The GetDPI Photography Forum

Great to see you here. Join our insightful photographic forum today and start tapping into a huge wealth of photographic knowledge. Completing our simple registration process will allow you to gain access to exclusive content, add your own topics and posts, share your work and connect with other members through your own private inbox! And don’t forget to say hi!

Leica S2 and Hasselblad 110/2 Lens

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
Kurt, thanks for sharing your tests of the Zeiss 110/2 lens on the S2. You have an impressive set of S2 glass, but how does the 110/2 compare to the Summarit-S 120/2.5? Since they are closest in focal length, and the MTF of the 120 is so impressive, I'd guess this could be an interesting comparison.

It could be apples to oranges, depending on what you *like* in the images.
I suspect that the Summarit 120/2.5 would kill the Zeiss 110/2 in terms of sharpness. The Zeiss doesn't lack for sharpness, but it is no match for the current set of Summarit lenses.

And, it's AF. While I can focus lenses very well on the S2 with its bright viewfinder (especially when I'm focusing subjects off-center) ... autofocus is, well, autofocus.

I like the Zeiss 110/2 on the S2 for other reasons, however, including the look of the images, the extra stop, etc.

With much sadness, I had to send the whole lot back yesterday as I was just using the system for a week as a test.

Kurt

KurtKamka

Subscriber Member
kurt,
my criticism (i repeat, only of an online jpg) was concerned with the bokeh of the lens, which has nothing to do with the S2.
and just for completeness sake, except the 200mm f2 nikon, i am not a fan of the bokeh produced by (most) nikkor lenses.
and i do like the bokeh of the S 180mm lens.
you are of course right, foliage in medium distance is critical for most lenses bokehwise.
and yes, i am not sold on the S2 but it grows on me. looking forward to the S 120mm Summarit, which according to leica, will start shipping in mid sept.
peter
Peter, sorry for the snide response.

You have every right to express all of your impressions ... it's fascinating all of the angst the S2 introduction has brought out in people. I think that the latest software update in Lightroom (with respect to color and high iso performance) will go a long way in continuing to shape opinions.

You are right about the bokeh of the 180 summarit. It'll be interesting to see if we get an updated S2 lens release schedule at Photokina.

NotXorc

I suspect that the Summarit 120/2.5 would kill the Zeiss 110/2 in terms of sharpness. The Zeiss doesn't lack for sharpness, but it is no match for the current set of Summarit lenses.

And, it's AF. While I can focus lenses very well on the S2 with its bright viewfinder (especially when I'm focusing subjects off-center) ... autofocus is, well, autofocus.

I like the Zeiss 110/2 on the S2 for other reasons, however, including the look of the images, the extra stop, etc.

With much sadness, I had to send the whole lot back yesterday as I was just using the system for a week as a test.

Kurt
Well, it sounds like you got some good experience with the S2. That's much more important than speculative comparisons against a lens that is yet to be released. :D

You also said: "You have every right to express all of your impressions ... it's fascinating all of the angst the S2 introduction has brought out in people. I think that the latest software update in Lightroom (with respect to color and high iso performance) will go a long way in continuing to shape opinions."

Ahh . . . the angst. :angry: I think there is a lot of insecurity in the market, the technology, and the level of craft needed to obtain great results. Those factors make the S2 a lightning rod for controversy.
Speaking of the LR and color performance issue, have you tried RPP with the S2's files? I played with some of Guy and Jack's test files from their S2 review. The rendering is different from LR. I'm not working on a calibrated monitor, so I can't speak to the color issues with any certainty. I like choice, so I just thought I'd mention that option as you are kicking around your new files. Best!!

markowich

hi kurt,
no problem, internet forum discussions also serve to thicken the skin, don't they?---)))
i hear from leica that 24mm and 30-90mm are next, sometime in 2011.
my feeling is that leica is already stretching their design and production capacities. so i do not believe there will be surprises, but of course i could be wrong...
peter

Peter, sorry for the snide response.

You have every right to express all of your impressions ... it's fascinating all of the angst the S2 introduction has brought out in people. I think that the latest software update in Lightroom (with respect to color and high iso performance) will go a long way in continuing to shape opinions.

You are right about the bokeh of the 180 summarit. It'll be interesting to see if we get an updated S2 lens release schedule at Photokina.

f1point0

Kurt, I would love to view the photos from the 110 Hassy and S2 combo. The link listed in the original post is no longer working. Thanks...