Site Sponsors
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Sinar Hy6 first impressions

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Re: Sinar Hy6 first impressions

Thierry - Andrew and his associate actually took the time and trouble to meet me at my farm on a Friday afternoon - which is a pleasant 100km drive out of the CBD. I would enjoy meeting you in melbourne any time. Yes of course the meeting went well - they are very nice and very helpful people and many things were clarified for me at that meeting and in subsequent presentation by Hasselblad in my offices the following week.

The major issue for me (in teh end) had little to do with the hardware - (as you can see by my joke above) in the end it was about software and work flow integration. I am planning two much needed holidays in the near future and I wanted to be ready for Paris in late December/January - hence perhaps my decision before the first quarter next year when I am sure everything will be just right from Sinar and Leaf.

I think I am not a 'typical' customer. I am not a working photographic professional, I have had my arm twisted a few times to do some editorial style work but I really have no interest, I don't really care how much something costs - I am just very very very 'time poor' therefore I place a premium on whether something fits into my eccentric way of thinking or not.

I look forward to Synar and Leaf having much success with their systems as well as Phase One - like many I am not 'married' to any system - I just have ( perhaps unreasonably) high expectations of ease of use.

It is with regret that I say that right now - both Sinar and Leaf do not offer me the ease of use that I require. As I have said - I am sure that things will improve over time. The best response to Hasselblad's 'closed' system is for other consortiums to offer blad users functionality and integration on their camera systems - that would be very smart. I will look at the open system Rollie with great interest for exactly this reason.

All the best
    PeterA

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

I think there are important marketing points being discussed/debated here. And perhaps those that market these products could analyze the dynamics at play to help better market their products. Sorry for the longish post, but I think there is some important "Consumer Insights" being overlooked by marketers of this product.

PLUS, there is still a HOT sales opportunity for some Sinar rep toward the end of my post.

I do not know what other Hy6 demonstrations have yielded, or who said what, about what. I know what I experienced, have read what Peter experienced, and trust my good friend Irakly's impressions perhaps most of all since he owns an extensive Rollei system ... 3 hot prospects for this revolutionary camera/system ... all 3 with experience in MF digital photography ... all 3 no longer HOT prospects as far as I can tell (one lost for sure since Peter has ordered a H3D).

Like Peter, I can pretty much get whatever I deem necessary to fulfill my photographic tasks. In a similar manner, I am somewhat immune to hype concerning incremental nuances deemed as improvements that are quite frankly debatable. When it is my direct experiences, in my studio, using my lighting verses faceless "professional" endorsers ... I win every time ... it's my money not theirs.

Let me go on record as saying that the Hy6 in any Brand form is a VERY nice camera system. It would occupy a high place on the shopping list IF I were starting from scratch. But I wonder how many prospects for this camera are starting from scratch? Not me. Not Peter. Not Irakly. Not anyone I know that is looking at this camera.

I own and use two H3Ds (39 & 31), a Mamiya mount Aptus 75s, and a Hasselblad CFV for use on a 203FE system ... plus a Rollei Xact with a Kapture Group sliding back for the H/39 back.

I was looking at the Hy6 to replace an aging Mamiya RZ system. So comparisons to the H system were/are not revenant, and attacking the H in comparison simply serves to irritate since it is a proven, stable, fast, and highly productive product for me ... where the Hy6 is unproven.

Naturally, my interest first turned to the Leaf AFi version of the Hy6 because I own the latest, greatest Leaf Aptus 75s. Early photo's of the AFi showed an Aptus back just like mine. Imagine my surprise when I was told my one month old, $28,000 Leaf back will not work on the Leaf AFi, that the AFi is a totally different animal !!!! When the Leaf rep came to my studio to demonstrate the AFi, the back was indeed totally different. No one knows what upgrade path will be available, or when (the unknown). No retailer has shown an interest in an upgrade path, or working with me.

Now that leaves Sinar.

Being an open platform, it appears I could use my existing Aptus 75s back on a Sinar Hy6, Is this right or not? If so will it interface without having to resort to sync cords?

