Site Sponsors

Thread: H4D60 Macro Image

Post Thanks / Like

H4D60 Macro Image

Hello,

An Elephant Hawk Moth (apparently!) came my way this afternoon.

A few images from the H4D60. Full frame and crops. 120 Macro Lens.

When Phocus 2.5.2 becomes available ill post a couple of Raws.

The JPG's are full frame and the TIFs are close ups.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: H4D60 Macro Image

Cool, finally you posted something more
    Nice shots, the colors are nice and the quality is outstanding!
    Thanks for posting.
    Tareq

Post Thanks / Like

Wow David, that is some good Shallow DOF in there, love it!

Post Thanks / Like

Love it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

me too - stunning!

Post Thanks / Like

What is the geographic location of this monster Moth?

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

you are such a teaser David. -

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Very impressive David.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all.

Yes, very shallow DOF. I really needed the AF to be spot on here.

Moth lives in the South of England.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    I really needed the AF to be spot on here.

did you use the recompose AF for the second shot?

Post Thanks / Like

thomas…. of course he did it with recompose AF… otherwise focus point would have been in the middle of the frame. right David ? in fact he probably did about 700 recompositions to nail it … :-)))

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 6x7 View Post
    thomas…. of course he did it with recompose AF… otherwise focus point would have been in the middle of the frame. right David ? in fact he probably did about 700 recompositions to nail it … :-)))

just thought he may refer to the first image only.
    too, I wonder if the recompose af also works at such magnification / distance.
    af is quite uncommon for macro work anyway...

Post Thanks / Like

1st image AF was pretty much in the centre so not much point using True Focus on that one.

For the others, yes.

I don't think I could have focussed manually unless using live view, which wasn't practical within time allowed. Ie was he going to fly off!

Manual Focus would have been tough in this case I think.

You can see how shallow DOF is. I would rather trust the AF.

D

Post Thanks / Like

nice shot. best design on a moth i've ever seen - hats off to mother nature.

Post Thanks / Like

well if I go back to xpixel's S2 70mm quasi macro shots there is a LOT more detail and interest, DR just about everything. What am I mossing? is this this thing like 2mm long?
    I have no vested inerest in either system, but have VERY seriously considered swithching to the H4 system as my Contax goes to camera Valhalla (I need a tech solution for my Alpa investment as well)

Victor

Post Thanks / Like

>af is quite uncommon for macro work anyway...

Why actually? Often everything kind of moves. In these cases I use Servo AF with my DSLRs.
    Uwe Steinmueller
    -------------------

Editor&Owner of Digital Outback Photo
    http://www.outbackphoto.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gogopix View Post
    well if I go back to xpixel's S2 70mm quasi macro shots there is a LOT more detail and interest, DR just about everything.
    Imagine there will be also a 120 mm macro for the S2 soon... not to mention about even more details... :-)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re macro and AF: At the very least there is focus confirmation. I use AF confirmation with my Mamiya MF and macro and get superb results...
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ustein View Post
    >af is quite uncommon for macro work anyway...

Why actually? Often everything kind of moves. In these cases I use Servo AF with my DSLRs.
    you are right. I thought of focussing on a rail. But, of course, that only works with dead moths (i.e. with static subjects)

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

well if I go back to xpixel's S2 70mm quasi macro shots there is a LOT more detail and interest, DR just about everything. What am I mossing?
    What I think is "missing" is what folks see as their definition for "sharp" or "detail" ...

Some folks view images with higher contrast as "sharper" than actually sharper images at lower contrast, while others see the differences in actual realized detail and claim the latter as "sharper" even though it's contrast is lower. (Some called the higher contrast images crunchier, while others claimed they were over-sharpened.)

Historically, Zeiss and Nikon took the former approach while Schneider and Leica took the latter. Rodenstock and Canon divided the baby in the middle. In recent years, Leica and Schneider have moved toward the middle-ground model with their newest glass bumping up contrast a bit at the expense of finest detail. With digital, this has all muddied as processing settings can alter the final detail-contrast weighting dramatically; folks often crank up "clarity" to this 'higher-contrast is sharper' effect.

In fact, higher contrast does make medium to lower spatial frequencies appear sharper, but all that is at the expense of higher frequency detail. The trick is where to balance; there is no point in having crisp detail if it is too small to be seen by the unaided eye at the enlargement output chosen.

So really, a "best processing" model should probably target the highest frequency that can be readily seen by a majority of human visual acutance ranges at the preferred enlargement. Tough order I think, so in practice most of us simply process to what we view as being "sharpest" -- and invariably there will be disagreements ...

My .02 only,
    Jack

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Jack,

Nice explanation. Interesting about the lenses (esp SK vs Leica). I am sure there is a balance for each and looking at 100% screen crops just compare with a good print.

I will be looking at he Hassey backs relative to the lenses (esp WA) on the Alpa if it is going to be a viable alternative to the Phase in the future, so I was surprised at the lack of punch (but then David may just have had an easy hand on the post processing.)

What is amazing is how we have moved from an image 'look' being controlled by film and papaer contrast, lenses etc. to a point where so much can be affected by post. Interesting times

regards
    Victor

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

What is amazing is how we have moved from an image 'look' being controlled by film and papaer contrast, lenses etc. to a point where so much can be affected by post. Interesting times
    I agree for sure. It seems once a lens is very good performer, post processing choices can basically neutralize subtleties (other than Bokeh) between brands to the point where they're unrecognizable in the end image. This has created it's own sort of reversal amongst some of us: we're looking for those older jewel lenses of less than stellar performance just to generate a certain look that cannot be replicated by post techniques alone. This is of course where having a focal plane shuttered body is an advantage for mounting purposes.
    Jack

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flesher View Post
    ... post processing choices can basically neutralize subtleties (other than Bokeh) between brands to the point where they're unrecognizable in the end image. This has created it's own sort of reversal amongst some of us: we're looking for those older jewel lenses of less than stellar performance just to generate a certain look that cannot be replicated by post techniques alone. This is of course where having a focal plane shuttered body is an advantage for mounting purposes.
    I expressed this same thought yesterday in the context of whether to choose the 35 cron or the 35 lux for my new M9. Aside from the bokeh wide open I think the end result with either lens will be indistinguishable AFTER I am done with my post processing.

Post Thanks / Like

well if I go back to xpixel's S2 70mm quasi macro shots there is a LOT more detail and interest, DR just about everything. What am I mossing? is this this thing like 2mm long?
    I have no vested inerest in either system, but have VERY seriously considered swithching to the H4 system as my Contax goes to camera Valhalla (I need a tech solution for my Alpa investment as well)

Victor
    Interesting? I am not suite sure what extra detail could be seen? Are the individual Hexagons on the eye of the moth not enough?

I am also not sure how you are assessing DR etc from a small JPG?

Anyway, Jack hits the nail on the head with his conclusions re lens differences and processing.

David