The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Hassey GPS Locator ... anyone using?

fotografz

I just watched this Tech Tip on using the Hasselblad Global Image GPS Locator Unit that tags and archives each image with place coordinates, time and even altitude.

Then the image can be placed and located where is was shot on Google Earth using Phocus software. Freaking amazing:

http://www.hasselblad.com/about-hasselblad/hasselblad-in-motion/tech-tips.aspx

Seems like a cool device for landscape, travel, and documentary work. Pretty small, and plugs into the side of the HD cameras:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/578717-REG/Hasselblad_70310155_70310155_Global_Image_GPS.html

This quote was also interesting: "As future online search engines are developed and expanded, it will be possible to do more sophisticated mapping with the metadata retrieved by this unit."

I'm interested in this because I am ratcheting up travel with my H kit, including some destination weddings.

-Marc

Jeffg53

It's a pretty nifty device, I have one permanently attached to my H4D. If you are using an L plate, you'll need to modify it to accommodate the GIL.

fotografz

It's a pretty nifty device, I have one permanently attached to my H4D. If you are using an L plate, you'll need to modify it to accommodate the GIL.
Jeff, did you modify an L plate? Can you show me how if you did?

I'm mostly using a Monopod with a RRS HD Mono-Pod head to flip the camera to Portrait when needed. But I do have a RRS L bracket for the H when using a tripod.

Thanks,

-Marc

hcubell

I agree. It does work well and is very useful if you tend to photograph in locations where it is not easy to remember the exact location and you want to return. I did modify my RRS L bracket so that it would fit with the device. I will post a photo when I return home. However, my GIL is for sale as I no longer have an H3D or H4D and it does not work on an H1 or H2. If anyone is interested, they can PM.

Jeffg53

Marc, the mod is easy enough. You just need to file down the bracket to fit the GIL. I will post a shot as soon as I can. I will be working unnatural hours until Thursday this week but will do it then unless Howard beats me to it.

fotografz

I agree. It does work well and is very useful if you tend to photograph in locations where it is not easy to remember the exact location and you want to return. I did modify my RRS L bracket so that it would fit with the device. I will post a photo when I return home. However, my GIL is for sale as I no longer have an H3D or H4D and it does not work on an H1 or H2. If anyone is interested, they can PM.
PM sent.

-Marc

Jeffg53

Can I take it that you will be getting your piccies from Howard now, Marc?

The only thing that you will need to watch with the GIL is that it sometimes tends to loosen a little and can stay on after you switch the camera off. This has happened to me a few times. If the light on the GIL flashes after turning the camera off, just tighten the attachment screw and it will go off.

Analog6

Me too. I could not get the video of this to run. Can someone post a link to details of the device please?

hcubell

Here are several photos showing the GIL mounted on the camera with and without the RRS L bracket. The required modification of the bracket to make it fit over the GIL is very easy. (I did it!) You just need to file down a bit of the edge of the bracket where it would otherwise contact the GIL. I have circled it in red.

fotografz

Here are several photos showing the GIL mounted on the camera with and without the RRS L bracket. The required modification of the bracket to make it fit over the GIL is very easy. (I did it!) You just need to file down a bit of the edge of the bracket where it would otherwise contact the GIL. I have circled it in red.
Thank you!

-Marc

Jeffg53

Will, it isn't a big deal. I did contact RRS when I first got the GIL. They are aware of the problem but I don't think that the design has changed. They were more worried that I would stuff it and then blame them for it.

Bottom line is that mine was modified over two years back and is still alive and well.

good to hear your plate is still going strong! I have my L plate here but no camera yet! :p should be here monday! yeah the plate hasn't changed i'm pretty certain it said on the site when I ordered it that it wont fit with GIL.

hcubell

The modification is very minor and does not compromise the structural integrity of the bracket. Here is a close up of the area that has been filed.

BJNY

No need to mod....
as there's a second hole that allows mounting of the RRS L-plate about an inch away from the camera body.
I always use this way as it gives me nice left hand grip á lá Pentax 67 wooden grip.

Woody Campbell

Workshop Member
It drains the battery fairly quickly. When the camera sleeps the gps evidently doesn't. It takes a bit longer to lock into satellites than the typical gps - so if you turn the camera off it takes a while to lock in when you turn it on again.

hcubell

No need to mod....
as there's a second hole that allows mounting of the RRS L-plate about an inch away from the camera body.
I always use this way as it gives me nice left hand grip á lá Pentax 67 wooden grip.
Not true. The RRS L bracket won't fit at all unless you move the position of the screw to the second hole so the bracket is offset from the camera body AND shave off some metal. If you look at the photo above where the GIL is mounted, you will see that the bracket has been moved from its "normal" location where it is positioned flush to the body.

yaya

A bit off topic but am I right (from the pics above) in thinking that thread for the tripod plate on the vertical side of the RRS is not in line with the lens's centre?

I recall from my old Contax that I was able to use a standard tripod plat with the RRS and it was dead-on?