As a replacement for the Mamiya RZ this is an improvement I can grasp. As a replacement for the H3Ds, it would NEVER happen.

If I could use my Aptus back with a nominal charge to replace the mount or pay for an adapter, I'd do it in a heart beat. Camera and even a few of the overpriced AF lenses ... probably three AF lenses to start with.

The other question is USA service. I have a highly responsive Hasselblad dealer, where I've no idea who I'd turn to for service issues with Sinar (more unknowns).

SO, where is someone to take my order if this could happen?

Think about it. While not immediately buying a Sinar digital back, I would be in the system and a natural for the next Sinar digital development ... and an ongoing prospect for years to come ... just exactly like I have been for Hasselblad.

thsinar

Dear Marc,

I am honestly not here to make any marketing: I have said this clearly in my introduction post.
    When I compare to the H series, it is because that was the only comparisons which I have seen with my own eyes, and thus able to speak about. I never make any claim without having seen it, experienced it myself, simply based on things I heard.

This being said: again, Leaf is one thing, and I am speaking in the name of Sinar. I won't ever allow myself to speak for them or others.

To your specific questions about the Hy6:

- Any Leaf back which can be mounted to the Leaf AFi and which Leaf SUPPORTS for this Leaf AFi DOES FIT and can be mounted on a Sinar Hy6 as well. This means in clear: if Leaf does not make an AFi adapter for one or the other of their existing model, then it can obvioulsy not be mounted on an Hy6.

- Those backs which can be mounted on a Sinar Hy6 have full integration, without cable

- Support issues with Sinar: I have provided the name and contacts from our official and exclusive distributor for the USA (SBI), as well a list of all the dealers accross the country. Please refer to my other post N 41 below. My knowledge is that they are all very supportive and responsive people and companies.

Now, it is not my intention (and prerogative) to sell you something here, and I doubt there are many "dealers" or "re-sellers" here on this forum. If you which, I can forward your request, but only with your permission, to SBI directly.

Thanks and best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by fotografz View Post

I was looking at the Hy6 to replace an aging Mamiya RZ system. So comparisons to the H system were/are not revenant, and attacking the H in comparison simply serves to irritate since it is a proven, stable, fast, and highly productive product for me ... where the Hy6 is unproven.

Now that leaves Sinar.

Being an open platform, it appears I could use my existing Aptus 75s back on a Sinar Hy6, Is this right or not? If so will it interface without having to resort to sync cords?

As a replacement for the Mamiya RZ this is an improvement I can grasp. As a replacement for the H3Ds, it would NEVER happen.

If I could use my Aptus back with a nominal charge to replace the mount or pay for an adapter, I'd do it in a heart beat. Camera and even a few of the overpriced AF lenses ... probably three AF lenses to start with.

The other question is USA service. I have a highly responsive Hasselblad dealer, where I've no idea who I'd turn to for service issues with Sinar (more unknowns).

SO, where is someone to take my order if this could happen?

Think about it. While not immediately buying a Sinar digital back, I would be in the system and a natural for the next Sinar digital development ... and an ongoing prospect for years to come ... just exactly like I have been for Hasselblad.

Post Thanks / Like

Imagine my surprise when I was told my one month old, $28,000 Leaf back will not work on the Leaf AFi, that the AFi is a totally different animal !!!!
    Leaf and Phase One backs come in fixed mounts which will only work with one camera. These backs must be replaced when changing platforms. Why would you be surprised?

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

You mean the mounts have to be replaced, not backs right? For example, I can have the Aptus 75s Mamiya mount replaced with a Hassselblad V mount for $2,000.

However, what's not clear is whether there is a provision for changing the mount on the Aptus 75s to work on the AFi, ... and when I asked that question I was told that "it isn't that easy because the AFi is a whole different animal" by the head of Leaf USA service. There in lies the "surprise" ... A leaf back that won't work on a Leaf camera.

Do you know something that the head of Leaf Service doesn't foto-z?

