The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

dougpeterson

Workshop Member
Boy - last time I start a thread on such a controversial subject! :LOL:

Welcome Tim, you may have joined to address an unfortunate off-topic posting but I for one hope you'll stick around for the goodness that 99% of this forum represents.

Don Libby

Boy - last time I start a thread on such a controversial subject! :LOL:

Welcome Tim, you may have joined to address an unfortunate off-topic posting but I for one hope you'll stick around for the goodness that 99% of this forum represents.
Yeah Doug it's all your fault! :ROTFL::angel::ROTFL:

Professional

Hi strangely I take exception to being branded a liar all because striped data on some files that you are apparently downloading???? do not read as you expected...

My portfolio that I have built up from scratch since starting my business 3 years ago was featured in Victor which was of course a great honour for me but it does represent a cross section of work since I started and is not an advertisement for the H3? I use both a H3 and Nikon in my work, which is dependant on the job and the output required, I'm happy to post the raws on here but really don't see that as productive as surely the photography is whats being looked at rather then peaking at EXIF data. The one that you choose has a composite element that was shot on the D3s however the main shot of the Morgan was done alongside the others that were recently posted on here showing the RAWs, why? well because it was Charles Morgans own car and I need that colour or indeed lightness of it to achieve the IR feel result I was looking for creatively...

I can only apologise that my EXIF does not live up to your expectations but hope the hard work and creativity that I have put into my work possibly has.

Thanks
Tim Wallace
Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

Again, i apologize about it, and second, i just talk in general not about you, i saw a lot of those video tutorials where pros are talking about a brand or another and feel that they are cheating or lying to be marketed for those manufacturers, i will not say someone is a liar, but if he is using 3 or 4 systems and then going on the video to say this brand is the best or i use this system which blows me away, or i really recommend this as i use but in fact all brands are working flawlessly, mostly those Hasselblad Masters will always say that Hasselblad system is the best because they are MAsters with Hasselblad and because Hasselbald marketing them, but maybe the truth could be different, i met Brayn and he told me he was a Hasselblad shooter long time ago but he converted to Phase One because he saw issues with Hasselblad in some ways, but maybe he is working with Phase One he said that, so in this business i can't tell who is honest or telling the truth, we have a saying in Arabic which states " Ask who use the tool and don't ask the expert", your example is very nice, and i can tell that you blended the shots, the background seems not so great to be shot with Hasselblad, and doesn't matter if you use Hasselbald with a 4/3 P&S even, and i respect you, but i really want to believe most of those pros when they are marketing for some brands, to do for business is a thing [because you want to have your living] and to tell the fact is something else, and i see that not all what is said there for business should be true or 100% correct.

Welcome again here, and i hope if you working hard for your works then show us your art work and experienced works here as well!

Guy Mancuso

Administrator, Instructor
Just some thoughts as a working Pro and the absolute bottom line comes into play when shooting ads I am pulling out my Phase system no question about it BUT if the ad calls for some background work or something shot from another system that I need some element from it than any Pro will pull that in to make the image. Obviously it will happen when we are shooting our 35mm systems as well if the image stands out than it is a image anyone will sell to make a ad work. I think folks look too far into what we are up too to make a living. Anything that will get us a check is what we will do within reason of course. Now having said that it is a shame that any ad from any of the OEM's comes into scrutiny if someone is backing that system up in a ad or in support of that particular OEM. I am sure Tim like myself and many others we have primary systems we turn too in my case it is the Phase and in Tim's it is the Hassy but if a 35mm calls for a certain job than we will use that as well if needed. Pro's are out to make a living and whatever it takes to get a image to a client is what we will do and yes we have our primary systems that do most of that work but case in point I just shot for 10 days in NY with a Canon and the Phase system was the backup. But if you ask me what is MY system I will say Phase no question about it, the Canon system is not my primary workhorse but a as needed per job basis . The Phase is the workhorse.

BTW Tim welcome and hopefully you can join in here on other discussions as well.

And let's get back to the software folks the air is clear now.

fotografz

Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

Again, i apologize about it, and second, i just talk in general not about you, i saw a lot of those video tutorials where pros are talking about a brand or another and feel that they are cheating or lying to be marketed for those manufacturers, i will not say someone is a liar, but if he is using 3 or 4 systems and then going on the video to say this brand is the best or i use this system which blows me away, or i really recommend this as i use but in fact all brands are working flawlessly, mostly those Hasselblad Masters will always say that Hasselblad system is the best because they are MAsters with Hasselblad and because Hasselbald marketing them, but maybe the truth could be different, i met Brayn and he told me he was a Hasselblad shooter long time ago but he converted to Phase One because he saw issues with Hasselblad in some ways, but maybe he is working with Phase One he said that, so in this business i can't tell who is honest or telling the truth, we have a saying in Arabic which states " Ask who use the tool and don't ask the expert", your example is very nice, and i can tell that you blended the shots, the background seems not so great to be shot with Hasselblad, and doesn't matter if you use Hasselbald with a 4/3 P&S even, and i respect you, but i really want to believe most of those pros when they are marketing for some brands, to do for business is a thing [because you want to have your living] and to tell the fact is something else, and i see that not all what is said there for business should be true or 100% correct.

Welcome again here, and i hope if you working hard for your works then show us your art work and experienced works here as well!
Dear Professional:

Lying assumes deception on the part of someone endorsing any photographic product or brand. For that to be true, the photographer would have to actually believe his or her choice of product or brand was not the best choice for the application that the product is used for. Preference is not lying, it is personal preference based on a specific technical need set, experience, and artistic intent.

Most photographers use more than one type of camera ... and the truth be told, many use more than one brand of any given type of camera ... (i.e., "Horses For Courses"). As technology changes, preferences can change ... and they can change back and forth pretty quickly.

Photographers do not select cameras because they may become a published Phase One user, Leica Photographer, or a Hasselblad Master. While it is nice, and even an honor, you have to have actually used the product first ... thus have made the choice on a professional level to do so. Whether or not the company may or may not have provided the gear free or something is not relevant ... no photographer is going to risk their job or reputation by selecting the wrong gear for any given project.

Marketing by a camera company can be great for the photographer's reputation ... with other photographers. It is far less effective with the paying clients. As an Art Director, and a photographically literate one at that, I couldn't care less what the photographer uses to express an idea ... and neither do any of the thousands of my fellow ADs. It's always the work, not what was used.

Work done for commercial clients is driven by ideas, budgets, and time ... not cameras. Composite work is not uncommon when expressing certain ideas ... and where those elements of the composite come from can vary ... it can be from a photographer's library of images without regard to what camera was used to take the image. These days some composite elements may not even have been taken by the photographer ... they come from stock and are assembled by an Art Director/Designer or Retoucher.

Generally, the emphasis of authorship gravitates to the main subject of a composite. If the photographer feels this or that brand is the best choice to capture that main subject ... then that is their personal preference.

Commercial Photography is Art in the Service of Commerce ... technical expertise, tools for the job, and adequate infrastructure are a given, not a reason to select a photographer.

Only certain photographers are obsessed with all this technical detail and brand in-fighting ... more so with photographers that are uncertain of their intent or haven't fully formed their vision. Ones that have, know what they are after, and select the tool to get there ... which can change frequently. Just ask Guy ...:ROTFL:

-Marc