The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
This is an open thread meant to list places where users can learn Medium Format Software such as Phase One's Capture One, Hasselblad's Phocus, Leaf's Leaf Capture, Sinar's Exposure etc.

My post will focus on Capture One since that's what we're experts on. I encourage David to post similar information for Phocus and for Sinar users to post about the various Sinar solutions.

---------------

Capture One EDU

In Person and Hands On
Guy and Jack's GetDPI forum workshops
A stellar place to learn Capture One. Guy and Jack each have top-notch knowledge of the software - each from a slightly different point of view (which is actually great since they compliment each other). In addition guest instructors, myself included have supplemented their instruction on several such workshops.

Capture Integration "The Experts" Series
A traveling roadshow coming to Tampa (Aug 3), Greenboro (Aug 24), Washington DC (Aug 26), Ft. Lauderdale (Sep 29), Phoenix (Oct 12), and Denver (Oct 14). Eight hours of intensive education focused largely on Capture One.

Dealers
There are dealers throughout the world who do not just "sell" Phase One products but also go the extra mile to truly master the hardware and software. Capture Integration (us) and Optechs are two examples who frequent this board, and others throughout the world.

Digital Techs
In the major markets there are many digital techs who specialize in Capture One, in many markets it is by far and away the preferred tethering option for Canon & Nikon as well Leaf and Phase One. Digital Techs often have a heavy season and a lighter season, and when they are in a lighter season they are often very happy to rent themselves out as one-on-one instructors of Capture One.

Reading
User Guide (PDF)
Release Notes (PDF)
Right Here on GetDPI!
Luminous Landscape C1 forum
Capture Integration Tips/Tricks/News
Digital Tech Community Forum

Video Tutorials
Free Phase One Mini Tutorials
Luminous Landscape Guide to C1 5 ($50)
Capture U Videos (subscription)

Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
RSS Feed: Subscribe
Buy Capture One at 10% off
Personal Work

Last edited:

David K

Workshop Member
I will be attending the "Experts" series in Ft. Lauderdale and welcome the opportunity to meet face to face with any other forum members who are going. Should be both fun and educational.

yaya

There's a bunch or video tutorials for Capture One on Phase One's Youtube page.

The Knowledge Base on Phase's website is an excellent resource for Capture One and Leaf Capture workflow

And there's also the User Forum which is now serving all Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya users with the various products and software solutions.

For Leaf Capture there's lots of info on the Documentation and Tips & Tricks pages

HTH

Yair

fotografz

If you know how to use Photoshop you don't need any dedicated software - don't you...?

http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/
No, you don't need dedicated software ... need and want are two different things aren't they?

So, if you want highly tuned profiles, software corrections made by the people who make the camera and integrate all portions of the system, and have a propritary interest in getting the best out of their system, then you may want to use a dedicated software so that big investment isn't lessened by using anything less than the best software available.

The choice is yours.

-Marc

jlm

Workshop Member
hqsselblad, (Paul Claesson, et al) has offered a few free all day workshops at various locations. I attended one at Foto care here in NYC

Bill Caulfeild-Browne

Although I consider myself a pretty competent C1 user, I bought the LuLa video tutorial and learned quite a lot, especially about levels.
It was worth the price of admission, for me.

Bill

xpixel

Yes very much fun - but have you ever checked a PDF edition of VICTORbyHasselblad...? For example edition 04/2010. There is a series about AstonMartin, and if you check the metadata of the pictures - ohh well - made with a NIKON.. ?!? :confused:
and there is an intro text telling "he works with Hasselblad cameras, principally
an H3DII-39 or an H3DII-50."

Interesseting isn't it for a well known company... or was the Hasselblad too bad for this job...

fotografz

Yes very much fun - but have you ever checked a PDF edition of VICTORbyHasselblad...? For example edition 04/2010. There is a series about AstonMartin, and if you check the metadata of the pictures - ohh well - made with a NIKON.. ?!? :confused:
and there is an intro text telling "he works with Hasselblad cameras, principally
an H3DII-39 or an H3DII-50."

Interesseting isn't it for a well known company... or was the Hasselblad too bad for this job...
Sounds pretty odd, or troll like to me.

How are you getting Exif data off a PDF with multiple images on the page?

I downloaded the individual jpgs and checked the file exif info ... they have nothing on them at all, which isn't unusual when compressing jpgs for downloads. (see attached).

I guess the photographer would have to be a world class lier also, since he is quoted all over the article as using a H3D. Quite a devastating risk to one's professional reputation I would think ... ?

I'd say prove it with the actual linked downloads before smearing a pretty good photographer's reputation this way.

-Marc

xpixel

Sounds pretty odd, or troll like to me.

How are you getting Exif data off a PDF with multiple images on the page?

I downloaded the individual jpgs and checked the file exif info ... they have nothing on them at all, which isn't unusual when compressing jpgs for downloads. (see attached).

I guess the photographer would have to be a world class lier also, since he is quoted all over the article as using a H3D. Quite a devastating risk to one's professional reputation I would think ... ?

I'd say prove it with the actual linked downloads before smearing a pretty good photographer's reputation this way.

-Marc
On the site you can see the Flash version of the page, but you can also download the PDF version of the issue (button on the low left, you can choose pdf edition or a jpg picture). Then open the pdf edition with Adobe Acrobat Pro and choose a picture of them and open it for edit in Photoshop, and you can cleary see that its NIKON and not Hasselblad of the Aston Martin picture. You can also see the other pictures of the edition and you will see its Hasselblad but not them of the AstonMartin series... so you can prove it...

Corlan F.

Subscriber Member
Was thinking the same thing, Stephen. :)
OTOH this is interesting information -and possibly an enlightening indiscussion, but it would probably have its place in a separate thread. I'd even add my own comments and experience in that regard (supposedly MFDB demo shots with "unexpected" EXIFs...).

That said, thanks all for the links and info above.
Though in my case, despite previously working with C1 intensively for D700/D3 and 5D MkII files, i still can't figure out why the SW doesn't seem to yield good results with the D3X's (and we're a lot with the same findings), at least on a majority of RAWs :mad: Well, in that case, i guess it's not "dedicated software".

Talking about which (for Sinar), anything on eXposure?

yaya

When Nikon launched the D3 they had product shots on their US site that were taken with a P45...I guess at the time they've picked the photographer+tool for that job...might have been the same case here?

thomas

When Nikon launched the D3 they had product shots on their US site that were taken with a P45...I guess at the time they've picked the photographer+tool for that job...might have been the same case here?
Sony cameras are shot with a H25 :)

as to the car above: maybe it's just a background layer that was shot with a Nikon...?

Last edited:

Dustbak

Pffffewwheewww.. I am glad the images that were mine in one of the editions had Phocus around them :) Would hate to be pictured as a liar that doesn't use the things he says he does. Though they still could have been made with a Nikon.

Exif data doesn't say much indeed, there can be a variety of reasons exif doesn't tell the whole story.

Who cares anyway. If the guy mentions he uses brand X primarily, he is probably using something else too. Aren't we all?