The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leveling Bases

thomas

Acratech makes a good, i.e., accurate, level (based on a small sample size :)). It's a bit of extra work, but is accurate: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/599683-REG/Acratech_2165_Level_Quick_Release_Plate.html
thanks for the link... ordered :)

Two more leveling bases:
http://manfrotto.de/product/8374.48426.78464.0.0/438/_/Kompakter_Nivellierkopf

http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=22&sprache=english

I also came across this (new?) ballhead which is a 3-way head.
Looks somehow like "Burzynski meets the Cube" (well, "baby-Cube")...:
http://www.berlebach.de/?bereich=details&id=383

thomas

Great product, but unfortunately it does not help the issue of plates and L-brackets not being perfectly parallel and/or perpendicular with the camera they're mounted to.
did not yet see such issues with my kit. I don't have an L bracket, though.

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
I'm listening Thomas so please explain how geared leveling is more accurate. Does it have more accurate or higher resolution level indication (e.g,. bubble level)? After all, the limiting factor in achieving level is in the resolution/accuracy of the level indicator - not the mechanism which tilts the base.
I would agree with this. Most tripod heads that use a single bubble for all planes are rarely accurate enough so I either have one in the flash bracket or use the ones in my Alpa Max Body). The cube also has independent bubble levels for each direction so it's more accurate than most heads, but I've found my cube levels seem to be off just a tad.

Lately i've been using the virtual horizon function of my phaseone back, or an app on my iPhone both which seem very precise and pretty easy to use when I want the base more critically level. Geared head (I have a cube) makes it very accurate and easy. As Jack mentioned, with the cube a leveling base is sort of redundant ... really don't need it.

Of course, you can always use another cube as the leveling base ... :)

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12056

stephengilbert

Jeff,

There are various level apps, but they share the same problem: the physical shape of the phone. My iPhone 3G has a rounded back. For the level to be more than a toy, you'd need a flat back on the phone and a flat surface to put it on.

Steve

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
I would agree with this. Most tripod heads that use a single bubble for all planes are rarely accurate enough so I either have one in the flash bracket or use the ones in my Alpa Max Body). The cube also has independent bubble levels for each direction so it's more accurate than most heads, but I've found my cube levels seem to be off just a tad.

Lately i've been using the virtual horizon function of my phaseone back, or an app on my iPhone both which seem very precise and pretty easy to use when I want the base more critically level. Geared head (I have a cube) makes it very accurate and easy. As Jack mentioned, with the cube a leveling base is sort of redundant ... really don't need it.

Of course, you can always use another cube as the leveling base ... :)

http://forum.getdpi.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12056
For the non cube kind of guy I use the virtual horizon function quite often. Works really well but would be nice if at some point a firmware update that would allow maybe a 3 second press of one of the 4 buttons and it automatically came up. Did anyone at Phase hear that request. :ROTFL:

Don Libby

Does the virtual horizon function switch planes as you move the back from horizontal to vertical?

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
Wayne, what is the iPhone app?
Jeff,

There are various level apps, but they share the same problem: the physical shape of the phone. My iPhone 3G has a rounded back. For the level to be more than a toy, you'd need a flat back on the phone and a flat surface to put it on.

Steve
I use iHandy Level. Has both a traditional bubble level and a surface level.

The case I had my iPhone 3gs resolved that issue. However, I now have the an iPhone 4 (no antenna issues for me at all), and the new iPhone design is very easy to use as a level. One side is very flat, and the back is very flat now.

Last edited:

Wayne Fox

Workshop Member
For the non cube kind of guy I use the virtual horizon function quite often. Works really well but would be nice if at some point a firmware update that would allow maybe a 3 second press of one of the 4 buttons and it automatically came up. Did anyone at Phase hear that request. :ROTFL:
oh ... I hope someone at Phase is listing (Kevin?)

A great feature which is much to hard to get to considering I use it on nearly every setup. I would rather have it in place of the ISO button.

Does the virtual horizon function switch planes as you move the back from horizontal to vertical?
Yes.

Jeffg53

I use iHandy Level. Has both a traditional bubble level and a surface level.

The case I had my iPhone 3gs resolved that issue. However, I now have the an iPhone 4 (no antenna issues for me at all), and the new iPhone design is very easy to use as a level. One side is very flat, and the back is very flat now.
Thanks Wayne. I'll try anything. I just wish Hasselblad had the virtual horizon feature.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
One thing that I'd like to see as a future option for the in-camera levels would be a user calibration option. I know that the in-camera level on my Nikons is not quite correct compared to the sensor/VF etc but only slightly off. I'd be prepared to go through the process of shooting & comparing "level" images to determine the slight correction needed for accuracy. We have the lens fine tuning, why not the level fine tuning too?

I'm sure that the same facility would be useful for backs too, especially given the mechanical nature of the camera/back fittings.

GrahamWelland

Subscriber & Workshop Member
Looks like a good accurate level and worth getting for that alone.

Of course the magnetic attraction of it won't help with the cube. If you're not sure why I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader :p

S

Shelby Lewis

Looks like a good accurate level and worth getting for that alone.

Of course the magnetic attraction of it won't help with the cube. If you're not sure why I'll leave that as an exercise for the reader :p
... ah... didn't think of that!!!