The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassy Extension tubes vs. 120mm macro

Professional

I forgot that i ordered 150 but from my film Hasselblad, it will be a bit different because it will be on 6x6 body, not 6x4.5, but it will not be that big different, and later i will see if that 150 on film will have much use over my digital 80/120 lenses.

P. Chong

I shoot a lot of macros, currently exclusively on the 80 + extension tubes...I have the 26 and 52.

I am quite happy with this combination, though am still going to buy the 120. (or trade with my 35 which in the Gear FS section.

Some examples of the shots here:

http://peter-chong.blogspot.com/search/label/Watches

All the posts were shot with H3D-39, 80, tubes except for the first one (lowest post) which was shot with 1dmk3/100macro.

Leigh

As an example of the level of detail available, this was shot with the Hasselblad 120mm Makro-Planar (no extension tubes) at ~3 feet from subject to film plane. This 640-pixel wide crop is about 1/12th of the original frame (7216 pixels wide). The watch measures about one inch from the 9 to the 3.

Note the hairs visible on the apple, running up across the seconds dial to the 10. Also note the dust spot on the seconds dial at 16, and other fine details of the watch.

(BTW... This is nowhere near in a league with Mr. Chong's outstanding watch photos. I'm just using it as example of the resolution of the lens.)

- Leigh

Last edited:

ptomsu

Workshop Member
I do not own the 120 but know it is an outstanding Macro lens. The reason I am hesitating to buy one is because I usually do not do so much macros anymore and I found it is very slow in AF - which is no surprise of course and it does not need to be fast AF.

Extension tubes for sure work and are a valuable and cheap solution, but I never could get friend of this type of work in the past. So I am also not considering for my MF system - has nothing to do with IQ!

Anyway, as my MF gear might very well become my one and only gear replacing my DSLR system, I might reconsider the purchase of a used 120 again ;)

P. Chong

apologies, I had decided to do revisits to some pics...and as a result, some pics were shot with Canon 1Dmk3. But H3D pics are labelled and the exif is intact. Almost all the watch macros were shot with either one or both extension tubes - H28 and H52.

I shoot a lot of macros, currently exclusively on the 80 + extension tubes...I have the 26 and 52.

I am quite happy with this combination, though am still going to buy the 120. (or trade with my 35 which in the Gear FS section.

Some examples of the shots here:

http://peter-chong.blogspot.com/search/label/Watches

All the posts were shot with H3D-39, 80, tubes except for the first one (lowest post) which was shot with 1dmk3/100macro.

Professional

I am very happy with 120 Macro lens, incredibly razor sharp, i hope to have fun with it more in the future.

Crop

H4D-60, the light i can't remember, either natural light of the room only[tungsten] or the built-in flash of H4D.