The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

H4D60 Macro Image

Hello,

An Elephant Hawk Moth (apparently!) came my way this afternoon.

A few images from the H4D60. Full frame and crops. 120 Macro Lens.

When Phocus 2.5.2 becomes available ill post a couple of Raws.

The JPG's are full frame and the TIFs are close ups.

David

Professional

Cool, finally you posted something more
Nice shots, the colors are nice and the quality is outstanding!
Thanks for posting.

6x7

thomas…. of course he did it with recompose AF… otherwise focus point would have been in the middle of the frame. right David ? in fact he probably did about 700 recompositions to nail it … :)))

thomas

thomas…. of course he did it with recompose AF… otherwise focus point would have been in the middle of the frame. right David ? in fact he probably did about 700 recompositions to nail it … :)))
:)
just thought he may refer to the first image only.
too, I wonder if the recompose af also works at such magnification / distance.
af is quite uncommon for macro work anyway...

1st image AF was pretty much in the centre so not much point using True Focus on that one.

For the others, yes.

I don't think I could have focussed manually unless using live view, which wasn't practical within time allowed. Ie was he going to fly off!

Manual Focus would have been tough in this case I think.

You can see how shallow DOF is. I would rather trust the AF.

D

gogopix

Subscriber
well if I go back to xpixel's S2 70mm quasi macro shots there is a LOT more detail and interest, DR just about everything. What am I mossing? is this this thing like 2mm long?
I have no vested inerest in either system, but have VERY seriously considered swithching to the H4 system as my Contax goes to camera Valhalla (I need a tech solution for my Alpa investment as well)

Victor

ustein

Contributing Editor
>af is quite uncommon for macro work anyway...

Why actually? Often everything kind of moves. In these cases I use Servo AF with my DSLRs.

xpixel

well if I go back to xpixel's S2 70mm quasi macro shots there is a LOT more detail and interest, DR just about everything.
Imagine there will be also a 120 mm macro for the S2 soon... not to mention about even more details... :)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
Re macro and AF: At the very least there is focus confirmation. I use AF confirmation with my Mamiya MF and macro and get superb results...

thomas

>af is quite uncommon for macro work anyway...

Why actually? Often everything kind of moves. In these cases I use Servo AF with my DSLRs.
you are right. I thought of focussing on a rail. But, of course, that only works with dead moths (i.e. with static subjects)

Jack

Sr. Administrator
Staff member
well if I go back to xpixel's S2 70mm quasi macro shots there is a LOT more detail and interest, DR just about everything. What am I mossing?
What I think is "missing" is what folks see as their definition for "sharp" or "detail" ...

Some folks view images with higher contrast as "sharper" than actually sharper images at lower contrast, while others see the differences in actual realized detail and claim the latter as "sharper" even though it's contrast is lower. (Some called the higher contrast images crunchier, while others claimed they were over-sharpened.)

Historically, Zeiss and Nikon took the former approach while Schneider and Leica took the latter. Rodenstock and Canon divided the baby in the middle. In recent years, Leica and Schneider have moved toward the middle-ground model with their newest glass bumping up contrast a bit at the expense of finest detail. With digital, this has all muddied as processing settings can alter the final detail-contrast weighting dramatically; folks often crank up "clarity" to this 'higher-contrast is sharper' effect.

In fact, higher contrast does make medium to lower spatial frequencies appear sharper, but all that is at the expense of higher frequency detail. The trick is where to balance; there is no point in having crisp detail if it is too small to be seen by the unaided eye at the enlargement output chosen.

So really, a "best processing" model should probably target the highest frequency that can be readily seen by a majority of human visual acutance ranges at the preferred enlargement. Tough order I think, so in practice most of us simply process to what we view as being "sharpest" -- and invariably there will be disagreements ...

My .02 only,