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Graham,
    Actually, I believe it's the mount that requires changing as opposed to the back. I was a bit disappointed myself to learn that my recently upgraded Aptus 75S would not fit the AFi. This might change depending on the upgrade path offered but I've yet to hear what those terms might be, despite repeated requests on several forums by some fairly well known photographers using Leaf. It almost feels as if the marketing towards the upgrade buyer is less important to Leaf than the new buyer. I've got no idea what the relative size of these two groups is in the "buying pool" but I suspect, as Marc suggests, that there is a lot more potential with the upgraders.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Perhaps what may not be particularly understood is that the Hy6 represents an investment in the future. The most costly aspect of all this is contained in one element of the system .... the back itself.

The Hy6 camera backs use the same chip. That chip is the same one I already have in the Aptus 75s ... in fact, the software would be the same if I selected the AFi.

So, it is what may come yet in sensor design (6X6?) that makes one think of the Hy6. But to survive long enough to let the larger chips make it to market, it seems that the Hy6 companies would be wise to pave the way for upgrade as quickly as possible. Once in, it's a captive market for the next wave of backs .... which I have to believe is where the money is.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thierry, I appreciate your efforts at clarity, as I am sure others in search for more lucid answers are. That aspect of "marketing" is most welcome IMO.

I would also greatly appreciate a referral for a re-seller in the USA that you know to be informed and responsive. I would like to pursue the notion of inspecting a Sinar Hy6 to replace my RZ system. I am a serious prospect with an extensive investment in MF digital already.

If you prefer private message I can be reached at:

[email protected]

Thank you, Marc Williams

thsinar

Dear Marc,

you are welcome.

I have sent you an email at your address below.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Thierry, I appreciate your efforts at clarity, as I am sure others in search for more lucid answers are. That aspect of "marketing" is most welcome IMO.

I would also greatly appreciate a referral for a re-seller in the USA that you know to be informed and responsive. I would like to pursue the notion of inspecting a Sinar Hy6 to replace my RZ system. I am a serious prospect with an extensive investment in MF digital already.

If you prefer private message I can be reached at:

[email protected]

Thank you, Marc Williams

Samuel Axelsson

You mean the mounts have to be replaced, not backs right? For example, I can have the Aptus 75s Mamiya mount replaced with a Hassselblad V mount for $2,000.

However, what's not clear is whether there is a provision for changing the mount on the Aptus 75s to work on the AFi, ... and when I asked that question I was told that "it isn't that easy because the AFi is a whole different animal" by the head of Leaf USA service. There in lies the "surprise" ... A leaf back that won't work on a Leaf camera.

The Aptus 75s will fit the hy6 with an adapter plate. No problem there...
    The problem is that Leaf won't sell you a separate Hy6 body. You need to purchase the entire system. In your case, you need to upgrade your already purchased 75s. Amazing but true.

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel Axelsson View Post
    The Aptus 75s will fit the hy6 with an adapter plate. No problem there...
    The problem is that Leaf won't sell you a separate Hy6 body. You need to purchase the entire system. In your case, you need to upgrade your already purchased 75s. Amazing but true.
    Pay to upgrade my less than 2 month old Aptus 75s? Charming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

OK maybe it is time for me to clarify the subject of mount changes for the AFi;

1. An Aptus or an Aptus S back in Contax/ Mamiya/ H/ V mount CANNOT be modified to fit the AFi/ Hy6 camera body.
    2. There is no "adapter plate" to mount existing Leaf back models onto the AFi/ Hy6 camera body
    3. Therefore, anyone who trades an existing Aptus or Aptus S back to an AFi camera system, receives a brand new body with a brand new back attached to it.
    4. An AFi body on its own can only be bought in conjunction with buying a complete system (i.e. for backup).
    5. An AFi back on its own can only be bought in conjunction with buying a complete system (i.e. for backup).
    6. The AFi back can be fitted onto an RZ via an adapter designed and made by Leaf
    7. The AFi back can be fitted onto any 4X5 camera via a standard Graflok adapter designed and made by Leaf
    8. Alpa, Cambo and several other LF manufacturers are working on their own adapters that will allow an AFi back to be fitted on their cameras.

Yair
    Yair Shahar | Product Manager | Phase One | Mamiya Leaf
    e: [email protected] | m: +44(0)77 8992 8199 | yaya's blog

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Thanks for the clear explanation Yair. It is basically what I was told by Leaf, and reported here. The thing that will be important to me now is the path from my new Aptus 75s to an AFi.

One VERY important piece of GOOD news I didn't know is the ability to use a AFi back on a RZ via a Leaf designed and made adapter. Cudos to leaf for that. I have an entire RZ system and use a lot of it's speciality lenses and adapters to solve commercail assignments.

Post Thanks / Like

You mean the mounts have to be replaced, not backs right?

See yaya's post

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by foto-z View Post
    See yaya's post
    Like I said, the mount on an Aptus 75s CAN be changed ( Mamiya mount to Hasselblad V for $2,100.) , but it cannot be changed for mounting on the AFi ... which is basically what I said in the missing second half of your edited quote about "my being surprised since the whole back had to swapped for a new one". That is only true for the AFi ... which is the "Surprise" given I could do it before if I chose to.
    Last edited by fotografz; 14th December 2007 at 03:02.

rainer-v

Like I said, the mount on an Aptus 75s CAN be changed ( Mamiya mount to Hasselblad V for $2,100.) , but it cannot be changed for mounting on the AFi ... which is basically what I said in the missing second half of your edited quote about "my being surprised since the whole back had to swapped for a new one". That is only true for the AFi ... which is the "Surprise" given I could do it before if I chose to.
    would be interesting if there are real technical or mechanical reasons behind or if its just "money making". sinar can use also the same backs just with a new adapter. so why not leaf?

Samuel Axelsson

Quote Originally Posted by rainer-v View Post
    would be interesting if there are real technical or mechanical reasons behind or if its just "money making". sinar can use also the same backs just with a new adapter. so why not leaf?
    Because it's "money making" and "customer closing"

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Leaf (and Phase) choose to build specific mounts for different cameras for technical reasons:

1. Safer, more reliable electronic contacts integration (only one set of contacts between the camera and back)
    2. Less chances for optical misalignment due to user error (over tightening of screws etc.) This also means that if there's a problem (that is not related to a viewfinder/ focusing screen issue), we will take full responsibility for re-adjusting the sensor
    3. Each of the 5 mounts we currently make can be fitted on several other platforms without having to un-screw the mount which reduces the risk of damage.
    4. Service: the Aptus backs are designed in a modular way so they can be serviced and repaired by our dealers, therefore the sensor is built into the mount and the rest of the electronics can be swapped by the dealer. This reduces the turnaround time to a minimum (less than 2 HOURS in some cases).
    There is also the marketing aspect: the demand for an interchangeable mounting system is low enough (I know it may look different from reading forums) is low enough not justify the investment in R&D.

Specifically for the AFi there is also the aesthetic side: The AFi back was designed to fit the AFi body with continuos lines, colours and special coating.

Yair

thsinar

Yaya,

1. We don't have particular problems with electronic contacts integration and reliability is not an issue, as far a Sinarbacks are concerned.

2. There is no way that screwing tighter does change the alignment. If you would try screwing a Sinar adapter plate you would notice that the screw "fits" and can't be over-tightened. At least with Sinarback, this is also not an issue and have never had a customer having a focus problem due to this.

3. Sinar does also take full responsibility for sensor misalignment, with the same exceptions concerning viewfinder/focusing screen.

Best regards,
    Thierry

Quote Originally Posted by yaya View Post

1. Safer, more reliable electronic contacts integration (only one set of contacts between the camera and back)
    2. Less chances for optical misalignment due to user error (over tightening of screws etc.) This also means that if there's a problem (that is not related to a viewfinder/ focusing screen issue), we will take full responsibility for re-adjusting the sensor

Yair

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair,
    With all due respect to your marketing research, there are those of us out here using Leaf who would welcome the ability to change adapters and use different cameras. Perhaps those of us on the forums are simply more vocal and not representative of the mainstream. You would know better than I. Nevertheless, as a Leaf user I can't help feeling a bit disappointed that I may need to switch to Sinar in order to shoot the cameras of my choice. I am completely satisfied with my 75S in all other respects.

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by David K View Post
    Yair,
    With all due respect to your marketing research, there are those of us out here using Leaf who would welcome the ability to change adapters and use different cameras. Perhaps those of us on the forums are simply more vocal and not representative of the mainstream. You would know better than I. Nevertheless, as a Leaf user I can't help feeling a bit disappointed that I may need to switch to Sinar in order to shoot the cameras of my choice. I am completely satisfied with my 75S in all other respects.
    As I said the number of people asking for this (not the ones that already own Leaf but those who are looking to buy) is very small and does not justify the investment in changing the current concept. The other aspects I mentioned simply weigh more in the big picture.
    David, what are your 2-3-4 cameras of choice?
    An AFi back will fit the AFi body, RZ, 4X5 (Graflok) and ALPA/Cambo/Linhof etc. wouldn't this range be wide/ versatile enough?
    And by the way Thierry I did not try to insinuate that Sinar are having problems and your stats are after all yours.

BR

Yair

thsinar

It's alright, Yaya.

But since your statements may suggest to some that by using adapters you might have connection/integration problems, and that when screwing an adapter on its place you might not be in the focus plane, I was thinking that it needs a reply and that this is not at all the case with Sinar, and never happened for what I have experienced since adapters exist.

My guess is that it is the same with Hasselblad, but can't speak for them.

Also, according to our statistic and research on people telling that they are willing to change to another camera platform one day or another and want free choice (not those who eventually DO change) is very nearly 50% of the potential buyers, not speaking about the forums.

Best regards,
    Thierry

And by the way Thierry I did not try to insinuate that Sinar are having problems and your stats are after all yours.

BR

Yair

Super Duper

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

A WORD FROM AN END-USER, (deepest apologies for the length):

There seems to be two schools of thought that are emerging as a central decision each end-user has to weigh against their photographic needs.

MORE ADAPTABLE:

Backs such as Sinar (including an Hy6 compatible back), and Hasselblad CF backs that can be used across a fairly wide array of MF cameras via a system of adapters. Why would this appeal to some users? I would suspect there are two key reasons:

1) because a fair amount of photographers have more than one existing MF system, and buying individual "dedicated" backs for each is an expensive proposition. For example, I have always had a 645 (focal plane shutter such as the Contax 645 or Mamiya 645AFD-II) , 6X6 and 6X7 leaf shutter system ( like my Hasselblad 503CW and Mamiya RZ Pro-II) in my gear vault . 645 for mobility and location, 6X6 and 6X7 for studio and some of the speciality application accessories or lenses each system offers to solve a variety of problems. In my experience, no one MF system solves all application needs, especially if you shoot both professionally and personally.

2) the MF business is in flux with some systems being discontinued, while others move forward with new approaches based more on digital capture than anything to do with film.

MORE INTEGRATED:

to one degree or another, "dedicated" backs such as the Hasselblad HD cameras, Phase One backs, and most Leaf backs including their AFi with their dedicated mounts.

In my opinion these will tend to appeal to those with a more singular approach to their photography ... meaning they are primarily a product specialist, landscape shooter, architectural photographer and so on. I also suspect this encompasses the majority of commercial shooters that use a Mf camera and perhaps a view camera with the same back.

What Hasselblad has shown is there are extended benefits of this "integrated" more DSLR type philosophy. How far this will eventually go, and how beneficial it will be to the end user, has yet to be fully explored. In my opinion, Hasselblad has a clear lead in this approach with ever increasing uses of capture data at the software stage ... but it's a lead that is at best temporary.

THE FUTURE AIN'T WHAT IT USED TO BE:

What is not known (at least by me) is how sophisticated a cross platform system of adapters can be in sync with each different camera system's growing complexity of command & control ... and software utilization of camera system data ... all while increasing stability of operation and consistency of image quality.

One thing I can say with some certainty is that I, for one, cannot continue to fund digital capture from multiple platforms. Good, bad or indifferent, I have gravitated to Hasselblad by default as they were "first in, best dressed" to solve my photographic needs, and allowed me to use a vast collection of Zeiss lenses I already had collected. It wasn't without it's "growing pains" to do this, but it is pretty much a done deal.

This leaves me with a complete Mamiya system (645 & RZ) with an Aptus 75s back ... that I am waiting to see what provisions Leaf will provide me to migrate to the AFi (mostly based on cost). That an adapter for my RZ will be available is excellent news because that system's worth is in the using, not in the selling.

THE END-USER ALWAYS GETS THE LAST WORD:

One last word on behalf of an end user ... namely me since I can't speak for anyone else: This entire area of photography is quickly becoming a rarified
    domain of the endlessly wealthy ... not just because of the increasing cost of new MF digital camera systems (proven by the price sheets for the Hy6) ... not just because the upgrade policies have become more aggressively priced ... not because some (not all) warranty extensions have come close to "extortion racketeering" ... but also because of the ancillary expenses associated with mega digital capture. Everything is expanding at an exponential rate in power, sophistication and cost. Not that one need keep up with the Jones', but one has to to keep relatively current based on the competitive marketplace ... it is still a publish or perish world out there ... where speed, quality and price still rule with an iron fist wielded by ever savvy buyers, art directors and even the computer literate public.

thsinar

Thanks Marc, for these thoughtful and interesting comments.

Thierry

A WORD FROM AN END-USER, (deepest apologies for the length):

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Well said Marc. I hope the manufacturers listen.
    Jack
    home: www.getdpi.com

"Perfection is not attainable. But if we chase perfection, we can catch excellence."

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

David, what are your 2-3-4 cameras of choice?
    An AFi back will fit the AFi body, RZ, 4X5 (Graflok) and ALPA/Cambo/Linhof etc. wouldn't this range be wide/ versatile enough?
    Yair
    Yair,
    My MF cameras are the Contax 645 and RZ (and soon Alpa) which, to the best of my knowledge, cannot both be used via adapter with the 75S. It is good to know that the RZ can be used with the AFi back and that is an option I will seriously consider depending on the upgrade path (translated cost).

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Marc,
    Agree with your observations wholeheartedly...

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair,
    My MF cameras are the Contax 645 and RZ (and soon Alpa) which, to the best of my knowledge, cannot both be used via adapter with the 75S. It is good to know that the RZ can be used with the AFi back and that is an option I will seriously consider depending on the upgrade path (translated cost).
    Hey Marc don't give up just yet!

http://www.eco-digital.com/products/.../adapters.html

Check the Contax<>RZ plate...rotating and works quite well. Only difficulty may be in communicating with ECO, but it is worth trying:

Digital Arts Institute LTD.,(D&A)

Tac Sakuramata

5-12-14, Toyokawa, Ibaraki-city, Osaka 567-0057, Japan
    Tel.072-643-9090 Fax.072-643-9738
    [email protected]
    URL. http://www.eco-digital.com/

Workshop Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair,
    I'm aware of the eco-digital adapter but, as you say, communication with them is problematic. Neither I nor Steve Hendrix (who made the effort on my behalf) had any luck with them. I will reserve my decision until I have the opportunity to try the AFi and evaluate the costs. Patience is not my strong suit

Post Thanks / Like
    Images

Yair,
    I'm aware of the eco-digital adapter but, as you say, communication with them is problematic. Neither I nor Steve Hendrix (who made the effort on my behalf) had any luck with them. I will reserve my decision until I have the opportunity to try the AFi and evaluate the costs. Patience is not my strong suit
    Fair enough and sorry for mixing up the names