more ever stops....

So that just means I'll be there as an enabler for Don when that P90+ comes out....

ken

p.s. C'mon Don---you have that nice Cambo RS with Schneider/Rodenstock lenses...everyone knows you can't possibly take advantage of those lenses without an adequate back....

Subscriber & Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I am still coughing from my original P65+ purchase so I won't likely be upgrading mine for a few years at least.
    Something makes me want to copy and save this little gem - not that I would have reason to quote it in the near future, but you never know!

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ken

You are kidding about a p90 right? The p65 is all I would ever need and more...especially since have been shooting with my m9 the last few months. I can't imagine needing more pixels than the 65! Eleanor
    I have feeling that later in the future, you both will dump or replace that P65+ for larger [or buy and keep P65+], could be 80, 90,100 who knows, and when hearing someone saying he doesn't need any more pixels is just a joke or just to show he is not a pixel peeper or so, but then wen he upgrading even he still saying that 40-60mp is overkill then he should not talk at all and let others who are keep and still using 20-40mp now and later to talk about more mp is unnecessary.
    So if one of you or both don't need more mp, why you go with P65+ then, doesn't that P30+, P45+, P40+ enough for you?
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmb_ View Post
    Something makes me want to copy and save this little gem - not that I would have reason to quote it in the near future, but you never know!
    DO IT, those folks upgrading in no time, and you will see, if not next year then after next year, it never ends, believe me.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    I have feeling that later in the future, you both will dump or replace that P65+ for larger [or buy and keep P65+], could be 80, 90,100 who knows, and when hearing someone saying he doesn't need any more pixels is just a joke or just to show he is not a pixel peeper or so, but then wen he upgrading even he still saying that 40-60mp is overkill then he should not talk at all and let others who are keep and still using 20-40mp now and later to talk about more mp is unnecessary.
    So if one of you or both don't need more mp, why you go with P65+ then, doesn't that P30+, P45+, P40+ enough for you?
    For those of us currently enrolled in Guy's 12 step program in the Gear Slut support group, you're certainly not helping....

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Why in the world would I need more pixels than the 65+....??? The Leica M9 has helped me put things into perspective image quality wise. I have never printed huge anyway....24" X 30 or so is max for me. Mostly 16X24 or less. I have felt a sense of freedom with the mere 18mg pixels M9 which has made the huge pixel count 65+ look excessive. No I don't need any more pixels :-) eleanor

Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post

Post Thanks / Like

Eleanor is correct. I do not need any more than 39mp; I'm selling 40x50 prints without up-sizing. In fact, my 120 film prints are being reordered nearly every month in sizes ranging from 27x36 to 40x50 and I do not do any up-sizing whatsoever. It's not pixel count that matters, it's what you do with them; and for me, it's cash in the bank. Be well and have a good weekend.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    http://www.jecxz.com

Why in the world would I need more pixels than the 65+....??? The Leica M9 has helped me put things into perspective image quality wise. I have never printed huge anyway....24" X 30 or so is max for me. Mostly 16X24 or less. I have felt a sense of freedom with the mere 18mg pixels M9 which has made the huge pixel count 65+ look excessive. No I don't need any more pixels :-) eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jecxz View Post
    Eleanor is correct. I do not need any more than 39mp; I'm selling 40x50 prints without up-sizing. In fact, my 120 film prints are being reordered nearly every month in sizes ranging from 27x36 to 40x50 and I do not do any up-sizing whatsoever. It's not pixel count that matters, it's what you do with them; and for me, it's cash in the bank. Be well and have a good weekend.

Kind regards,
    Derek Jecxz
    http://www.jecxz.com
    I agree completely about more pixels for the sake of more pixels. However, what if that new 90mp back also had a gorgeous 3"-4" high resolution LCD with Live View?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

My major problem (or issue) with going with the P65 is that I'd be paying for some features I don't need nor would I use since I only shoot with the Cambo WRS; it would be a totally different issue if I still had my Phase AFD and assorted lenses.

Not sure that Ken will upgrade to next however I do know where he keeps the spare house key

I certainly hope we answered the orginal question on this thread
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Great, we will see when those MF brands will hit the markets with something 80-???mp, i hope i will not be here to see and hear people noveling about how awesome those new MFDBs are comparing to old one [P65+, H4D-50/60, LEAF 56,.....etc].
    Just i feel that 22-30mp were enough, but then if people go with 39/40/50/60 making it confusing why they upgrade if 20-30mp are enough.
    Tareq

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

Tareq

More megapixels isn't the only reason some people upgrade. I went from a perfectly good P30+ to a P45+ for the simple reason that the P30+ isn't suitable for a technical camera. There are others who made the upgrade to either the P40 or P65 for the added technical benefits both offer such as pixel binning.

For some of us its just the case of getting a newer/better tool.

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Shelby Lewis

Ok... I've figured it out... how about all you guys send me your gear and I'll test all the varying permutations and get back to the OP in a year or so with the answers.

I SWEAR you'll get your gear back... SWEAR!

Post Thanks / Like

I can see that being a factor for some, but not for me. I made photographs with a film back for years before going digital--no LCD then.

Kind regards,
    Derek

I agree completely about more pixels for the sake of more pixels. However, what if that new 90mp back also had a gorgeous 3"-4" high resolution LCD with Live View?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like

The last thing on my "to do", "got to have list" is the LCD. I use the screen on the P45+ to mainly check for highlights and more often than not the histogram. I agree it could be a bit larger but I wouldn't rush out to change it just for a larger screen. I feel the sensor is much more important aspect than the screen. Think back to film, there wasn't a screen to see what we did then and we got by okay. Sometimes I feel we've become too dependant on technology rather than skill.

As always just my 2

Don
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I second derek and don. I use the screen for highlights and histogram. I've never been bothered by the phase one screens....I was also a long time film user in a past life. Eleanor

Post Thanks / Like

I second derek and don. I use the screen for highlights and histogram. I've never been bothered by the phase one screens....I was also a long time film user in a past life. Eleanor
    That's all I use the LCD for on my Phase back. It's useless for anything else. I personally would love to have a large, high res LCD with Live View. I think of it as a digital Polaroid that I could use to carefully check critical focus and evaluate composition in the field. I find it really hard to make a compelling photograph. I need all the help I can get. I was long time skier on "pencil" skis in a past life, but I wouldn't think of skiing on anything other than shaped skis today.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

ken
    This seems to be where I"m at .. I just can't get enough.

A couple "reasons" (and I use that word pretty loosely, more a case of self justification). one, now that I'm using mostly primes, the ability to crop becomes more important. Most images will not utilize the full 59mp of my p65+.

Second, in the quest for quality I thought I was getting there until I visited Rodney Lough's gallery in city center Las Vegas and saw his images taken with 8x10 film ... I was completely amazed and will no longer claim my p65+ is even in the same game as these images. I'm no where close to that once I get to around 50", let alone larger sizes.

Not to mislead, it's not like I"m not pretty delighted with what I have now, but never can seem to get enough. I long for a camera that can provide me in a single capture an image will print a 72" pano that would be close to what 8x10 film can deliver.

That's not asking too much is it?