The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Sinar p-slr

emr

I wonder if this was already mentioned. Not medium format really, but a method for using your Canon or Nikon DSLR as a digital back with your medium format and view camera equipment.

Sinar p-slr

July, 2010: The Sinar p-slr was designed especially for photographers who would like to combine the convenience of digital single lens reflex cameras with the advantages and quality characteristics of a Sinar view camera. Exact control of perspectives and selective sharpness - the most important creative tools in photography - can be set and evaluated precisely on a view camera.

And now, Sinar also made all of these advantages available to the users of 35 mm SLR cameras. This well thought-out solution brings a significant enhancement of quality to users of 35mm cameras, because the high-resolution digital Rodenstock lenses can be used. The Sinar p-slr complies with the Sinar policy of offering photographers modular systems that are in keeping with the latest trends of the market. This upgrading set will be available as of August 2010 and it can be ordered right now at the price of 1980 Swiss Francs (not including the Value Added Tax).

routlaw

The success of these type systems depends much on what your intentions are and how you want to use them.

I don't have this particular setup, but have used the more or less equivalent in the Cambo Ultima 35 for years with my Nikon cameras. It works great with some limitations and a few cautions. As cumbersome as it is I have even taken this setup in the field a few times stitching files together for a much larger image and field of view. I much prefer camera lateral movements to rotational movements for stitching frames, its better in every way, and these cameras provide that with room to spare.

The advantages are this; use of LF & MF digital Rodenstock or Schneider lenses. Make no mistake Nikon or Canon have never made lenses like these. Even the film based lenses are superior in every way. These lenses will turn your DSLR into a different imaging device without a doubt. Plus you have the capability of image control with the various movements at the camera as well as the lens. It does take a bit of time to get used it and the image view is rather small but it does work well. IMO I feel these systems are better served in the studio or at least very controlled conditions, not in the field.

The disadvantages are this: no wide angle lenses can be used and in fact the 80 mm digitar lenses are about as short as you can go due to the flange distance at the back of the lens not clearing the mirror box. Dust, dust and more dust especially on location. This more than anything else is why I quit using mine in the field. The back and forth movement of the bellows sucks in dust landing on your sensor. Its not so bad in the studio but also not quite as well sealed as a Nikon D3/3x with Nikon pro lenses either. They are a heavy and somewhat cumbersome setup, more so than just LF film.

Hope this helps.

Rob

I wonder if this was already mentioned. Not medium format really, but a method for using your Canon or Nikon DSLR as a digital back with your medium format and view camera equipment.

thomas

I am always interessted in these solutions.
Looks very similar to the Arca Swiss M-Line II (slr).
A different approach is the Cambo X2-Pro System.

As far as my understanding goes these solution are much better than just adapting lenses and camera to a classical view camera as the rotation axis of the slr camera is aligned with the film plane here (unlike a dslr adapted to a classical view camera where the film plane is shifted back… correct me if I am wrong).

However I wonder about the practical value as far as lenses and movements go.
Due to the lens designs you can mount a 28mm lens, but movements are probably extremely limited with it.
Then there is a huge gap and the next doable focal lenghth is a 72mm and then longer lenses. These may provide larger movements, however I wonder how usable they are due to vignetting.

I guess it's a great tool for some tabletop things but probably won't replace a tech camera in terms of wide angle photography and movements…?
Unfortunately Sinar does not provide a list of mountable lenses...

Is someone here using such a setup? I am curious about the usability and limitations of such a kit…

Rob: interessting - thanks!

Last edited: