Site Sponsors
Results 1 to 48 of 48

Thread: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

  1. #1
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    This is an open thread meant to list places where users can learn Medium Format Software such as Phase One's Capture One, Hasselblad's Phocus, Leaf's Leaf Capture, Sinar's Exposure etc.

    My post will focus on Capture One since that's what we're experts on. I encourage David to post similar information for Phocus and for Sinar users to post about the various Sinar solutions.

    ---------------

    Capture One EDU

    In Person and Hands On
    Guy and Jack's GetDPI forum workshops
    A stellar place to learn Capture One. Guy and Jack each have top-notch knowledge of the software - each from a slightly different point of view (which is actually great since they compliment each other). In addition guest instructors, myself included have supplemented their instruction on several such workshops.

    Capture Integration "The Experts" Series
    A traveling roadshow coming to Tampa (Aug 3), Greenboro (Aug 24), Washington DC (Aug 26), Ft. Lauderdale (Sep 29), Phoenix (Oct 12), and Denver (Oct 14). Eight hours of intensive education focused largely on Capture One.

    Dealers
    There are dealers throughout the world who do not just "sell" Phase One products but also go the extra mile to truly master the hardware and software. Capture Integration (us) and Optechs are two examples who frequent this board, and others throughout the world.

    Digital Techs
    In the major markets there are many digital techs who specialize in Capture One, in many markets it is by far and away the preferred tethering option for Canon & Nikon as well Leaf and Phase One. Digital Techs often have a heavy season and a lighter season, and when they are in a lighter season they are often very happy to rent themselves out as one-on-one instructors of Capture One.


    Reading
    User Guide (PDF)
    Release Notes (PDF)
    Right Here on GetDPI!
    Luminous Landscape C1 forum
    Capture Integration Tips/Tricks/News
    Digital Tech Community Forum


    Video Tutorials
    Free Phase One Mini Tutorials
    Luminous Landscape Guide to C1 5 ($50)
    Capture U Videos (subscription)


    Doug Peterson (e-mail Me)
    __________________
    Head of Technical Services, Capture Integration
    Phase One, Leaf, Cambo, Canon, Apple, Profoto, Eizo & More
    National: 877.217.9870 *| *Cell: 740.707.2183
    Newsletter: Read Latest or Sign Up
    RSS Feed: Subscribe
    Buy Capture One at 10% off
    Personal Work
    Last edited by dougpeterson; 30th July 2010 at 07:39.

  2. #2
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Jupiter, Fla.
    Posts
    1,967
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    I will be attending the "Experts" series in Ft. Lauderdale and welcome the opportunity to meet face to face with any other forum members who are going. Should be both fun and educational.

  3. #3
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    There's a bunch or video tutorials for Capture One on Phase One's Youtube page.

    The Knowledge Base on Phase's website is an excellent resource for Capture One and Leaf Capture workflow

    And there's also the User Forum which is now serving all Phase One, Leaf and Mamiya users with the various products and software solutions.

    For Leaf Capture there's lots of info on the Documentation and Tips & Tricks pages

    HTH

    Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Hasselblad software is so intuitive, you don't need places to learn it

  5. #5
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Hasselblad Phocus Video Tutorial:

    http://www.hasselbladusa.com/product...-features.aspx

    Phocus User Manual, PDF:

    http://www.hasselbladusa.com/media/2...ual_eng_v9.pdf

    Hasselblad Phocus Tech Tips: (Batch Processing/Hotfolder/Phocus, Gil & Google Earth:

    http://www.hasselblad.com/about-hass...tech-tips.aspx

    Phocus Scene Calibration PDF (for tech camera users):

    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2849451/scenecalibration.pdf

    Facebook Phocus:

    http://www.facebook.com/pages/Phocus...33053003375726

    Forum with Phocus Tips: (have to join)

    http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.com/

    http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.co...board,4.0.html

    http://www.hasselbladdigitalforum.co...pic,870.0.html

    There is more, but this will do for now ...

    -Marc

    Oh, a fun look:

    U-Tube:

    http://www.youtube.com/user/VICTORbyHasselblad

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    If you know how to use Photoshop you don't need any dedicated software - don't you...?

    http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/

  7. #7
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by xpixel View Post
    If you know how to use Photoshop you don't need any dedicated software - don't you...?

    http://tv.adobe.com/product/photoshop/
    No, you don't need dedicated software ... need and want are two different things aren't they?

    So, if you want highly tuned profiles, software corrections made by the people who make the camera and integrate all portions of the system, and have a propritary interest in getting the best out of their system, then you may want to use a dedicated software so that big investment isn't lessened by using anything less than the best software available.

    The choice is yours.

    -Marc

  8. #8
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    4,043
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    1253

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    hqsselblad, (Paul Claesson, et al) has offered a few free all day workshops at various locations. I attended one at Foto care here in NYC

  9. #9
    Super Duper
    Senior Member
    Bill Caulfeild-Browne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Bruce Peninsula, Canada
    Posts
    2,535
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    184

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Although I consider myself a pretty competent C1 user, I bought the LuLa video tutorial and learned quite a lot, especially about levels.
    It was worth the price of admission, for me.

    Bill

  10. #10
    Senior Member KETCH ROSSI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Rome, Italy
    Posts
    463
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Nice thread and posts of resources, thanks guys, keep them coming

  11. #11
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Thanks fotografz a lot of reading to do
    www.williamophuis.com

    Hassy H4D-40.

  12. #12
    Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    Sydney, Australia
    Posts
    96
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    I can only speak for Australia, but Sinar software training can be obtained from the Sinar dealer - David Kay. See his website and click on the 'Training' tab.

    http://www.capturescanprint.com/fine...services.html#

    Actually he can train you in pretty much anything to do with photography, software, printing and computers in general.

    Ben

  13. #13
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Yes very much fun - but have you ever checked a PDF edition of VICTORbyHasselblad...? For example edition 04/2010. There is a series about AstonMartin, and if you check the metadata of the pictures - ohh well - made with a NIKON.. ?!?
    and there is an intro text telling "he works with Hasselblad cameras, principally
    an H3DII-39 or an H3DII-50."

    Interesseting isn't it for a well known company... or was the Hasselblad too bad for this job...

  14. #14
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by xpixel View Post
    Yes very much fun - but have you ever checked a PDF edition of VICTORbyHasselblad...? For example edition 04/2010. There is a series about AstonMartin, and if you check the metadata of the pictures - ohh well - made with a NIKON.. ?!?
    and there is an intro text telling "he works with Hasselblad cameras, principally
    an H3DII-39 or an H3DII-50."

    Interesseting isn't it for a well known company... or was the Hasselblad too bad for this job...
    Sounds pretty odd, or troll like to me.

    How are you getting Exif data off a PDF with multiple images on the page?

    I downloaded the individual jpgs and checked the file exif info ... they have nothing on them at all, which isn't unusual when compressing jpgs for downloads. (see attached).

    I guess the photographer would have to be a world class lier also, since he is quoted all over the article as using a H3D. Quite a devastating risk to one's professional reputation I would think ... ?

    I'd say prove it with the actual linked downloads before smearing a pretty good photographer's reputation this way.

    -Marc

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post
    Sounds pretty odd, or troll like to me.

    How are you getting Exif data off a PDF with multiple images on the page?

    I downloaded the individual jpgs and checked the file exif info ... they have nothing on them at all, which isn't unusual when compressing jpgs for downloads. (see attached).

    I guess the photographer would have to be a world class lier also, since he is quoted all over the article as using a H3D. Quite a devastating risk to one's professional reputation I would think ... ?

    I'd say prove it with the actual linked downloads before smearing a pretty good photographer's reputation this way.

    -Marc
    On the site you can see the Flash version of the page, but you can also download the PDF version of the issue (button on the low left, you can choose pdf edition or a jpg picture). Then open the pdf edition with Adobe Acrobat Pro and choose a picture of them and open it for edit in Photoshop, and you can cleary see that its NIKON and not Hasselblad of the Aston Martin picture. You can also see the other pictures of the edition and you will see its Hasselblad but not them of the AstonMartin series... so you can prove it...


  16. #16
    Senior Member stephengilbert's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Santa Monica, CA
    Posts
    2,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Places to learn software?

    Or an opportunity to trash someone else's camera?

  17. #17
    Subscriber Member Corlan F.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    1,433
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    381

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Was thinking the same thing, Stephen.
    OTOH this is interesting information -and possibly an enlightening indiscussion, but it would probably have its place in a separate thread. I'd even add my own comments and experience in that regard (supposedly MFDB demo shots with "unexpected" EXIFs...).

    That said, thanks all for the links and info above.
    Though in my case, despite previously working with C1 intensively for D700/D3 and 5D MkII files, i still can't figure out why the SW doesn't seem to yield good results with the D3X's (and we're a lot with the same findings), at least on a majority of RAWs Well, in that case, i guess it's not "dedicated software".

    Talking about which (for Sinar), anything on eXposure?

  18. #18
    Senior Member yaya's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    1,168
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    38

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    When Nikon launched the D3 they had product shots on their US site that were taken with a P45...I guess at the time they've picked the photographer+tool for that job...might have been the same case here?

  19. #19
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post
    When Nikon launched the D3 they had product shots on their US site that were taken with a P45...I guess at the time they've picked the photographer+tool for that job...might have been the same case here?
    Sony cameras are shot with a H25

    as to the car above: maybe it's just a background layer that was shot with a Nikon...?
    Last edited by thomas; 1st August 2010 at 08:57.

  20. #20
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Pffffewwheewww.. I am glad the images that were mine in one of the editions had Phocus around them Would hate to be pictured as a liar that doesn't use the things he says he does. Though they still could have been made with a Nikon.

    Exif data doesn't say much indeed, there can be a variety of reasons exif doesn't tell the whole story.

    Who cares anyway. If the guy mentions he uses brand X primarily, he is probably using something else too. Aren't we all?

  21. #21
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Dustbak View Post
    Pffffewwheewww.. I am glad the images that were mine in one of the editions had Phocus around them Would hate to be pictured as a liar that doesn't use the things he says he does. Though they still could have been made with a Nikon.

    Exif data doesn't say much indeed, there can be a variety of reasons exif doesn't tell the whole story.

    Who cares anyway. If the guy mentions he uses brand X primarily, he is probably using something else too. Aren't we all?
    Yes, Great to shoot with Olympus and then going to Mamiya threads and mentioning that Mamiya is the best and the shot done by "Olympus" was great reason why i used Mamiya something.
    Good that i drive Ferrari for races even in fact i drive only BMW, so i will go to Ferrari company with my BMW and announcing that Ferrari is such an amazing car, so that why i drive BMW.
    Tareq

  22. #22
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Yes, Great to shoot with Olympus and then going to Mamiya threads and mentioning that Mamiya is the best and the shot done by "Olympus" was great reason why i used Mamiya something.
    Good that i drive Ferrari for races even in fact i drive only BMW, so i will go to Ferrari company with my BMW and announcing that Ferrari is such an amazing car, so that why i drive BMW.
    LOL!

  23. #23
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by xpixel View Post
    On the site you can see the Flash version of the page, but you can also download the PDF version of the issue (button on the low left, you can choose pdf edition or a jpg picture). Then open the pdf edition with Adobe Acrobat Pro and choose a picture of them and open it for edit in Photoshop, and you can cleary see that its NIKON and not Hasselblad of the Aston Martin picture. You can also see the other pictures of the edition and you will see its Hasselblad but not them of the AstonMartin series... so you can prove it...

    Ok, lets clear this up once and for all.

    I have spoken to the photographer Tim Wallace on the phone just now, and none of the shots were captured by Nikon, all Hasselblad.

    Also if you look at the meta data it says that the lens was set to 28mm. You don't have to be a rocket scientist to see that that image was not shot with a 28mm lens.

    Some of these were specifically for Victor, and I think you would assume that the photographer would be using a Hasselblad.

    So I would expect the error to be with Adobe.

    Please remove your posts or edit them.

    David

  24. #24
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Perth, Western Australia
    Posts
    138
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Also the Car isn't an Aston Martin
    www.williamophuis.com

    Hassy H4D-40.

  25. #25
    Workshop Member ptomsu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Austria, close to Vienna
    Posts
    3,871
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    WOW

    so much heated discussion about NOTHING ????

    Am I seeing something wrong?

    Anyone who shoots a Hasselblad knows about the qualities of this camera - no need to argue in ANY forum!

    Why are Hasselblad owners rather shooting than posting? Guess ....

    Best regards

    Peter

  26. #26
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    So I would expect the error to be with Adobe.
    Sorry an error with Adobe? All other pictures of the publication has Hasselblad metadata... and all Aston Martin have Nikon metadata even not always the same Nikon camera... sorry thats almost impossible of such an Adobe error.

  27. #27
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    1,347
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    12

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by xpixel View Post
    Sorry an error with Adobe? All other pictures of the publication has Hasselblad metadata... and all Aston Martin have Nikon metadata even not always the same Nikon camera... sorry thats almost impossible of such an Adobe error.
    I think David clarified the story. Would be a matter of kind goodwill to remove your posts about this totally marginal topic...

  28. #28
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by xpixel View Post
    Sorry an error with Adobe? All other pictures of the publication has Hasselblad metadata... and all Aston Martin have Nikon metadata even not always the same Nikon camera... sorry thats almost impossible of such an Adobe error.
    I am not quite sure what you are hoping to achieve?

    I spoke to the photographer, he says it is not shot with a Nikon. End of Story.

    He has no reason to lie. He does many activities with Hasselblad UK regarding the use of his Hasselblad.

    Either way, the meta data is incorrectly shown. We can discuss why this might be the case, but it has nothing to do with Tim using one camera and saying he is using another.

    David

  29. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    284
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    I am not quite sure what you are hoping to achieve?
    I want nothing to achieve, except you can maybe let check the workflow of the future releases of the editions. I have only detected that there are Nikon metadata in a Hasselblad picture - nothing else.

  30. #30
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia
    Posts
    2,338
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    52

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    This is pixel peeking at its finest! or when is a factoid not a fact? When is metadata not metadata? So many questions and so much drama!!


    Re Exposure or Capture Shop/
    + 1 for Sinar dealer in Sydney - Dave is a champion and a fair dinkum photographer to boot!

    Pete

  31. #31
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by ptomsu View Post
    WOW

    so much heated discussion about NOTHING ????

    Am I seeing something wrong?

    Anyone who shoots a Hasselblad knows about the qualities of this camera - no need to argue in ANY forum!

    Why are Hasselblad owners rather shooting than posting? Guess ....

    Best regards

    Peter
    322 H4D/40 shots between 11:30AM and 4:00PM yesterday, 28mm, 50mm, 100mm, 210mm, and a dozen or so with the HTS/1.5 ... how about you?

    Forum fun is for R&R breaks in post-processing

    -Marc

  32. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    So back to the topic, we want to learn software! hehe
    Tareq

  33. #33
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Yes get back to software folks.


    BTW no better way to learn is by doing it . No book is going to cut it here. Maybe a plug but so be it. You need one on one instruction and no 60 mpx back is going to cover up bad processing. We ARE they lab now
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  34. #34
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32 31' 37.06" N, 111 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    You might also want to check out Lynda.com
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  35. #35
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    You might also want to check out Lynda.com
    Yes, i like Lynda videos tutorials very much, very informative and easy to follow.

    In fact i wish i to have someone to teach me about Phocus and C1, i read the manuals or PDF or whatever about those two, but i feel there are more areas i would like to learn about those two.
    Tareq

  36. #36
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    I apologise in hijacking this thread once more, but Tim just called me again, concerned after reading the thread.

    We discussed the meta data issue and a couple of the shots are composite images, which perhaps might explain the Nikon data showing. For example the grass in the Morgan shot which was shown above.

    Attached is a screen grab of some of the Morgan shots.

    Tim has only be going for a few years and has built up his portfolio from scratch. When I spoke to him earlier today he was at the Jaguar factory here in the UK. As I said at the start its not nice to read comments about yourself which are untrue.

    It is also of no surprise to all of us that as well as owning a Hasselblad, Tim would also use a Nikon if it was better for purpose on a job.

    I hope this is all cleared up now and the thread can return to normal business.

    Sorry Guy and Jack!

    David

  37. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by David Grover / Hasselblad View Post
    I apologise in hijacking this thread once more, but Tim just called me again, concerned after reading the thread.

    We discussed the meta data issue and a couple of the shots are composite images, which perhaps might explain the Nikon data showing. For example the grass in the Morgan shot which was shown above.

    Attached is a screen grab of some of the Morgan shots.

    Tim has only be going for a few years and has built up his portfolio from scratch. When I spoke to him earlier today he was at the Jaguar factory here in the UK. As I said at the start its not nice to read comments about yourself which are untrue.

    It is also of no surprise to all of us that as well as owning a Hasselblad, Tim would also use a Nikon if it was better for purpose on a job.

    I hope this is all cleared up now and the thread can return to normal business.

    Sorry Guy and Jack!

    David
    Thank you very much for clarification, David!

    I apologize about what i posted so far, and i respect all photographers no matter what, but honestly speaking i don't respect liars even it is for business/commercial reasons.
    Tareq

  38. #38
    Member JSK Rangefinder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    106
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Don Libby View Post
    You might also want to check out Lynda.com
    Don, I agree Lynda.com is worth the money.. they have 3D stuff, Architecture, Music & Video Recording and much more covered.. plus I don't have to carry manuals/books or keep organizing thousands of bookmarks.. the only thing I miss is more time to learn it all

  39. #39
    Tim Wallace
    Guest

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Thank you very much for clarification, David!

    I apologize about what i posted so far, and i respect all photographers no matter what, but honestly speaking i don't respect liars even it is for business/commercial reasons.
    Hi strangely I take exception to being branded a liar all because striped data on some files that you are apparently downloading???? do not read as you expected...

    My portfolio that I have built up from scratch since starting my business 3 years ago was featured in Victor which was of course a great honour for me but it does represent a cross section of work since I started and is not an advertisement for the H3? I use both a H3 and Nikon in my work, which is dependant on the job and the output required, I'm happy to post the raws on here but really don't see that as productive as surely the photography is whats being looked at rather then peaking at EXIF data. The one that you choose has a composite element that was shot on the D3s however the main shot of the Morgan was done alongside the others that were recently posted on here showing the RAWs, why? well because it was Charles Morgans own car and I need that colour or indeed lightness of it to achieve the IR feel result I was looking for creatively...

    I can only apologise that my EXIF does not live up to your expectations but hope the hard work and creativity that I have put into my work possibly has.

    Thanks
    Tim Wallace

  40. #40
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32 31' 37.06" N, 111 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Hi Tim and welcome to what is normally a very nice place to be. It's sad that your first post addresses what really should be a non issue. People somtimes jump to conclusions without properly investigating which leads to all sorts of problems.

    I've followed your work for some time now and hope you share here.

    Don

    Now can we please return to the original intent of Doug's post?
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  41. #41
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    528
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Impressive for only 3 years! Welcome aboard though perhaps a bit peculiar reason having to join for this.

  42. #42
    Workshop Member
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    NYC
    Posts
    3,275
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    7

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Boy - last time I start a thread on such a controversial subject!

    Welcome Tim, you may have joined to address an unfortunate off-topic posting but I for one hope you'll stick around for the goodness that 99% of this forum represents.

  43. #43
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    32 31' 37.06" N, 111 6' 0.9" W
    Posts
    4,333
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by dougpetersonci View Post
    Boy - last time I start a thread on such a controversial subject!

    Welcome Tim, you may have joined to address an unfortunate off-topic posting but I for one hope you'll stick around for the goodness that 99% of this forum represents.
    Yeah Doug it's all your fault!
    Don Libby
    Iron Creek Photography
    Blog
    Tucson AZ

  44. #44
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    1,083
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    6

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wallace View Post
    Hi strangely I take exception to being branded a liar all because striped data on some files that you are apparently downloading???? do not read as you expected...

    My portfolio that I have built up from scratch since starting my business 3 years ago was featured in Victor which was of course a great honour for me but it does represent a cross section of work since I started and is not an advertisement for the H3? I use both a H3 and Nikon in my work, which is dependant on the job and the output required, I'm happy to post the raws on here but really don't see that as productive as surely the photography is whats being looked at rather then peaking at EXIF data. The one that you choose has a composite element that was shot on the D3s however the main shot of the Morgan was done alongside the others that were recently posted on here showing the RAWs, why? well because it was Charles Morgans own car and I need that colour or indeed lightness of it to achieve the IR feel result I was looking for creatively...

    I can only apologise that my EXIF does not live up to your expectations but hope the hard work and creativity that I have put into my work possibly has.

    Thanks
    Tim Wallace
    Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

    Again, i apologize about it, and second, i just talk in general not about you, i saw a lot of those video tutorials where pros are talking about a brand or another and feel that they are cheating or lying to be marketed for those manufacturers, i will not say someone is a liar, but if he is using 3 or 4 systems and then going on the video to say this brand is the best or i use this system which blows me away, or i really recommend this as i use but in fact all brands are working flawlessly, mostly those Hasselblad Masters will always say that Hasselblad system is the best because they are MAsters with Hasselblad and because Hasselbald marketing them, but maybe the truth could be different, i met Brayn and he told me he was a Hasselblad shooter long time ago but he converted to Phase One because he saw issues with Hasselblad in some ways, but maybe he is working with Phase One he said that, so in this business i can't tell who is honest or telling the truth, we have a saying in Arabic which states " Ask who use the tool and don't ask the expert", your example is very nice, and i can tell that you blended the shots, the background seems not so great to be shot with Hasselblad, and doesn't matter if you use Hasselbald with a 4/3 P&S even, and i respect you, but i really want to believe most of those pros when they are marketing for some brands, to do for business is a thing [because you want to have your living] and to tell the fact is something else, and i see that not all what is said there for business should be true or 100% correct.

    Welcome again here, and i hope if you working hard for your works then show us your art work and experienced works here as well!
    Tareq

  45. #45
    Administrator, Instructor Guy Mancuso's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Arizona
    Posts
    23,623
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    2555

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Just some thoughts as a working Pro and the absolute bottom line comes into play when shooting ads I am pulling out my Phase system no question about it BUT if the ad calls for some background work or something shot from another system that I need some element from it than any Pro will pull that in to make the image. Obviously it will happen when we are shooting our 35mm systems as well if the image stands out than it is a image anyone will sell to make a ad work. I think folks look too far into what we are up too to make a living. Anything that will get us a check is what we will do within reason of course. Now having said that it is a shame that any ad from any of the OEM's comes into scrutiny if someone is backing that system up in a ad or in support of that particular OEM. I am sure Tim like myself and many others we have primary systems we turn too in my case it is the Phase and in Tim's it is the Hassy but if a 35mm calls for a certain job than we will use that as well if needed. Pro's are out to make a living and whatever it takes to get a image to a client is what we will do and yes we have our primary systems that do most of that work but case in point I just shot for 10 days in NY with a Canon and the Phase system was the backup. But if you ask me what is MY system I will say Phase no question about it, the Canon system is not my primary workhorse but a as needed per job basis . The Phase is the workhorse.

    BTW Tim welcome and hopefully you can join in here on other discussions as well.

    And let's get back to the software folks the air is clear now.
    Photography is all about experimentation and without it you will never learn art.

    www.guymancusophotography.com

  46. #46
    Super Duper
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Royal Oak, MI and Palm Harbor, FL
    Posts
    8,498
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    44

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Professional View Post
    Hi Tim, welcome to the forum.

    Again, i apologize about it, and second, i just talk in general not about you, i saw a lot of those video tutorials where pros are talking about a brand or another and feel that they are cheating or lying to be marketed for those manufacturers, i will not say someone is a liar, but if he is using 3 or 4 systems and then going on the video to say this brand is the best or i use this system which blows me away, or i really recommend this as i use but in fact all brands are working flawlessly, mostly those Hasselblad Masters will always say that Hasselblad system is the best because they are MAsters with Hasselblad and because Hasselbald marketing them, but maybe the truth could be different, i met Brayn and he told me he was a Hasselblad shooter long time ago but he converted to Phase One because he saw issues with Hasselblad in some ways, but maybe he is working with Phase One he said that, so in this business i can't tell who is honest or telling the truth, we have a saying in Arabic which states " Ask who use the tool and don't ask the expert", your example is very nice, and i can tell that you blended the shots, the background seems not so great to be shot with Hasselblad, and doesn't matter if you use Hasselbald with a 4/3 P&S even, and i respect you, but i really want to believe most of those pros when they are marketing for some brands, to do for business is a thing [because you want to have your living] and to tell the fact is something else, and i see that not all what is said there for business should be true or 100% correct.

    Welcome again here, and i hope if you working hard for your works then show us your art work and experienced works here as well!
    Dear Professional:

    Lying assumes deception on the part of someone endorsing any photographic product or brand. For that to be true, the photographer would have to actually believe his or her choice of product or brand was not the best choice for the application that the product is used for. Preference is not lying, it is personal preference based on a specific technical need set, experience, and artistic intent.

    Most photographers use more than one type of camera ... and the truth be told, many use more than one brand of any given type of camera ... (i.e., "Horses For Courses"). As technology changes, preferences can change ... and they can change back and forth pretty quickly.

    Photographers do not select cameras because they may become a published Phase One user, Leica Photographer, or a Hasselblad Master. While it is nice, and even an honor, you have to have actually used the product first ... thus have made the choice on a professional level to do so. Whether or not the company may or may not have provided the gear free or something is not relevant ... no photographer is going to risk their job or reputation by selecting the wrong gear for any given project.

    Marketing by a camera company can be great for the photographer's reputation ... with other photographers. It is far less effective with the paying clients. As an Art Director, and a photographically literate one at that, I couldn't care less what the photographer uses to express an idea ... and neither do any of the thousands of my fellow ADs. It's always the work, not what was used.

    Work done for commercial clients is driven by ideas, budgets, and time ... not cameras. Composite work is not uncommon when expressing certain ideas ... and where those elements of the composite come from can vary ... it can be from a photographer's library of images without regard to what camera was used to take the image. These days some composite elements may not even have been taken by the photographer ... they come from stock and are assembled by an Art Director/Designer or Retoucher.

    Generally, the emphasis of authorship gravitates to the main subject of a composite. If the photographer feels this or that brand is the best choice to capture that main subject ... then that is their personal preference.

    Commercial Photography is Art in the Service of Commerce ... technical expertise, tools for the job, and adequate infrastructure are a given, not a reason to select a photographer.

    Only certain photographers are obsessed with all this technical detail and brand in-fighting ... more so with photographers that are uncertain of their intent or haven't fully formed their vision. Ones that have, know what they are after, and select the tool to get there ... which can change frequently. Just ask Guy ...

    -Marc

  47. #47
    Tim Wallace
    Guest

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Thanks for the welcome guys


    Tim

  48. #48
    Senior Member Steve Hendrix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Posts
    420
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images
    4

    Re: Places to Learn MF Dedicated Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Tim Wallace View Post
    Thanks for the welcome guys


    Tim

    Very nice garage, Tim!


    Steve Hendrix
    Steve Hendrix, Sales Manager, www.captureintegration.com (e-mail Me)
    Digital Cam: Phase One | Leaf | Leica | Sinar Authorized Reseller
    TechCam: Alpa | Cambo | Arca Swiss | Sinar Authorized Reseller

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •